Feel like jacking it in ...

quirky

Visit site
Fed up!
Horse on full livery due to family/work commitments meaning I can't always make it up. In reality, this is once a fortnight at the moment but is subject to change on a daily basis at times.
Anyway, so what I'm saying is I don't 'need' to go up, all my horses needs (except riding) are taken care of.
Yard regime is horses out in day, in at night. Now I suspected that she wasn't being given a night net - she goes out at 8am, in at 3-4pm depending when she gets resltless - potentially 17 hours without forage.
I don't feel this is acceptable but if I say anything, I'll get "if you don't like it leave". I have been on there 6 years, in that time more than 10 horses have been chucked off, so it is something that could/does happen.
I can't face trying to find a suitable yard. I had a year of trying to find a yard that suited my mares needs. She's a pain with turnout.
I seriously feel like jacking it all in.

Don't expect anybody to come up with the magic answer, just wanted a moan :(

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Fed up!

I can't face trying to find a suitable yard. I had a year of trying to find a yard that suited my mares needs. She's a pain with turnout.
I seriously feel like jacking it all in.

:(

I'm sorry you feel like that and understand that you are having difficulties outside horses but you can't honestly say that this yard meets your horses needs or is suitable can you?

Visit site
strange full livery if they don't get hay at night! Don't think this yard suits your mare! I realise its difficult with your situation but I would be worried if it was my horse. Cant give any other suitable advice. Don't jack it all in !

Arizahn

Visit site
If you are paying for hay then they had flipping well be feeding it! Otherwise well, what is that part of your bill going on? Full livery is meant to be full care, sounds like breach of contract on their end.

<rants angrily and shakes fists at those responsible>

There you go, OP :) Angry internet shout out for you. Hope you do get this sorted soon though. Poor mare - bet the people responsible wouldn't want to go 17 hours without eating!

LynH

Visit site
Rather than say to them that you don't believe she's been getting any hay why not say you had popped up at 7pm and she didn't have any hay left so please can they give her a larger net that will last most of the night. That way you are not accusing them of not haying her but saying you would like her to have more.

noblesteed

Visit site
Can you ask one of the other liveries to stick a haynet in for you if there isn't one there? Make a load up ready when you have time maybe at the weekend. Then it's easy enough for someone just to grab one and put it in? Surely one of the liveries won't mind doing the hay on the odd day for you?
I wouldn't stay at a yard that wouldn't let my horse eat through the night. I wouldn't be able to sleep for worrying about him colicking or something during the night.

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
Whereabouts are you, Quirky? Maybe somebody will know a yard that would suit better? You say your mare is a pain, I have a barn full of speshul cases, lol, so there are yards that do cater for all sorts of needs.
Cheer up, I know you feel down and I know that feeling quite well x

quirky

Visit site
Rather than say to them that you don't believe she's been getting any hay why not say you had popped up at 7pm and she didn't have any hay left so please can they give her a larger net that will last most of the night. That way you are not accusing them of not haying her but saying you would like her to have more.
The YO would say she's fat. Every horse is over fed according to her. I know she hasn't had a net as I tied it in a particular way.

Do horses have a famine or feast mentality?
When she was on diy, I'd give her a huge night net and there would always be a small amount left by morning. She appears desperate for hay when I give it to her and lasts her no time :(

Jesstickle

Visit site
You can't,eave a horse without forage. Even a fat one. They get ulcers. She needs to feed soaked hay or triple net if she thinks the horse is chubby, not just starve it :mad:

quirky

Visit site
I can't leave haynets around, it's not the done thing.
I can't really ask anybody else to hay her either, that too would be frowned upon.
Maybe it is time to start looking around.
I work a different end of the city now, I haven't really checked out that end.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
The YO would say she's fat. Every horse is over fed according to her. I know she hasn't had a net as I tied it in a particular way.

Do horses have a famine or feast mentality?
When she was on diy, I'd give her a huge night net and there would always be a small amount left by morning. She appears desperate for hay when I give it to her and lasts her no time :(

Yes they can do.
I've had 2 who had been kept short of food before we got them. In one it caused terrible digestive problems for the rest of her life and when we first got her she was extremely proud of her hay, to the point that none could safely go into her stable. The other just used to try to rush into the stable, which meant that she could only be handled by an experienced person.
They did both come right but it took a long time.

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
I can't leave haynets around, it's not the done thing.
I can't really ask anybody else to hay her either, that too would be frowned upon.
Maybe it is time to start looking around.
I work a different end of the city now, I haven't really checked out that end.

Crikey! That is not a healthy relationship with a service provider, sounds like you feel intimidated and I really feel for you :(
I think it is time to find a better yard.

Brenjack

Visit site
Anyway, so what I'm saying is I don't 'need' to go up, all my horses needs (except riding) are taken care of

Don't expect anybody to come up with the magic answer, just wanted a moan :(

Horses needs aren't being taken care of - you yourself have said "17 hours without forage"

Lots of sympathy on here but I'm afraid - perhaps controversially - I think you need to put your horses needs first and speak to yard owner. It's not their decision on whether your horse is overweight etc, its yours. Horses need forage and to trickle feed etc

A difficult discussion is needed or a change of yard

ladyt25

Visit site
Is there no way you can go there on an evening? Is the yard a long way from you or something? Sorry, but there is NO way I would leave a horse all night with no food to pick at. The point of horses is the are grazing animals and hence their guts need to be digesting food. You leave them without and you are asking for trouble. Yes, of course they do snooze so sometimes are not eating but really though horses should have access to food all the time ideally. A friend of mine was on a yard where the owners brought their own horses in in the day and gave no hay (god knows why). They continually had horses with gut problems and lost at least two I believe to colic. How on earth they do not see a connection between that and their horses management is beyond me!

quirky

Visit site
Horses needs aren't being taken care of - you yourself have said "17 hours without forage"

Lots of sympathy on here but I'm afraid - perhaps controversially - I think you need to put your horses needs first and speak to yard owner. It's not their decision on whether your horse is overweight etc, its yours. Horses need forage and to trickle feed etc

A difficult discussion is needed or a change of yard
I don't think I have any fight in me sadly :(.
Now I know she isn't getting a net then I can make sure she does by going myself. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that I can get there.
Come winter we have a boarder who tops her up if I can't get. She is of the same mind as me re having access to forage and goes up late enough to miss YO.

quirky

Visit site
Is there no way you can go there on an evening? Is the yard a long way from you or something?
Yard is 15 miles. The issue is taking my young(ish) children after school if OH is working away. Obviously it isn't an issue at the moment with holidays, so I am getting up. Last time I missed a night was 2 weeks ago.
It has only just dawned on me that she isn't being fed. I was surprised how long an open bale had lasted and how damned pleased the horse has been to see me. Put 2 and 2 together.

Silvermiyazawa

Visit site
I have only left one yard due to being unhappy. It took far too long to realise this but when the 2nd winter approached and the fields were "temporarily" closed again I left within 3 weeks (the time it took for a stable to become at the yard were I remained until my horse was pts aged 27). When I went to the first yard I specifically asked about winter turn out and was assured that they may have to stay in for the odd few days but this was no problem. They actually came in in November and went back out in April. I had no light in my stable and there was no hacking. WHY did I not leave that first winter? Looking back I was insane but I just kept thinking it would get better. When I moved yards it was like I got my horse back again. Bite the bullet - find a new yard. I did and had many more wonderful years with my horse.

doriangrey

Visit site
Tbh, if what you have said is true, I'd have the fight in me. If I was paying full livery I would expect that by the very least my horse's basic needs would be met, which would definitely include her being fed appropriately. If I found out that my horse was without food for 7 hours never mind 17 I would be reading the riot act to the yard owner and if I was threatened with eviction then I would be explaining politely how any potential liveries would be enlightened as to how the yard was being run in the interests of animal welfare. I would then explain I would be working out my notice until I found a new yard, and in the meantime if the care of my horse was not carried out to the letter the appropriate authorities would be notified. Don't be a pushover - the horse can't put her foot down you have to do it for her. Good luck.

Brenjack

Visit site
Tbh, if what you have said is true, I'd have the fight in me. If I was paying full livery I would expect that by the very least my horse's basic needs would be met, which would definitely include her being fed appropriately. If I found out that my horse was without food for 7 hours never mind 17 I would be reading the riot act to the yard owner and if I was threatened with eviction then I would be explaining politely how any potential liveries would be enlightened as to how the yard was being run in the interests of animal welfare. I would then explain I would be working out my notice until I found a new yard, and in the meantime if the care of my horse was not carried out to the letter the appropriate authorities would be notified. Don't be a pushover - the horse can't put her foot down you have to do it for her. Good luck.

THIS absolutely

quirky

Visit site
Moan heard. It's a bu663r, and I have no useful suggestions for you..... xx
Thank you :eek:. Lord knows which way this will go.
Been doing a bit of Google and have found some alternatives. I don't want to jump out of the frying pan and all that.

honetpot

Visit site
First of all I feel really sorry for you, I have had a horse, children and a husband who works away a lot. I would look for somewhere with more turnout, even if there are less facilities and would want to get things sorted before winter.
I can not imagine anyone leaving a horse in with nothing to eat for so long, if they are worried about her weight it should have been discussed with you and she should have soaked hay and straw ot what ever you thought appropriate.