Feeling a bit 'boggled and directionless'!

palo1

Visit site
I have hit a bit of a spot with my young horse and not sure of the best way to move forward. She is a very sweet 5 yo. Nearly 16hh full Welsh D (Maesmynach lines but fairly traditional really). Here she is:-

Optimized-IMG_20210402_155331_2-min-min.jpg

Probably not the most flattering photo but she is well enough made and a good enough brain to make a lovely all round sort of horse for me. I love her!! The lack of direction is coming from limited time and funds on my part. Current instructor feels we can do a bit of everything and so far Alw has been absolutely willing to try her hoof at all sorts. She is easy for me to load, tack up etc etc so I am sure that I can take her out and about on my own. She is reasonably sharp but not daft. She is a lovely, happy hack - great in open country, happy in company and equally relaxed on her own. She can cope with all manner of things without having lost that charming random 'Welsh' reaction which keeps me thinking lol. She will happily pop logs, ditches, trot through water etc when we are out hacking. We haven't tried training over xc courses yet. In the school Alw is showing good potential for jumping; so far not much experience but tremendously honest, keen and makes a nice shape. We are just poddling about over very short courses at 60-70cm but only in training. I don't doubt that we can step up in height, complexity and even proficiency. I will probably never want to compete over about 80/90 xc but I love having a horse that can jump and used to love riding across country in a competitive setting! Also, so far Alw is charm personified but certainly not especially speedy. That may change and she is getting more efficient all the time. I don't especially like showjumping tbh and can't see wanting to head in that direction! Flatwork is a work in progress but she is doing a great job; good brain, enjoys learning, quite bendy, happy to play a little sideways so far!!

Clearly, at just 5 (in a few days) she is not established in any way but seems a versatile sort of horse at quite a low level. She is not 'forcing' me down any particular route as a result of her inclinations at this point. I don't want to underestimate her one bit but I have no desire to live and breathe for competition at the moment. In the winter I hope she can and will enjoy trail or drag hunting; certainly not long or hard days in the next year but eventually I would hope she could be out for as long as I want to be. We have brilliant hacking here at home and my family all ride so fun rides are not especially appealing for the summer (no-one here sees the point of paying to drive off and ride anywhere else though I do enjoy occasional fun rides with friends!).

So, whilst I am immensely proud of my girl and feel blessed to have such a sweet mare and lovely outriding to enjoy her, I would like to re-enter the competitive fray in some way. I am not quite sure why other than that I would like a bit of a challenge and I am aware of the march of time... My older horse has given a huge amount and is in fabulous form but I don't want to ask him to compete in dressage; he is a horribly unreliable jumper and is best suited to either endurance (his original job description), hunting (he adores that) or spinning around out hacking!! He has been 'out of the gate' on many, many occasions, never let me down and I wanted a young horse so that he could just enjoy life. He is only 15 but very, very dear to me.

Sorry to be so long-winded; just setting the scene! The thing is that I know how easily time can be lost or frittered away with horses and I feel that in the next year I should try to find out what we will be best suited to enjoying as a partnership. That would be pretty easy if I had loads of money and/or loads of time. Any competitive venue will be over an hour away from me at home and trips out are expensive. I am not used to spending lots of dosh on competing!!

How would you move forwards? In all honesty I enjoy flatwork and can see the appeal of dressage. Maybe we could aim for Novice?!! (Feels very brave putting that on paper). Much work to be done but great local instructors and venues reasonably easy to get to. Is 'Native Dressage' a thing? Bit intimidated by friends that head out weekly for BD comps but can work around that as long as we are having fun!

Arena eventing; know nothing about it but imagine it is great fun and possibly more accessible (in venue and cost terms) than traditional eventing? Please correct me if I am wrong.

I honestly think that BE is out of our budget tbh; I would want training in all 3 elements, may need additional tack, entry fees are high and venues seem miles and miles away :( I remember how eventing was, back in the day and it really is long days, lots of money, potential crashing disappointment lol!! I still quite enjoyed it tbh but was mad, single and bold. I am no longer single or particularly bold though have become much more 'thinking' as a rider so that possibly mitigates losing a degree of madness!

Hunter trials would be great fun I think on this mare but are they even really a thing now? Showing is likely to be disastrous owing to my innate inability to stay up till dawn cleaning hunting tack with a toothbrush!! Done it once, won the class, never again...o_O:rolleyes:;)

What would you 'aim for' - possibly with a 'bit on the side' as it were so that money and 'competitive mojo' were satisfied without exhausting or bankrupting you if you were me? Personally speaking I am not talented in any particular way but happy to put the work in to enjoy rewards on my own terms. Even happy to fail horribly if we are safe and genuinely doing our best lol. I haven't been out competing for a few years now so the landscape feels rather 'foreign' but I kind of want to make the most of this new interest in 'formal' stuff...

DirectorFury

Visit site
Why limit yourself to BD Novice? I think it was MP who said any horse (injuries/confo etc allowing) could go to at least Advanced (sorry mp if this wasn’t you ?) - OK you might not be troubling the huge fancy WBs at that level but it’s worth a bash! BD do a Native Champs with quite a few levels you could aim for.

I think you’re a fair bit further north east than me but there are a couple of hunter trials around Carmarthen/Swansea/Cardiff and I imagine a few Abergavenny way? If you end up over Swansea way (thinking Pembrey) then I’m happy to provide either ground support or a pairs horse if you want company!

I feel your pain about BE, that was always my aim but I’m at least 2 hours each way from my nearest venue and the time and fuel cost on top of entry+membership+training just isn’t realistic :(.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
How about endurance?

It's relatively cheap I believe and my friend that competed ended up doing a bit of everything in their fitness training. As far as I'm aware she didn't need anything in the way of special tack or equipment.

palo1

Visit site
How about endurance?

It's relatively cheap I believe and my friend that competed ended up doing a bit of everything in their fitness training. As far as I'm aware she didn't need anything in the way of special tack or equipment.

Been there and done that with my older horse! I don't think my mare would be wildly well suited to endurance tbh and I stopped enjoying the 'courses' other than a few so again, travel became a bit of a bind. After novice level, endurance can be pretty tech heavy which is fine but it's just not something I want to go back to. :)

palo1

Visit site
Why limit yourself to BD Novice? I think it was MP who said any horse (injuries/confo etc allowing) could go to at least Advanced (sorry mp if this wasn’t you ?) - OK you might not be troubling the huge fancy WBs at that level but it’s worth a bash! BD do a Native Champs with quite a few levels you could aim for.

I think you’re a fair bit further north east than me but there are a couple of hunter trials around Carmarthen/Swansea/Cardiff and I imagine a few Abergavenny way? If you end up over Swansea way (thinking Pembrey) then I’m happy to provide either ground support or a pairs horse if you want company!

I feel your pain about BE, that was always my aim but I’m at least 2 hours each way from my nearest venue and the time and fuel cost on top of entry+membership+training just isn’t realistic :(.

What a very kind offer DF!! Thank you. BD Novice feels like an awfully long way off - anything else would need me to go and lie down in a dark room at the moment! We haven't even done an unaffiliated intro (instructor says I should, just to give Alw the experience - I want to spend more time and money training then possibly start at affiliated Prelim. I dream big HHO!! :D:D) . I know that Novice in itself is not hugely complex...but at the same time it would still be a reasonable aspiration at this point in time. I sort of thought if I could see Novice on the horizon it might help me to work on the fundamentals.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Just do everything and anything! I always did whatever took our fancy at the time. We never cracked individual XC but that was about it (spent more time worrying about the girlfriend)

If you are currently seeing the appeal of dressage do the dressage, it's never going to be detrimental to anything else! Come autumn enjoy some hunting and see what you then fancy in 2022 :D

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
From your descriptions on here, BD novice doesn't sound wildly far off where you are now tbh. If you have a venue nearbyish you might as well have a go at a few unaffiliated and see if you like it. Dressage is cheap enough to not worry if it turns out you hate it/it's a disaster. Maybe get your instructor to run through a test with you and see what she thinks?

Other than that, sj is pretty accessible as long as you don't have a horse that needs a lot of repetition in between outings. Or it might be worth looking into Trec? I know very little about it, other than the people who do it rave about it

maya2008

Visit site
She is young yet. I would gently move forwards with both the jumping and the dressage and see which she takes to more. It should be apparent in the next year or so, as you begin to ask more of her.

My little mare is nearly six. She will happily school for me because I ask it, but does not love it like her older brother does. She hasn’t done much though, as she was going to be a child’s pony, so the focus was on a safe and sensible ride, not dressage. Last winter (at five and a half) she decided she liked the idea of jumping. So we are giving that a gentle go and she is very careful, while enjoying herself. We will probably dabble in both for a bit, and see which she prefers.

alibali

Visit site
If there's anywhere near you that does TREC I'd suggest that, even just the arena version without the orienteering part. It's great education for a young horse. Also very friendly from the little that I've done. If your horse is well mannered and responsive then that's half the battle.

southerncomfort

Visit site
As above, I've booked me and my youngster on to a TREC obstacle training day which I'm really looking forward to.

The same venue also runs stressless dressage comps which are very popular and seem to be a good intro for young horses.

palo1

Visit site
From your descriptions on here, BD novice doesn't sound wildly far off where you are now tbh. If you have a venue nearbyish you might as well have a go at a few unaffiliated and see if you like it. Dressage is cheap enough to not worry if it turns out you hate it/it's a disaster. Maybe get your instructor to run through a test with you and see what she thinks?

Other than that, sj is pretty accessible as long as you don't have a horse that needs a lot of repetition in between outings. Or it might be worth looking into Trec? I know very little about it, other than the people who do it rave about it

I think we are a long way off BD novice just now @DabDab but I don't think it would be ridiculous to think it possible - even with my budget and lack of time, it just may take a bit longer :) We don't seem to have much unaffiliated dressage here but yes, I would use those opportunities for experience. Unaffiliated is only really cheaper because of the affiliation/registration fee I think? If I am going to dress up and head out in public I may as well go the whole hog I reckon. But there may be RC opportunities which I haven't yet explored including a bit of light xc. Gawd. I do enjoy dressage outings - all very clean and tidy and even with 2 tests, often over by lunch time!! Usually there are some positive comments and things to aim for once one has recovered from the total devastation of not coming first or totally wowing the judges...Lol. I have a friend that does Trec and yes, Alw would be suitable for that but it is usually miles and miles away. I will have a look at that though. I agree @maya2008 that Alw may show particular preferences as she matures and of course I would try to work with those. Happy horse is absolutely essential to my enjoyment - hence the senior horse being let off the hook! He was a fabulous horse to take places and was easy as anything but I came to realise that his 'game face' was not the same as his 'yippeeeee - face'! I prefer him loving what he does so that is where he is at.

Lexi_

Visit site
I’m not a competitive person at all, so feel free to ignore this! The bit that stood out to me from your opening post was that you said you didn’t want to waste the next year. Could you set yourself a mini taster year instead? No pressure to be immediately fantastic at anything and it’d spread some of the costs a bit. Just pick one thing a month that’s local-ish and captures your fancy.

Do the intro one month, find a hunter trial the next, mini clear round jumping the one after, a TREC competition, anything else that takes your fancy after that or start focusing on the dressage a bit more... By this time next year you’ll have had a fab 12 months and she’ll be able to turn her hoof to anything.

scats

Visit site
Your horse sounds fabulous!
If you feel you need a bit of direction or something to aim for competition wise, have a go at whatever you fancy! You might do a couple of dressage tests and decide you really enjoy it. Or go and do a bit of showjumping. You don’t need to put yourself in a bracket if you don’t want.

I enjoy dressage and I train with someone who has no doubts we’ll get to Advanced (she has far more faith than me!) but it’s certainly not the be all and end all for me. I have just as much fun whizzing around the countryside, meeting friends at farm rides- flying over logs and splashing through water. Each weekend in the summer is different for us, we might compete one weekend, go to a farm ride for a blast the next weekend and have a lesson the weekend after. Millie loves it and I love it. We’ll never be the most competitive out there, but we enjoy our occasionally dabble in dressage (though we prefer galloping around the countryside!)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I was going to suggest riding club if you have an active one within reach, just from the pov of affordable access to different types of comps etc, I went to the champs to do the music test before I got overqualified and it was as much fun as BD and a bit less WB-filled.

Echo the posts above, novice will be utterly achievable and yes the BD native champs is a nice show to aim at.
The national pony society do some dressage shows..... I think its breed based rather than height ? they are prelim and novice I think.
But BD has a fair bit of diversity so don't feel like you can't just jump straight in.

daffy44

Visit site
Firstly, congratulations on producing a lovely, well rounded youngster! Thats an achievement, well done. Alw is still young, I dont think you need to pressure yourself to specialize in any one thing, just do whatever grabs you and enjoy it. Otherwise I totally agree with MP.

I was going to suggest riding club if you have an active one within reach, just from the pov of affordable access to different types of comps etc, I went to the champs to do the music test before I got overqualified and it was as much fun as BD and a bit less WB-filled.

Echo the posts above, novice will be utterly achievable and yes the BD native champs is a nice show to aim at.
The national pony society do some dressage shows..... I think its breed based rather than height ? they are prelim and novice I think.
But BD has a fair bit of diversity so don't feel like you can't just jump straight in.

palo1

Visit site
Thank you for all the good suggestions and encouragement! It is very kind. :) I just suddenly found, after doing the 'baby stuff' with Alw for 2 years that at just about 5, I had no clue what to do next! The last few horses have been easy as have either been working towards becoming sensible family citizens for our children, mannerly hunters for my son and I or for endurance so the 'path' as such has been clear. All of those horses have shown quite particular likes and dislikes (or their riders have lol!!) so there was always a clear 'aim' albeit with a happy horse as priority. I haven't ever had such a 'level' young horse in terms of all round fun, nor have I been in a place in my riding life where so many doors have been open but with such a limited budget and the understanding that we have to make the most of the now. I have been guilty of a bit of complacency in the past - thinking that 'I will do that next year'. Sometimes, next year never happens...So, with my sweet pony here I must make the very most of what is available to us. I will check out the local RC; I am not by inclination a 'joiner' (and I hate having to help with blooming show-jumping classes which seems compulsory for some reason!!) but I can do other stuff and that will hopefully give me access to a range of things. I will also check out 'native' specific opportunities and I will continue to enjoy some fabulous long rides in the local hills; they are teaching my girl to be very clever and 'thinky'!! This weekend she loved a gallopy-canter (not quite got the hang of full out gallop under saddle) on the open hill and it was wonderful. If we don't 'achieve' other things, that in itself is a privelage. But watch this space!! (well, do that but don't hold your breath - we move slowly in these parts lol).

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I think we are a long way off BD novice just now @DabDab but I don't think it would be ridiculous to think it possible - even with my budget and lack of time, it just may take a bit longer :) We don't seem to have much unaffiliated dressage here but yes, I would use those opportunities for experience. Unaffiliated is only really cheaper because of the affiliation/registration fee I think? If I am going to dress up and head out in public I may as well go the whole hog I reckon. But there may be RC opportunities which I haven't yet explored including a bit of light xc. Gawd. I do enjoy dressage outings - all very clean and tidy and even with 2 tests, often over by lunch time!! Usually there are some positive comments and things to aim for once one has recovered from the total devastation of not coming first or totally wowing the judges...Lol. I have a friend that does Trec and yes, Alw would be suitable for that but it is usually miles and miles away. I will have a look at that though. I agree @maya2008 that Alw may show particular preferences as she matures and of course I would try to work with those. Happy horse is absolutely essential to my enjoyment - hence the senior horse being let off the hook! He was a fabulous horse to take places and was easy as anything but I came to realise that his 'game face' was not the same as his 'yippeeeee - face'! I prefer him loving what he does so that is where he is at.

Sorry if that read as patronising, it wasn't how it was written, I promise! Just wasn't clear from your OP whether you had ever been to a competitive dressage outing.

Sounds like you'll spend a year doing similar to me. I'm not particularly competitive by nature so I bob around from one discipline to another, but was always fairly restricted with my older lad, so am looking forward to having a good year of varied outings now I have two lovely versatile youngsters. Will look forwards to seeing updates with you and Alw, from everything you post she sounds like a fabulous youngster

palo1

Visit site
Sorry if that read as patronising, it wasn't how it was written, I promise! Just wasn't clear from your OP whether you had ever been to a competitive dressage outing.

Sounds like you'll spend a year doing similar to me. I'm not particularly competitive by nature so I bob around from one discipline to another, but was always fairly restricted with my older lad, so am looking forward to having a good year of varied outings now I have two lovely versatile youngsters. Will look forwards to seeing updates with you and Alw, from everything you post she sounds like a fabulous youngster

That is very kind and I didn't think you were patronising at all :) How fab to have 2 lovely young'uns!! Dressage has never really been a 'thing' for me though I have gone along to do various dressage outings over the years; either to keep friends company, to make up numbers in a team or some other reason! I don't know much about BD classes tbh but did benefit years ago from training with a really good teacher. Typically that was when I was young and only interested in jumping of course...but I did take some notice and had the benefit of riding some lovely horses who knew what they were doing, with a teacher who worked round my interest in leaving the ground! In spite of myself I loved that training and would really like to revisit it now. It is quite funny though - my older horse has quite stunning movement and is a very elegant chap but has absolute zero enjoyment in more 'formal' flatwork; he finds it dull and after a beautiful 10 minutes switches off so we never really make progress. Alw does not have the same quality of movement bless her but seems far more interested in trying at the moment. She loves all the 'other' stuff too; the beautifying, the standing around looking at everyone else, the attention of our trainer (who she follows like a lamb lol). Alw thinks she is the bees knees!! The spotted beauty was NEVER interested and flatwork has always been negotiated with him. He just wants to go as far as he can as fast as he can and cares not a jot for beautifying or admiring glances! Such is life and tbh this is part of what has made me think that if I want to try stuff out, I should do it now; waiting for the right 'moment' with the right horse may never come.

DirectorFury

Visit site
Alw does not have the same quality of movement bless her but seems far more interested in trying at the moment. She loves all the 'other' stuff too; the beautifying, the standing around looking at everyone else, the attention of our trainer (who she follows like a lamb lol). Alw thinks she is the bees knees!!
She sounds very similar to mine, you might find the very nice and expressive paces come out in a competition environment with a lot of people watching - they can turn ‘it’ on and off quite impressively! I think this thread is slightly lacking photos though ;).

I can’t quite put the ‘it’ into words but anyone who’s dealt with/shown a Welsh will know what I mean :D.

palo1

Visit site
Ah, yes the 'it' factor!! I agree, I am very short on photos and will try to post more even if only as a thank you for advice.:D Most of my photos are blurred images of her doing 'nose pirouettes' or looking sweetly plump which is rather mortifying.:oops: However, she can certainly achieve very 'Welsh' and totally unexpected levels of elevation and collection when she fancies. I have not a clue how I would go about channelling those...

In the meantime; potential superstar:

Attachments

• IMG_20201201_084628 (2) (1).jpg
    IMG_20201201_084628 (2) (1).jpg
    967.7 KB · Views: 14
  • imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-BS8pkqZ7NkF.jpg
    imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-BS8pkqZ7NkF.jpg
    420.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20200808_151151_0 (2)-compressed-11zon.jpg
    IMG_20200808_151151_0 (2)-compressed-11zon.jpg
    732.6 KB · Views: 15

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
ermm Frank new exactly when he did or did not have an audience, and whether a bell had or had not rung. There were occasions where I use to make bell noises at home :p
I think it's a welsh thing. Was never worth getting stroppy with him in a warm up- he knew when we went down the centre line so was just saving himself really.

palo1

Visit site
If you want to have a dabble at dressage from the comfort of your own home, why not take a look at online dressage. It would give you an idea of how you’re doing without the faff and travel costs.

That is a good idea. I don't have an arena at home nor anywhere really I could 'create' one with letters. We have a muck heap in the middle of our only flat bit though I use it for schooling when it is neither bog nor concrete lol!! My instructor has said we could film at hers which could work and would be less hassle and cheaper so we could try that but I don't mind the odd experimental outing to comps either. Nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that!!

Wheels

Visit site
She sounds like a fantastic and well rounded young horse with potential to go off and do whatever you both want to do. This is very similar to M when he was of a similar age and all in all have continued in that vein and he is now, at 8 years old, a fantastic all rounder who will go anywhere and do anything. At various points in time we have concentrated on something specific, on the lead up to a big county show for example we spent a couple of months concentrating on working hunter and showing shows in order to prepare him for that and another time we were concentrating on pure dressage as we were aiming for qualification scores for the nationals (which we did qualify for but then that was cancelled due to COVID). But most of the time I spend my weeks hacking, flat schooling, jumping at home, XC schooling, arena hires for SJ / WH and going to the beach. He is ready at any point to go and do anything. He is schooled up to medium level dressage and happy to pop a course of 1.10 (althoug I prefer to stick a little lower than that!)

I think if you want to become expert in something so really aiming high in a specific discipline or are aiming for a scpecific show then it is good to concentrate on that particular discipline but otherwise it's good for horse and rider to go and do whatever you fancy.

Wheels

Visit site
And I would also add that flatwork is the key to everything else you want to do so even if you dont compete in dressage, improving flatwork is still a very good way to go

palo1

Visit site
Yes, flatwork and hacking are the basis of everything I do think though not all horses have read that book!! I have had a look at what is available to me locally and what is realistic. Currently the local RC are not really advertising any dressage but that may change. Probably the cheapest and simplest dressage competition route would be to sign up for My Quest. I could then tootle off to the handiest venue and probably look at 3 or 4 competitive days out before the end of the summer. Possibly more if that was all going well. :) IF I wanted to try to qualify for the Native Champs (which I love the sound of but regs seems rather complex?) I don't have much time in all honesty to do that without a bit more hassle but it wouldn't matter if this year was a dry run in any case. I am not desperate to shine at Prelim, without dissing the importance of this level, and we may need much more time to even get that sorted... !! That would mean that I could continue to enjoy 3 lessons a month working on flatwork and jumping and afford to do those comps. It wouldn't mean too much commitment to travelling and I would still be able to experiment with other things. I think that would also leave me enough time and money to go to the occasional more 'serious' training session/lesson/clinic, ride with my family and not feel that I am suddenly on some kind of treadmill.

I think that would be a good plan! Thank you. We have a plan that includes a bit of everything with a little competitive spice to liven me up. :) :) I don't think that this will be 'intensive' for Alw. I may consider an Intro outing in the next month if I can find a local one...

palo1

Visit site
So, I have a flexible plan coming together; I have found opportunities to do unaffiliated intros and prelims very locally, potentially with some BD Prelims slightly further away. I have found a couple of potential clinics that we could do prior to competitive outings so we could practice the slightly more tricky environment of somewhere new with other horses etc but without having to either do a venue hire on my own or sacrifice competition entry money for the sake of pure 'acclimatisation'. I don't really want to ask dear Alw to head off somewhere new and concentrate whilst I am not the most relaxed I can be. A clinic or two in different places with other horses present will be a great thing to do and will be more constructive I think than a solo arena hire or throwing away a test opportunity.

At the moment I have no idea really how things might go hence allowing for both unaffiliated (v cheap, v local) and BD MyQuest (slightly more expensive, further away) directions. I recognise that it is probably a good idea to experiment with unaffiliated stuff this summer; it will help to give me an idea of where we are at without much hassle or expense. It will allow me to spend a bit more money on training which is much needed and enjoyed. That may make BD next year more successful and enjoyable (in theory!!) If it goes well (it would have to go really quite well) I could pick up BD stuff at Prelim a bit later this summer though. That would make any youthful (for Alw!) qualification for the Native Champs very, very unlikely/virtually impossible as I really don't want to be travelling miles and miles to find prelim tests this summer to get the qualifying scores (ha!!) but that is fine and many things may be possible.

It feels really, really odd to be considering competing again...I feel pretty brave even acknowledging that this is something I would like to have a crack at and even more odd to be able to name specific bits of the journey and a 'target'. Get me!! I have to go and have a lie down now...:p:p

palo1

Visit site
I can't wait to hear how you get on.
Waving my Team Alw banner from afar ????????

Aw, thank you :) I have just done the sums for very basic training and very basic competing. It's really not much but still feels like a fair committment. How do people do this??! I will have to compete in tweed with current tack (all fine actually) so no tack or kit allowance here. Diesel can come out of the everyday pot and I will have to take my own refreshments lol!! Training at this point is of the very cheap sort but I really like my instructor, she is very local, proving to be very encouraging and effective. I have got a bit of flex in being able to go to a more expensive 'specialist' if walking and trotting satisfactorily is beyond us. This 'cheap' training also includes a bit of everything and instructor is happy to video etc. She has a successful (and current) competing record. I have faith in her and Alw loves her. :) I really will have to master walk, trot and possibly canter within that setting I believe lol!! It is very peculiar to think of needing specialist help with intro/prelim dressage and I hope that is not required at an industrial level but who knows?!

When my kids tell me that I am the 'meanest Mother' it will have a whole other meaning this summer!! Looking down the back of the sofa at this very minute...

ETA - Just realised that most tests cost the same as a fun ride. I don't usually bother with them so in another way perhaps it isn't so expensive...