Feeling anxious and uneasy......is it me or is this all a bit odd?

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
My horse went on a 2 week trial 2 weeks ago today. They are nice, experienced people who are fairly well known locally and could provide him with the perfect hacking home. This was the only reason I agreed to a trial.

Had no doubts whatsoever that he would be fine as I know my lovely boy, I know how lovely and genuine he is both on the ground and ridden. Didn’t want to seem over-bearing/pestering so didn’t want to text them too much these last couple of weeks but I have texted a few times asking how he is and how they are getting on, they replied ‘fine, he is absolutely fab’ ‘Fine, seems like he has been here years, had lovely hacks on him’ They texted me last weekend saying ‘Just had a lovely hack on him  when are his jabs due’ I was so pleased and said so and told them when his vacs were due. Didn’t hear anything all last week but on Sat dropped a quick text to say do they have any thoughts now, nearly 2 weeks on on whether they want him. If so, could I drop his passport and rest of his stuff (and get money) for him over the weekend at some point as Mon I would be back to work after 10 days off and so driving over (an hours drive away) Mon evening after work may be a problem if I have to stay at the office late. I got a text back saying ‘will speak to mum and let you know’

That was it. It is now Mon, the 2 week trial period is now over and tbh I want an answer. I would have rung them but have been in and out of meetings all day and manic. I texted them an hour ago saying ‘Hello, what is happening then please?’ and got a text back ‘Who is this?’ WTF? I texted back saying who it was and have nothing back?

I’m not being funny but not once in the 2 weeks have any issues/problems been reported to me. Whenever we’ve spoken it’s been nothing but positives and praise. One of my instructors competed where he is kept last week and said she went and saw him and he seemed well looked after and happy.

Why am I not being contacted or given a straight answer? Yes they could just be busy but if I had someone’s horse on trial for 2 weeks and today was D-Day it would be the first thing on my mind.

I hate trials and would never normally have agreed to one but like I said, they are perfect home for him if they decide to take him. I just really hope I don’t regret agreeing to something that I didn’t really want to agree to in the first place.

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
I would call them and say two weeks are now up and you would like payment and you will fetch other stuff and p port over , if they pay up get cash or direct bank transfer. Not a cheque. I would not give them any more time just say its today and you will be over soon. I do hope they don't turn out to be freeloaders just wanting a horse for half term!!!

Hoofprints in the Snow

Visit site
I think you need to pester them a bit. If you don't get an answer then I'd go and get him back. Sounds as if they are mucking you about a bit. I doesn't matter if they are busy, so are you, and a deal is a deal if the agreed two weeks are up.

Fanatical

Visit site
To be honest, I would be driving straight over there this afternoon with your trailer/ lorry. They either make the payment for him today or you bring him home.

I'd be more than uneasy about the situation.

Mithras

Visit site
Phone them up and speak to them. If they pfaff around with payment, go and get him back, and say if they want him, they can pay for him.

I've been slightly suspicious of local family farm PC type homes (not sure if this is one) since advertising a brilliant horse for sale and being inundated with that type wanting a free loan.

quirky

Visit site
Did they not pay in full before the trial?
I know that's what I have done when buying my last two horses.

I would be ringing them, none of this texting malarkey!

shannonandtay

Visit site
I think what would worry me is the fact that when you have text them today they asked who you were and when you have explained, they haven't come back to you. I don't want to worry you, but that doesn't sound right to me. Call them as soon as you can. Let us know how you get on.

Leg_end

Visit site
To be honest, I would be driving straight over there this afternoon with your trailer/ lorry.

Did they not pay in full before the trial?
I know that's what I have done when buying my last two horses.

I would be ringing them, none of this texting malarkey!

100% agree with the above posters. Alarm bells would be ringing very loudly right now. I'd call them, leave a message asking to call you urgently and I'd be at the yard waiting for them. Then I'd call saying I was there with the lorry and they could come up and pay or you'd be taking the horse back there and then.

Unacceptable behaviour IMO.

ShadowFlame

Visit site
To be honest, I would be driving straight over there this afternoon with your trailer/ lorry. They either make the payment for him today or you bring him home.

Ditto. If the money's not there, horse on the box and gone.

Beausmate

Visit site
Have you got another number or email address for them? The fact that you got a 'who is this?' reply and no further response makes me wonder if their phone has been stolen or something. A long shot maybe, but these things do happen and if they only have your number stored on the phone then they're a bit stuck.

Although they could probably look it up from the original ad?

Sounds odd anyway and I'd be a bit concerned not hearing anything.

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
Well- just phoned.

Daughter answered and said she was just about to text me back. Said that my horse is really being bought for her mum now (which I kind of knew, they said he would be ridden by daughter and mum) rather than a share and so it will be her mum that would need to speak to me. She said her mum is currently at an auction so could she ring me either tonight when she gets back or tomorrow morning. I said I was obviously a bit concerned but she assured me everything is fine and that he is fab and both her and the mum have been riding him- no issues and that he was as happy as larry. I’m at work and had loads of people listening in, plus I don’t want to get too snotty so just said okay I would speak to the mum either tonight or tomorrow morning but it WOULD have to be then as I obviously need to know what’s going on and get everything sorted.

She said fine.

I still feel a bit on edge as obviously money and passports still haven’t been exchanged but do feel better now I’ve spoken to her. Will just have to hope everything works out. I will be very cross if not I’m not going to lie as I have obviously had numerous confirmation from them that ‘he is fab’ and ‘everything is fine’ so really, they have NO reason whatsoever to not buy him.

horsesatemymoney

Visit site
I share that uneasy feeling- I'd be straight on the phone tonight, wanting to know where I stand. I assume the Mum isn't buying a horse at the auction?! As she still has yours to pay for! Think you're going to have to mither them OP. Hope it works out ok!

Fanatical

Visit site
I am afraid, having the suspicious nature that I have, I would still be driving over there and bringing him home. If they want him, they can come and collect him when the money has been paid.

I'm sure it is unrelated but the fact that the mum is 'at an auction' would also ring alarm bells! Hopefully not selling your horse! Again, prob just my suspicious nature!

deicinmerlyn

Visit site
I am afraid, having the suspicious nature that I have, I would still be driving over there and bringing him home. If they want him, they can come and collect him when the money has been paid.

I'm sure it is unrelated but the fact that the mum is 'at an auction' would also ring alarm bells! Hopefully not selling your horse! Again, prob just my suspicious nature!

Again agree!! ^^

tessybear

Visit site
Having known a horse to be sold on during a trial :eek: I know you know these people, however being suspicious i would be over there with my box and loading said horse back onto it. Ring them first explaining if the sale is going ahead and you need a straight answer.

The whole text saying who is this ? worries my slightyl hence why if it was mine i would be over there by now. Could just be an issue with the phone but doesn;t sound right to me :cool:

Firewell

Visit site
I would call again tonight to speak to the mum.
The problem is they have no incentive to call you. They have the horse AND the money so sadly they don't have that push to get the loose ends tied up.
Therefore you have to chase them and give them the incentive. For instance say you must have the money by the weekend or you will collect him on Saturday.
They just need a nudge, but from what you have said they sound genuine ebough

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
Well- in fairness I didn’t have her no saved in my phone until last night so whenever she contacted me I never knew who she was :eek: I even rang her last weekend by mistake, or should I say my friend did, I was driving, we thought she was someone else lol. So it could just be that she didn’t bother to save mine either.

Re the auction, tbh it never crossed my mind it could be a horse auction. I assumed an antique/house auction or something. TBH I don’t give two hoots what type of auction, I just want my money and to know what is going on :mad:

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would feel anxious too , I would ring tonight and first thing to morrow morning and if you are not completely happy I would pick him up tomorrow night.

starryeyed

Visit site

My thoughts too - however I am also very suspicious! I'd definitely be going down there with the horsebox, even just to meet them & discuss what's going on, so they know that you're serious and mean business. If you feel at all uneasy when you're there or think they aren't being honest with you, you can take him back with you - there is absolutely nothing wrong in doing this. They sound like they're taking the p*** and there was something very odd about that text - did you manage to question it on the phone? Yes they may be busy - but aren't we all! x

Goldenstar

Visit site
the issue with Fanaticals approach is that , if I remember the posts running up to this trial ,this horse needs to be sold and has some management needs that means that these people have an ideal situation for him PP then needs to be careful that she does not lose the sale unnecessarily if this is just a thoughtless and disorganised buyer.
If I would be pissed of as a buyer if OP just turned up and took him that would be the end of that for me , though I fully aggree that she should have rung PP today .
PP What arrangements where made for payment at the beginning of the trail
I definatly would be picking him up tomorrow though if the morning does not sort it out .

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
the issue with Fanaticals approach is that , if I remember the posts running up to this trial ,this horse needs to be sold and has some management needs that means that these people have an ideal situation for him PP then needs to be careful that she does not lose the sale unnecessarily if this is just a thoughtless and disorganised buyer.
If I would be pissed of as a buyer if OP just turned up and took him that would be the end of that for me , though I fully aggree that she should have rung PP today .
PP What arrangements where made for payment at the beginning of the trail
I definatly would be picking him up tomorrow though if the morning does not sort it out .

Yes. Nail.on.head.

Basically, they really would be the perfect home for him if they bought him. They are experienced, knowledgeable, good riders and know all about his arthritis and don’t seem too concerned by it. They also know that he is not great with large vehicles on narrow roads and they don’t need to worry about this as they hack him around their private estate and about 20 miles of forestry commission tracks. So, in short, they are perfect and he is also perfect for them as he is safe, reliable and fun.

I think they know all of the above and so know they have me over a barrel slightly. So yes, I don’t want to go in all guns blazing and risk him a good home if it is just them being a bit thoughtless and disorganised.

I drew up a ‘trial agreement’ that both of us signed on the evening I dropped him off. In it it stated that on the 3rd June 2013 XXXX would give XXXX (me) £££ for the horse.

Unfortunately no deposit was paid as I did ont ask for one.

Going and getting him would be difficult as I am without transport at the moment and so would have to hire or pay a friend to go and get him which is more expense incurred by me. HOWEVER, on the agreement it did state that if they didn’t want the horse, he is to be returned at THEIR expense.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Give her a buzz tonight PP and see what they say. If they don't want the horse, you can arrange collection for later this week.

mandwhy

Visit site
I should think it will be resolved when you actually get to speak to the mother.

How old is the daughter? I wouldn't bother dealing with her unless you can't get hold of the mother, as it seems daughter is not the one with the cash.

I wouldn't panic too much although I am not as suspicious as some people I suppose, I expect they are just dragging their heels and being disorganised, they probably think they can because they are the ideal home for him. Don't do anything rash, just speak to the mother asap!

slumdog

Visit site
It's people like this who ruin it for genuine buyers :(

I had my project pony on trial for two weeks, with her being a project I didn't want her to suddenly turn out to be psychotic instead of 'quirky'
I initiated text messages to let her owners know how she was, I also messaged her and added photos on Facebook so she could see her. Then on the 14th day I text her in the morning saying I'd love her and can I take her the money. As it turned out she was busy until the Saturday but wasn't bothered as I'd kept her so involved.

I hope you get it sorted op.

Goldenstar

Visit site
PP move heaven and earth to speak to the mum , then as you don't have transport I think if I where you I would drive to see him to morrow, while I would not be unnecessarily antagonising the buyers I would not be letting. This run on either good luck I really hope this works out .

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
To be fair, I am not at all worried about them doing a runner with him or anything silly like that. I am just worried that they are going to turn around and either say ‘Well, we’ll have him but not paying the price for him’ He is going for an extremely nominal sum so I would actually laugh if this was the case!!! Or ‘No, sorry, am concerned about X,Y & Z and am not taking him’ If that’s the case then I will be absolutely furious as not once over the 2 weeks has there been any hint of problems and also, if that’s the case then they would have known that at the weekend, or today, or last week so to just not tell me would be really out of order.

I am really hoping that it is none of the above and that they are simply just a bit busy/disorganised as they did/do seem like lovely people and I would be absolutely gutted if this has all been for nothing. My poor boy, uprooted (again) for nothing :(