Feeling like a murderer now

Boxers

Visit site
:(

Have just made the arrangement for my horse to be pts on Friday afternoon, and realised after the call that Friday is his birthday. What a c**p week this will be.

Put the phone down from making the call and just cried buckets. It is so unfair, Jay is only 5 and we had so many dreams and hopes for him. All dashed now.

BlackRider

Visit site
I've been there recently, you are offering a kindness by releasing your horse from suffering.

Treasure the time you have left with him, it will be very special x

((HUGS))

ShadowHunter

Visit site
Draw some comfort in the fact that your ending his suffering. Make the most of this week and pamper him on friday morning. Sometimes things like this happen, just remember that your doing the best thing in a bad situation.

Hugs to you and horsey, thinking of you on Friday :(

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
Boxers I'm sorry that you are losing your horse when he's so young. That really is crap, it's bad enough when they are older.

The guilt is absolutely normal, though. Even when you know you are doing the right thing, you still feel that way.

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
I know how you feel about the guilt, as I did too.
But know that you are doing the right and kindest thing, try and enjoy your time together this week and treasure your memories to help you through the tough times.

My heart goes out to you. xx :(

Em123

Visit site
I recently had to make the decision to have my two old boys put down. Heart broken. I know how you feel but please take comfort in the fact that you are doing the right thing.
Pm me if you need to talk or anything

Hugs x

Pigeon

Visit site
I'm so sorry to hear this :( You're doing the kindest thing! Nothing I can say will make it any easier, but he won't know it's happened, mine went out with his ears still pricked and his mouth full of carrots.

turkana

Visit site
As hard as it is, you are not a horse murderer (I know how you feel, I've felt like a evil horse killer as well)

But as fellow horse lovers people on here will know what you're going through & be here to hand out much needed sympathy if necessary.

Many of us have had to make unpleasant but necessay decisions, it's horrible but part of loving them.

Rebels

Visit site
It was awful after making the arrangements for my 3yr old, she was a baby, we had so many plans and a few daft dreams.

Boxers

Visit site
Thanks so much everyone.

Why did he have to be so cute today. I had to creosote some posts in his field and he followed me round, nibbling my back and huffing in my ear. Nearly broke my heart.

I don't know how I will get thro til Friday. I will be at work each day so that will take my mind off I hope.

FairyLights

Visit site
As hard as it is, you are not a horse murderer (I know how you feel, I've felt like a evil horse killer as well)

But as fellow horse lovers people on here will know what you're going through & be here to hand out much needed sympathy if necessary.

Many of us have had to make unpleasant but necessay decisions, it's horrible but part of loving them.
exactly. ((((HUGS)))))) OP

monkeybum13

Visit site
I really feel for you and will be thinking of you on Friday.

I had my lovely 8yo put to sleep last Tuesday, it is such a horrible thing to do but at least they will never be in pain again. Stay strong *hugs*

mrsh2010

Visit site
I feel the pain you are going through, making that call is the hardest thing I ever had to do. My thoughts are with you and I send you massive cyber hugs.

No words can be said to make it any easier, just remember you are not alone.

Twinkley Lights

Visit site
So very sorry for you Boxers it is never right, even last year when I could see my 30 something year old lad had had enough I still questioned the decision and tortured myself even to this day.:(:( It is the last act of love and kindness. For me it was 1.30am in the stables he was sinking fast and the well meaning young vet was nagging and my husband was a rock. I asked for a minute went to the garden and shouted at myself saying "man up you snivelling wreck he is suffering now go and be his real owner and mother" After that I went to tell the vet yes but I just needed to remind myself that it wasn't about me.

Last edited:

Mince Pie

Visit site
My friend had to make "the" decision for 'my' 6 year old in Jan :( It's just so bloody unfair sometimes! My thoughts will be with you on Friday, xx

debsflo

Visit site
So sad for you both as i know what plans you had. It has made me cry too as i can only imagine how you are feeling. What i do know is that you will be doing what is best for him even if it doesnt feel like it now. I can also say that in my experience it was very peaceful and not as traumatic as i thought. If you can take loads of photos, so you have memories. It sounds a bit macabre but we took loads the day before and even though it was sad they helped after and i made Beth a memory book. Will be thinking of you on Friday.

Oberon

Visit site
I made the call last March. I still feel like a murderer now and am constantly questioning myself.
I broke down today and had to excuse myself for 10 minutes to have a crying fit in the toilets.

You are not alone, OP and you have us all standing with you when the time comes.

Shantara

Visit site
I'm so sorry :( I still feel like a murderer because of my cat. I remember the sickening feeling as we pulled into the vets...I felt like I was leading her to the noose.

It will get easier *hugs* as others have said, we're with you <3

starryeyed

Visit site
I'm so sorry to hear this, how incredibly sad :( It's the hardest and most horrible decision in the world. Will be thinking of you this week and on Friday, sending massive hugs your way xxx