Feeling Really Despondent - please help cheer me up!

3OldPonies

Visit site
So, about three weeks ago one of the ponies had a hooley in the paddock and sustained a mild laminitis in response to the battering from the hard ground. Since then it has been a constant battle to keep him in off the grass (I only have a very basic, leaky shelter and no hard standing or stables). For the past week we have been making really good progress, and I'd been able to turn him out at night on a bareish patch and all was going well (no raised pulses, reduced medication (1 bute a day) and sound in walk). Last night though, the bare patch was all mud, and so I moved him to a fresh bit. What a mistake to make, this morning we are back at square one. The electric fence was all smashed down and he'd got into a patch of long grass and obviously enjoyed himself. to the extent that he's as bad as before. So he's back in again, frog supports back on and bute. I'm just feeling so down, because a) he's sore again and b) I don't have a lot of money right now and he's not insured for vets fees owing to his age so I feel really stuck, please could you send me some nice kind vibes - I know we'll get there eventually, its just so, so hard especially as we're on our own and not part of a yard.

If you waded through my tale of woe - thank you.

Winters100

Visit site
So sorry, sounds really difficult, and it is horrid when we see our animals in pain. Would a grazing muzzle help? If money is tight maybe you can pick one up second hand or borrow one?

Wishing you luck in getting him right.

FireCracker238

Visit site
So sorry, sounds really difficult, and it is horrid when we see our animals in pain. Would a grazing muzzle help? If money is tight maybe you can pick one up second hand or borrow one?

Wishing you luck in getting him right.

If you think a muzzle would help I've a pony sized one that is no longer in use, happy to send it on

Tarragon

Visit site
So sorry to hear that! When you have ponies that live to eat grass (like mine do too), it is hard enough to be a responsible owner and restrict their grazing in the first place, but must be even worse to see them in pain. I cannot help but I feel your pain and hope it resolves itself soon. Is there anyone you know with better facilities who might take him on for a few days to just get past this hump?

Last edited:

Melandmary

Visit site
Do you know anyone locally that might have a spare stable that they are not using over summer that you could use. I can imagine the worry and it is so difficult when there is no one else around for help and support. If you can't keep him contained then I agree with the others about using a muzzle. There are loads on facebook 2nd hand at the moment. Sending hugs.... And a huge gin!!

millikins

Visit site
You have my sympathy, it must be incredibly hard managing a laminitic in the current weather conditions.

Visit site
And also is the pony EMS checked? Agree maybe find a temporary stable somewhere if he won't stay in set area. Where are you as I may have contacts that can help.

honetpot

Visit site
My mare came back off loan with laminitis, and It's hard to see them stuck in a stable counting every blade of hay. Try not to worry about the mud, I make a straw mound, so they can stand on a dry patch, and if you replaced 50% of the hay with straw, I even used to soak the straw, it will reduce the sugars even more.

SOS

Visit site
Can you bed down the field shelter and use is as a stable? Three weeks is quite a long time to still be sore and if he’s taken a step backwards I think you need to treat it quite aggressively so I personally would remove turnout. I think I would be getting the vet out for some X-rays too especially as he’s an older boy. I wish you both the best.

Melandmary

Visit site
The above suggestion is a good one, a friend of mine did that. When my horse was first stabled with lami the vet gave me 10 days of sedaline to keep her quiet which really helped and it was not expensive. I have a housing myself so I know what it's like but make your taped off area like Fort knox. Most people on this forum will have felt exactly how you do now at some point with their horses. They are such a worry I don't know why we have them but you are doing your best and that is all anyone can do. I see you are in Berkshire? Maybe if you need extra fence posts, tape etc or use of a stable someone will be happy to help. Good luck x

3OldPonies

Visit site
Thank you so much everyone, you are all so kind.

I've got him well penned in to his shelter now - so no grass at all. Today he is much better and I'm feeling much more hopeful that we are going in the right direction once again. Yesterday was a pretty low day all round, not just because of his escapology life in general is pretty rubbish at the moment, and your lovely helpful comments combined with his dramatic improvement towards recovery is making today a much better place to be.

When he is ready to come out and about, Fort Knox is going to look like an open community compared to what I have planned!