Feeling seriously fed up with this weathernow!

Finlib

Visit site
Feeling seriously fed up finding it hard work coping with 2 storms wind and constant rain for over 2 weeks now.
Having to soak hay as one had a bit of a cough ( no temp.or nasal discharve) but as they all are out together soaking for all 3 Cough now gone.
No mud but the horses are spending masses of time in the pole barn so getting through bedding (shavings) big time!!!Plus mucking out huge barrow loads morning and evening as although the fields are open with foggage they choose to stay in the barn in the dry scoffing hay!!
Haven't had the energy to do anything with the horses as it's so wet and miserable and it takes me an hour and and a half morning and an hour evening just to get the jobs done.
Seriously wondering why I keep horses!!! !!this winter.
Hope spring comes soon I love them dearly but they are 21 20 and 15 and been with me years one I bred so they will be with me forever.Can't see me replacing any when they do go!!
Fortunately they are at home but this winter has been brutal.
Roll on spring I'm sure I'll feel feel better then.

doodle

Visit site
Feel the same. People grumpy, horses fed up. Mud everywhere. Our fields are usually really good but even they are boggy. Horses in more than not having in previous years had 3 days in in total. Robins legs swell if in too long. Up until 3 weeks ago I was pleased with how much ridden work he was getting. Now down to practically nothing. So far he is being really good but I am expecting hi jinx.

vmac66

Visit site
Fed up too. Have been waiting for the lighter evenings , light enough to ride till about 5.30. Thought great they're here, then it started to rain. Field is waterlogged too. Keep thinking never mind, only 6 weeks till the clocks go forward xx

scats

Visit site
I feel your pain. It’s forecast to be gales and heavy rain for the rest of this week and weekend. Fields are soaking, girls haven’t worked for weeks and Millie is an absolute grump when she’s not working regularly. The pair of them have also decided they hate each other and keep trying to go bum to bum. Think we’ve all had enough!
So fed up at the moment.

merlinsquest

Visit site
My paddock was holding up quite well until someone decided it would be a marvellous idea to dig a trench under the fence & allow a massive torrent of water to pour into it from the track above. There is a hard road separating my paddock from the one next door which acts like a dam, so the water can’t drain away. Angry didn’t even cover it, I managed to let some of the water out but up until yesterday evening half of it is now completely water logged, it looks a bit better today, but more rain tomorrow.

Spotherisk

Visit site
Our first winter in our new property and the ground is completely different, no more free draining granite, now we have shillet and clay... three horses living out, and my so called riding horse has been written off due to previous laminitis and now EMS. Went lame on Friday and I thought this was it, farrier has confirmed today it’s an abscess, so very thankful. So three really fed up horses covered in mud, no stables/barn as yet so no chance for them to lie down in the dry. Like everyone else I’m just hanging on for summer/dry weather.

PurBee

Visit site
Ditto....it’s brutal, gotta hang on 4 weeks and we’ll be through the other side!
Ive so much work on outside, sliding about in mud, covered neck to foot in waterproofs and boots, really need some warmth and sunshine.

This is why im emigrating. I dont want to envision decades ahead going through 6 months of every year like this. Quality of life is important, and mud hampers that for us outside folk!

SEL

Visit site
Most of the fields were under water with Dennis and are still saturated. We're better off than lots though.

What if this rain keeps going all summer ??????

Reactions: TPO

TPO

Visit site
It wont stop raining ?

It rained most of the "summer" here and hasnt stopped since. Theres a 70yr old farmer across from mums and hes been there all his life; he said hes never seen weather like it. There has been so much rain that the field drainage has blocked and because the council dont clear their ditches everything has backed up into the surrounding fields.

Everything is underwater and mud is mid cannon bone.

It's so depressing and I'm just done with it ?

I was hoping to be back on board in April (no arena) but cant see it deying up enough until May at the earliest. I honestly give up

Finlib

Visit site
Waterproofs are so heavy! My wellies have sprung a leak wellies used to last years!. I feel really restricted and its not that cold so steaming up on the inside as well.
.Can't face soaking wet tack on top of everything else so virtually turned away the horses until spring
. Got tooth problems as well (loose cap causing problems) so dental appointment in a couple of weeks the cap was a horse related accident years ago.!
Keeping on top of the water spent yesterday morning rodding drains to keep them clear and clearing and 're attaching some guttering the wind had taken down.
Maybe I'm getting old but never felt this crushed by winter before!

Last edited:

JFTDWS

Visit site
Remember that year - was it 2012? - where it just kept on raining and raining until most of the way through summer? I think it finally stopped in September, ready for winter to kick off in October. Events cancelled everywhere. Endless mud.

Ever since then, I've been pretty cheerful about the weather. Can't get worse than that, or if it does, I'm building me an ark.

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
I am just about coping with weather horse and dog wise but the 11 Montessori munchkins that I have in my class in the afternoons (ages 4 & 5 ) are going completely stir crazy and if the endless rain keeps on for much longer my head is going to seriously explode ?

PurBee

Visit site
Yep, ‘twas 2012...vividly recall spending everyday putting out mum and new foal at foot, bringing in, 2hrs later put out, then in....foal backing into bushes, hating getting wet....still hates it age 8!

Leo Walker

Visit site
Its going to carry on for another 10 days. I'd just managed to get the pony going again and now the school is a lake. Her field has had it now as well having held up really well until this weekend. Williams still out thank god, but Bobbies been in the last 2 days and its a nightmare exercising them in a school under a foot of water!

This was the field 2 days ago and we've had more rain since then :mad:

86603446_10157257112668667_1706555871531630592_n.jpg

HashRouge

Visit site
I don't remember summer 2012 being bad at all? That was the Olympics year and I remember the weather being really good for the events I saw. Maybe I'm looking back with rose tinted specs?!

But yes I am another who is utterly fed up this year. I am just thanking heaven that I have stables this year for the first time in four years, don't know what I would have done otherwise! My field was holding up pretty well until Ciara, but that plus Dennis has left it saturated. It could be a lot worse and we still have a good amount of grass, but it's just so wet! So I'm making the most of said stables and they are coming in for a few hours every day so their legs can dry off.

pistolpete

Visit site
Sick to death of it. My fields are skating rinks. Chalk and surface water. Fallen over three times since Saturday! Mud in my hair! Soooo fed up with it!

Suechoccy

Visit site
I'm usually a MAWIL for my cycle commute each day and keep a pair of old wellies in a carrier bag just inside field gate for doing horses on way to and from work, but this weather has me beat. Mud in the shoe cleats and they won't clip into the pedals, mud all over hands as I pull shoes off to get wellies on, slipping and sliding in mud while balancing in the mud (and in the dark on the way home at night). So I've reached a new level ... MAWILAW (Middle Aged Woman in Lycra And Wellies) for the 10 mile cycle ride each way, as I really utterly can't be arsed to attempt changing my footwear in the mud twice a day. I get some funny looks from passing cyclists now and everyone gives me a wide berth, probably thinking "ooh look it's that strange woman in lycra who wears wellies rather than cycling shoes with her drop handlebars."

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
I hate being a boil in the bag wading through mud. I am struggling to get my mare's foot right due to Ciara.

Hardly ridden since mid Jan. Considering dropping my numbers if this weather continues year on year.

Equi

Visit site
Its not been that horrendous in NI thankfully just one or two days bad wind/rain..but its been very wet and no drying at all. We are lucky to have turnout all through winter when weather permits (and by that i mean as long as the ground is not a total swamp) many many places don't have that near me. Its either in 24/7 or use the paddocks as you will but if its ruined/mud then you have no summer turnout or you have to deal with the paddock being JUST mud. Its a balance. Spud did have to stay in for a week basically, and he doesn't mind tbh but my fear was his lymphangitis flaring up or his "whatever is going on" fetlock being effected. Thankfully neither gave any bother. I had my littles out most of the time and in on the really bad days when they demanded to be brought in lol

TheMule

Visit site
I don't remember summer 2012 being bad at all? That was the Olympics year and I remember the weather being really good for the events I saw. Maybe I'm looking back with rose tinted specs?!

It was really wet in 2012- I remember because it was the year I re-roofed the house and it literally did not stop raining as soon as the bloody roof came off!

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I have never known it so bad for such a prolonged length of time and over so much of the country too. We did have greening fields but no longer, think the grass is drowning. Thankfully we started winter with a lot of foggage. Thank goodness we didn't take hay off our big field. The fogage has protected it to a certain extent but now it is beginning to look bare which I haven't seen for several years. Feel sorry for our horses and sheep, wish I had huge barns to bring them in to. Storm Dennis blew straight into the barn we use for lambing so that is soaking wet too. I had intended to increase my sheep numbers but now will be cutting back. Can't cope with such bad conditions.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I don't remember 2012 being bad, worked at the Olympics and it was steamy. Having said that, I was injured early part of 2012 so was not riding at home so much, then had leave blanket cancelled right through from spring to late summer, so I was not competing anyway.

I feel smug this morning, it was not so windy at 7am so I was quick up and out on her before 7.30. Hate doing endless circles so me managed to sneak in a hack. Dressage lesson yesterday was indoors, pole work clinic tomorrow was indoors, turn-out is on our arena, horse has waterproof rugs with optional hoods; we are pretty much waterproof on a day to day basis.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
My horses were in for 11 days with an hour or so turn out when possible on cinder path with a bit of grass to nibble. They had 6 hours out yesterday in a swamp and looking at the weather will be in again for next 2 days due to wind and rain. Farmer has removed sheep from waterlogged fields and so much land is under water. The horses are kicking hell out of the stable walls as their neighbours are irritating them and Im avoiding human interactions as people are frustrated and moaning and I don’t want any fallouts. I might organise another coffee and cake get together at the weekend just to sweeten and cement relationships so we can get through the next few weeks.
Hang on in there everyone....

southerncomfort

Visit site
If this is going to be the new normal then I'm done. No more horses: it's not fair to them, or to me, to try and keep large livestock in this sort of environment.

This is how I feel too.

Every winter is hard but this has been relentless. Usually at this point you get the odd nice day that feels spring like, but this year winter just won't loosen its grip.

I don't mind rain and I don't mind the wind, but this year has been both together. Every single day!

Like Cortez says, if this is how it's going to be every winter now then I'm out.

LaurenBay

Visit site
I feel your pain. My share Horse hasn't been out in the field since Nov (had an injury and was on 4 weeks boxrest and then yard shut the fields in Dec) he is actually coping fine with it, but I hate seeing them stuck in.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I remember winter 2011/2012.

I remember vividly standing in the field on new years eve with the standing water nearly to the top of my wellies.

Does anyone remember ladt February when we had around 4 or 5 days that were just glorious? Really unseasonably warm and settled.

It did deteriorate again but at least we had that glimpse of spring to keep us going.

bubsqueaks

Visit site
Yep its been brutal - we are waiting to restart our Connie but cant due to state of fields - bah!
Looking on the positive side! at least we're heading towards those longer evenings & dry weather must be round that corner somewhere!!
Got a feeling the grass is going to be lush so desperately trying to reduce their calories which is making their grumpiness even more grumpy!!!