Feeling torn about taking on a new horse

S.AAnderson

Visit site
I have been offered a horse (for free) by his owner who can sadly no longer keep him due to finances. The horse is currently out of work (due to lack of time and not injury), and has been left in a herd type paddock for several months now.

Whilst the younger me would have jumped at this chance, I just don't think I have the time now due to 2 young children (2 and 4yrs) & FT work.

My husband said I should hold off another couple of years & then buy my own, but this gelding is really pulling at my heart-strings as I know he doesn't have too many options left :( arrrgh!!

Logically it makes no sense paying to keep a horse in a paddock until I am finally able to bring him back into work, but thats what I am seriously contemplating! Am I mad??! We are based in NSW, Australia so have several options for year round (cheap) turnout, but it still seems like a huge waste of money!!

Has anyone else kept a horse 'going' like this?

Patterdale

Visit site
In your position (or mine!) I would not do this. Mega tempting when it’s free, BUT - the purchase price is one of the smallest parts of having a horse.
This horse will cost just as much to keep as any other, and is a totally unknown quantity. It will take time and money to bring back into work, and what if you don’t like it after that?
What if the owner isn’t being truthful about why it was turned away?

I would think VERY hard.

Winters100

Visit site
It must be so difficult to say no, knowing that the horse has limited options. However I think you could come to regret taking on a horse with such a busy life already. Horses always take time - even if they are not in work. Every day I wonder what I have actually done in the hours I have been in the yard, and it never sounds like much but takes such a lot of time. Plus there is a big risk that when you bring him back into work he won't be suitable, and then he will be your problem. I would say better to wait, and when the time is right buy something that is in work and can be tried properly. As Patterdale says the purchase price is insignificant when you look at the cost of keeping a horse. Also remember that with 2 small children you can't afford injuries, and sadly as we get older we no longer 'bounce'. Whatever you decide good luck!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Plus there is a big risk that when you bring him back into work he won't be suitable, and then he will be your problem.
^^ this is important.
I have a herd of freebies and a pity purchase from a bin end sale... they've all been a bit tricky and very time consuming to bring back to work and none have exactly been what I want, it's just that I cant afford what I want! I have no commitments other than work so can spend as long as it takes and I accept that I'm likely to be stuck with whatever they turn into.
They are my problem now, basically.

I would not encourage you to take on a horse just because you feel sorry for it when it wont fit into your life now and there's no guarantee that it will do later.
You can't save them all.

Northern

Visit site
I would hold off, especially in these conditions. Paddock kept horses can get expensive quite quickly, especially if paddocked with others.

There aren't a lot of people who are willing to take on freebies at the moment, unfortunately. Especially if he is a common breed such as TB/SB. If he is something slightly more unusual, it might be worth chucking him on FB to see if there are any takers. Feel free to PM me details, I can see if any of my friends are looking for something.

BOWS28

Visit site
I'd do it, If I could comfortably afford to keep him anyway.

Spend the next couple of years (if needed) getting to know him and enjoying him as a companion and just take things slowly.

I am late twenties with minimal responsibilities though so our circumstances are very different.

I thought i was the only one that would take him lol. My old girl was gifted to me. No gift on this earth will ever top that!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I thought i was the only one that would take him lol. My old girl was gifted to me. No gift on this earth will ever top that!
my bestest horse now was given to me, like I said above I have no issue with taking on a freebie and they can work out brilliantly. But this horse is a complete unknown and the OP has acknowledged that she lacks time with a young family and full time work.
It may be that she can throw some tack on in a couple of years and ride off into the sunset, or it might need a complete restart.

Mine is great now, but the first year was really challenging and made me wonder what on earth I was doing... the latest one is taking quite a bit of work to turn him around too. They can work out well, and they can be very demanding. To me it sounds like the OP's husband is being more realistic but also quite supportive suggesting she buys one when time is less of an issue.

twiggy2

Visit site
So if you take him on and he gets an injury require lots of money and rehab, that you problem too.
I wouldn't the him on, by the tie your ready to do anything with him your kids may want to ride and you at find yourself immersed in their horsey fix.

Northern

Visit site

With all due respect, this needs to be a head decision for the OP, not a heart decision. The entire country is in drought and keeping horses is not cheap at the moment, she has family and commitments as well. No one is saying it won't be a great horse, but it just sounds like a situation to avoid at the moment.

BOWS28

Visit site
With all due respect, this needs to be a head decision for the OP, not a heart decision. The entire country is in drought and keeping horses is not cheap at the moment, she has family and commitments as well. No one is saying it won't be a great horse, but it just sounds like a situation to avoid at the moment.

To be fair i missed the part where she mentioned being based in Australia.

Trouper

Visit site
You don't say how much you like this horse. Is he the sort you would go out looking for if you were buying? If so, it might be worth the effort. However, the fact that you have doubts says a lot in itself. "If in doubt - don't" is a phrase which has served me well in the past when equine temptation comes calling. I think most practicalities can be overcome if your heart is totally invested but problems can become overwhelming if you have doubts to start with.

SEL

Visit site
I've got 2 freebies - love them to bits but neither is rideable (one completely retired) and they don't cost any less to keep for being free!!!!

Fransurrey

Visit site
If he's the kind of horse you would have bought and you're happy to accept the risk he's not suitable/the finances of a horse (is this your first horse ownership?), then go ahead and put him out to grass (but NOT in a large herd). Even out at grass though, he'll need some kind of input and handling, or he'll go feral. If he's not the kind of horse you'd be looking for and your finances don't add up with money to spare, then don't. Maybe make some enquiries with horsey friends as to the realistic costs. Other option is to share him with someone - is that a done thing in Oz? My biggest concern to be honest would be your time. In two years you're still going to have young kids. Do you have help?

Leandy

Visit site
No don't do it. For multiple reasons. Really, the purchase price is not the real cost in having a horse and this is (I presume) a completely unknown quantity and you don't even have time for a horse at the moment. Save your money for the right horse at the right time. I'm not sure you're even doing the horse a favour if you don't know what you are going to do with it, you could well turn into the next home he has to who needs to get rid of him quickly........ Pity alone is not a good reason to take on a horse. How will you acquire the horse you want at the time that you want it if you take on this horse now and he doesn't turn into it (which I would bet he won't....).

paddy555

Visit site
I was given a free horse, it cost me my confidence. Never ever again.

on the other side of it I was given a free horse. He was my absolute soul mate and there could never be another like him.

If the horse was everything I wanted now, ie sound, able to do whatever riding I wanted, nice temperament etc and I could afford it, and in Aus I could feed it, then I would go for it. Not all free horses are rubbish. Some are just in that position through no fault of their own.

Presumably you have some time to be able to see the horse, take the kids to see it etc. Perhaps have a few small rides.
If in a couple of years you could have a horse would you feel upset at turning this one down (ie is he a good horse) and then having to take the risk of finding a suitable horse?

S.AAnderson

Visit site
Thank you everyone for the replies. I am a real sucker for accumulating unwanted animals, but a horse is in its own league in terms of cost/time commitment!!

I have made the decision not to take him on, it's not the right time and like others have mentioned there are a lot of unknown variables. Other than what the owner has told me I have no idea what he is like ridden, so may well end over-horsing myself.

Feeling pretty awful about saying 'no' but it's the sensible decision.

Thanks everyone