FEI ban filming at competitions

teapot

Visit site
Being reported on https://www.tidningenridsport.se/fei-forbjuder-filmande-pa-tavling/

Google translate of the first two paras is: In its updated guidelines on what can be published on social media, websites and other platforms, the International Equestrian Federation FEI now chooses to completely close the door to outsiders - all filming from competition tracks, front riding and other surfaces at major FEI competitions, which is done with the aim of published, banned.

By non-rights holders is meant riders, grooms, horse owners, representatives from the national equestrian sports associations and other official persons, as well as accredited media. The FEI owns all rights to all filmed material from what they call the "Field of Play", which means the competition course, the front riding and other areas of the competition venue.

Stop the world, I want to get off is this is true :(

nutjob

Visit site
So they want to allow riders to be able to abuse horses without the inconvenience of other people filming them. Good bye putting horse welfare first or in fact anywhere at all, hello rollkur, blue tongues and pain face 😭😭😭. If nobody films it, then it didn't happen.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Doesn’t say that Joe bloggs can’t film does it. So general public can still film but not share on media platforms or could we?

A bit of criticism from the sidelines and instead of addressing the problem with the judging they decide it can’t be filmed any more so it can all stay the same … pitiful!!!!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
The big abuses are going on day to day in training and management, not at show grounds. The tests will still be viewable but only on a platform that keeps the revenues with the FEI and that's fair enough. The tests will still be able to be viewed and criticised. Stills will still be able to be taken of rollkür in the warm up, etc I also don't feel it's unreasonable for competitors to be able to warm up and exercise without being filmed by all and sundry.

I don't think the action is unreasonable but the timing and presentation is very badly judged.

humblepie

Visit site
The big abuses are going on day to day in training and management, not at show grounds. The tests will still be viewable but only on a platform that keeps the revenues with the FEI and that's fair enough. The tests will still be able to be viewed and criticised. Stills will still be able to be taken of rollkür in the warm up, etc I also don't feel it's unreasonable for competitors to be able to warm up and exercise without being filmed by all and sundry.

I don't think the action is unreasonable but the timing and presentation is very badly judged.
Revenue from media rights is huge in sports but in practice it doesn't stop people putting photos on their social media of, say, Lewis Hamilton walking into the pits at Silverstone, or Hewick in the parade ring at Cheltenham. The terms and conditions of entry when you buy a ticket often restrict filming.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site

I wouldn't say that big absuses are not going on at show grounds. Less so than at home? Absolutely. Not going on at all? I don't think so, personally.

teapot

Visit site
It does say only FEI named events wonder what % that accounts for

That’s a lot of the big tour dressage, show jumping and eventing events though. Ie the places with more spectators/under public view.

Clearly less bothered about what Joe Blogs does at Little Snottington 1* and it appearing on social media than how [insert pro of choice] rides their horse in a warm up…

ycbm

Visit site
When every view on YouTube can earn them money, I really believe this is about revenues not about hiding abuse.

teapot

Visit site
When every view on YouTube can earn them money, I really believe this is about revenues not about hiding abuse.

Then why ban videos of warm ups, something that’s never ever live streamed.

Also the FEI tend to only put stuff on YouTube that they know probably won’t ‘sell’ in terms of a ClipmyHorse subscription. It’s usually the more niche stuff on that particular platform, where they are unlikely to be getting the viewing figures to make decent revenue.

Last edited:

ycbm

Visit site
Then why ban videos of warm ups, something that’s never ever live streamed.

Also the FEI tend to only put stuff on YouTube that they know probably won’t ‘sell’ in terms of a ClipmyHorse subscription. It’s usually the more niche stuff on that particular platform, where they are unlikely to be getting the viewing figures to make decent revenue.

Well as I said earlier, I don't believe that people warming up at competitions should be subject to all and sundry videoing them.

They can still take stills and if "abuse" isn't lasting long enough to get still shots then it's not worth recording either.

So that makes sense to me as well.

Squeak

Visit site
Well as I said earlier, I don't believe that people warming up at competitions should be subject to all and sundry videoing them.

They can still take stills and if "abuse" isn't lasting long enough to get still shots then it's not worth recording either.

So that makes sense to me as well.

I don't really follow why you think that people shouldn't be recorded warming up? Surely any thing competitors/ riders do should stand up to public scrutiny and any time you're out competing albeit in the ring or warming up you're in public?

ycbm

Visit site
I don't really follow why you think that people shouldn't be recorded warming up? Surely any thing competitors/ riders do should stand up to public scrutiny and any time you're out competing albeit in the ring or warming up you're in public?

They are people. And most of them are just decent people trying to get on with what they need to do before a competition. I don't see why they should be subject to having their every moment videoed by a bunch of complete strangers of varying levels of understanding. If someone falls off in the collecting ring or splits their breeches, should Joe Average have the right to splat their embarassment all over social media? They are there to be judged in the ring, their warm up is not part of the public display. It's a privilege to be able to watch the good ones, not a right.

The right way to police warm ups is for stewards to enforce the rules, imo. Stills can achieve this. I took this at a national BD event last year. The stewarding was at fault (as in non existant) here, not my ability to take a video, which I had but did not use.

Screenshot_20231123_073217_Photos.jpg

Last edited:

Backtoblack

Visit site
So no-one can film or upload to social media horses breaking down or collapsing in f e i endurance rides? Or rollkur abuse? This isn't helping welfare it looks like horse sport has something to hide. Hunting is banned, it's starting to look like horse sport will be going the same way, followed by horse riding and driving,and sooner than we all think. Social licence.

Goldenstar

Visit site
So no-one can film or upload to social media horses breaking down or collapsing in f e i endurance rides? Or rollkur abuse? This isn't helping welfare it looks like horse sport has something to hide. Hunting is banned, it's starting to look like horse sport will be going the same way, followed by horse riding and driving,and sooner than we all think. Social licence.
No they did say that did they they said anyone lying with the intent of using it so they want stop Dressage Hub and people like at .
I am not sure they can stop that under Uk law .
It will be interesting how this pans out .

reynold

Visit site

catkin

Visit site
I thought shows and the like were public events, in which case how can they really stop a horse owner taking snaps of their own horse? Or fans taking pics of their favourites?

Hmmmm.?. Know what comes immediately to my suspicious mind......

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I thought shows and the like were public events, in which case how can they really stop a horse owner taking snaps of their own horse? Or fans taking pics of their favourites?

Some public events do ban photos being taken. So I’d imagine it’s perfectly legal to state that venues will not permit it.

ycbm

Visit site

They aren't trying to. They are banning videoing and uploading those videos.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
My adaptation of the Swedish:
all filming ... done with the aim of publishing is banned.
In HHO:
it is also forbidden to film and sell footage or to “otherwise commercially exploit footage”.

“At these events, the rights to film and broadcast moving images are sold to broadcasters, so they have exclusive rights to the footage and to televise the competitions in their respective territories around the world. Therefore, the FEI needs to restrict access to field of play footage to ‘rights holding broadcasters’ (RHB) only; this is to ensure compliance with the FEI’s media rights contracts with those RHBs.

“This is standard practice across sports media.”

This is no different to what happens when I try to listen to BBC Radio Sheffield during certain times of the year (commonwealth games, football world cup) and when live commentary on football matches in broadcast: I hear a message telling me that "because of a technical problem or because of licensing restrictions, this programme is unavailable". It's because the event has licensed exclusive broadcast rights to particular entities for particular territories and those who have paid for exclusive broadcast rights want to get all the value that they can.

teapot

Visit site
They aren't trying to. They are banning videoing and uploading those videos.

It means an owner at certain events can’t take a video of their horse doing its first x, and putting it on their own social media though. Or a groom videoing a test for a rider, which now cannot be posted on their own account.

It’s madness, and most likely incredibly hard to police. How do you tell a bunch of kids they can’t video Charlotte DJ warming up at a World Cup comp? Take their phones away? Kick then out? File a lawsuit against them?

Don’t get me wrong I absolutely understand it from a rights point of view if someone started live streaming on their Facebook page from an event. That’s no different to any other sport that’s formally or professionally covered. However BBC or AELTC don’t come after you if you’re taking a video of your favourite player at Wimbledon…

Last edited: