FEI ban filming at competitions

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
On the table it says owners and entourage so the kids are maybe safe?

Attachments

• 7CEF963A-6511-41D8-96DF-D7A6CE5E4037.jpeg
    7CEF963A-6511-41D8-96DF-D7A6CE5E4037.jpeg
    124.4 KB · Views: 19

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
You can't video a relative acting professionally in a play, any child playing group/team sport, your offspring on a professional fashion catwalk, .....

Accepted that the timing and method of communication was poor, but this really does strike me as a storm in a teacup.

The way to root out the bad practice at the top is to campaign to change the scoring that rewards poor training.

In the meantime I suggest everyone so outraged at the impact this will have on horse welfare (none) starts to take and post video of everyone and every horse at their own livery yards, where there is bad practice right across the country.

teapot

Visit site
On the table it says owners and entourage so the kids are maybe safe?

Not for field of play though! Wonder if warm ups are on the next page of that.

The point is @ycbm is that by prohibiting videos, it’s stopping the very vocal sites and FB pages from calling out welfare issues. None of those are interested in live-streaming, instead just pointing out the state of the relevant sport, and now they can’t. I also think videos are far better than photo stills - photos are a second in time, 5min warm up videos are not.

It also means if you do see something you’re not able to video it and report it through official channels. Stewards can’t, don’t and won’t see everything. Seems a backward step when we’re looking for transparency 🤷🏻‍♀️

Last edited:

ycbm

Visit site
Not for field of play though! Wonder if warm ups are on the next page of that.

The point is @ycbm is that by prohibiting videos, it’s stopping the very vocal sites and FB pages from calling out welfare issues. None of those are interested in live-streaming, instead just pointing out the state of the relevant sport, and now they can’t. I also think videos are far better than photo stills - photos are a second in time, 5min warm up videos are not.

It also means if you do see something you’re not able to video it and report it through official channels. Stewards can’t, don’t and won’t see everything. Seems a backward step when we’re looking for transparency 🤷🏻‍♀️

I know what your point is. I don't see video of warm up as having created anything like the impact of the recent winning tests. It's my point of view that competitors, most of whom are doing nothing wrong, have a right not to have their every move videoed when attending a competition. And that from a welfare point of view, it pales into insignificance compared with what sorting out the scoring of the actual test will achieve. And that the whole fuss is a storm in a media rights teacup.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
So how exactly are they going to stop People? That’s what I don’t get, unless they are taking peoples phones at the doors like
Some concerts and gigs do and securely lock them away they surely cannot expect Joe blogs public not to video and post.

Also who’s going to be able to know if an owner or groom posts under a different acct 👀 what a mine field.

How ridiculous 🤣🤣

moosea

Visit site
I know what your point is. I don't see video of warm up as having created anything like the impact of the recent winning tests. It's my point of view that competitors, most of whom are doing nothing wrong, have a right not to have their every move videoed when attending a competition. And that from a welfare point of view, it pales into insignificance compared with what sorting out the scoring of the actual test will achieve. And that the whole fuss is a storm in a media rights teacup.
If the public are allowed to view the warm-up then I have no idea why someone doing nothing wrong would be bothered by being videoed?
Any rider could fall off or have an embarrassing clothing failure at any time. If you choose to ride in public that's a risk you run.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I thought shows and the like were public events, in which case how can they really stop a horse owner taking snaps of their own horse? Or fans taking pics of their favourites?

Hmmmm.?. Know what comes immediately to my suspicious mind......
Exactly. All itll do is make people be far more discreet about filming... theres plenty of "hidden" cameras out there people can buy to film any abuse.

Spectators will not adhere to it, theyll forget which venues they can / cant take a photo of their favourite (or not) sportsperson. What about kids? Will they get thrown out? Once filmed, you own the footage so you can do what you want with it. Honestly I dont see how they'll police such a ridiculous rule. Of course they are trying to cover up the abuse, we're not stupid.

ycbm

Visit site
If the public are allowed to view the warm-up then I have no idea why someone doing nothing wrong would be bothered by being videoed?

I can think of a lot of things I wouldn't want doing the rounds on social media. Split your jods, fallen off, had a period accident, be cross with myself and wear a face like a boot, makeup malfunction etc etc ......

I could go on, and on. They can be an hour or more warming up, why on earth should they be subject to being videoed by all and sundry for all that time? The public show they are being judged on is the minutes in the ring.

moosea

Visit site
I can think of a lot of things I wouldn't want doing the rounds on social media. Split your jods, fallen off, had a period accident, be cross with myself and wear a face like a boot, makeup malfunction etc etc ......

I could go on, and on. They can be an hour or more warming up, why on earth should they be subject to being videoed by all and sundry for all that time? The public show they are being judged on is the minutes in the ring.
Are the public allowed to watch the warm up?

If yes the there is no difference

teapot

Visit site

A period accident happened to a marathon runner (or maybe a triathlete, can’t remember) and her response was brilliant, after it was plastered all over the internet.

Will try and find the response later but it was along the lines of I’m a woman, shit happens, if someone photographs that, it’s on them, not me.

I’m sure Paula Radcliffe loves the fact she’ll forever be remembered for stopping on the side of the road mid London marathon, complete with live BBC footage

Re whether the warm up is public or private - some events specifically sell warm up tickets (London International being one) - you can’t say that’s a private space. Badminton’s warm ups are literally in a field surrounded by string, again not sure how you can say it’s a private space

Last edited:

ycbm

Visit site
Can we just agree to disagree on this one? I never used the word "private space". Lots of places are not "private space" but all and sundry don't have the expectation of being allowed to take video in them.

I do not agree with everyone having an entitlement to record the warm up to competitions just because they have paid a fee to watch it.

Last edited:

moosea

Visit site
Can we just agree to disagree on this one? I never used the word "private space". Lots of places are not "private space" but all and sundry don't have the expectation of being allowed to take video in them.

I do not agree with everyone having an entitlement to record the warm up to competitions just because they have paid a fee to watch it.
If its not a private place then people are allowed to photograph and video you.
You are allowed to video people in their gardens if you can see it from a public right of way.

I think it's fine to video warm ups when the public can stand and watch. Slightly confused about how being allowed to take photos differs from being allowed to video or watch.

But we will agree to differing opinions

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
You are allowed to video people in their gardens if you can see it from a public right of way.
Er, not quite.

Even if the garden is visible from a public right of way there is still reasonable expectation of privacy.

And there is a big difference between the act of recording a still or moving image and the act of distributing that image with the intent to intimidate or harass.

reynold

Visit site

How does this tally with the FEI banning photography? The last paragraph the FEI communications director states “This really is not a PR exercise. It’s about walking the talk. We need to embrace scrutiny, and not shy away from it or deny it, and we need to champion change.”

Also interesting that the Netherlands does a survey every 3 years to measure the support (or otherwise) for the continuing keeping and use in sport of horses.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
That's better, that should have been made clear from the start.

Shows that the FEI haven’t thought things through. I assumed it was to stop people /organisations filming the whole event and selling it, but when I read the original info it sounded like they weren’t allowing any filming. Now it’s clear that anyone can film if they want to …