Feling a bit like they've burst my baloon...............

pip6

Visit site
I used to ride a mini clyde (15.2hh) for friend. People were rude about him, so after doing fittening work & being told by owner he was honest xc, we did the 3' xc at Barossa near Sandhurst RMA. Bless him he galloped full tilt around that (hilly) course, with me taking a slight pull a few strides from each fence. That honest soul went clear, even over the corners etc, to finish 3rd against the fancier army horses. Don't care what he looked like, I wouldn't have swapped 'Gillians Leo' for anything xc.

pansymouse

Visit site
Smile, grit your teeth and just remember their comments reflect their inadequacies and insecurities not your achievement. Build yourself a mental comments waste bin and pop the negative sniping of others into it, close the lid and get on with enjoying your horse, your life and your achievements.

STRIKER

Visit site
She is your horse, she makes you happy, who cares what others think, and dont forget the green eyed monster called jealousy, so laugh in their face

wattamus

Visit site

Bernster

Visit site
Eeeeee (Sighing...)...there's always someone on a yard that will 'burst your balloon', bless ya. There you are, bursting with enthusiasm and pride on your achievements yesterday and all some can do, is drag it down,...very immature and in my honest opinon, there's a little bit of the green eyed monster lurking there with their comments. Sadly with some folk,...'bigger is better' in their eyes,...how shallow of them.

You give yourself a big pat on the back for a job well done and a big hug to your girl...and quite frankly,...sod what they think and you just carry on having fun and enjoying your horse my love.

Look forward to your next outing and jolly well ignore those kinds of people. Hope your injuries aren't too bad today!!

Here here.

I've been in a similar position OP and it does hurt, but I think it's cos we have so much invested in our horses that we are super sensitive. I'm pretty bullish about stuff but one nasty thing really upset me.

As someone said to me, the one's criticising are always the one's sitting watching. Flippin well done, sounds like you had a great day so good for you.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Look at her trying her heart out for you bless her! :) What wonderful pics and fantastic memories to treasure.

Don't let the silly old bints take the shine off for you. Just feel sorry for them, it must be horrible being so bitter all the time. ;)

Penumbra

Visit site
Your lovely horse actually looks a lot like a pony I know who is an amazing show jumper despite only being about 13.2hh so I certainly wouldn't be doubting his cross country ability.

Well done on your results and hope you do even better next time out.

alainax

Visit site
Blooming well done, and you both look so fab together!

Be proud when people say " really ? on that horse?" yup! you two are so awesome that you can kick the "usual suspects" ass! :D

I used to love turning up in my beat up trailer, dragging out my heinz 57 TBx, who lived out 24/7, more hairy than a yak, chucking on the second hand saddle - getting in the ring and kicking ass :D

Walking through the lorry park with a clutch full of red rossettes, while getting dirty looks from the princesses chucking the reins of their £20k+ pony at their groom to load into the uber fancy lorry.

You cant beat that feeling!

:D

Charlie007

Visit site
As others have said they are obviously jealous!! That is a fantastic achievement after not being out for a year!!

My bubble was burst when my farrier at the time said ' where's the ploughing match' whilst referring to my newly acquired horse. Said horse then went on to win consistently at dressage, showjumping, xc, working hunter. He also teamchased and hunted. Never stopped at a fence and was as genuine as they come!!!

Have fun with your lovely horse and when your placed again just have a little smile to yourself!!

Leg_end

Visit site
Well done you!

Try not to let people get you down... I had a similar experience after the first show I went to with Buddy after he'd been written off by the vets. We came second - I was thrilled to have just been there - but there were people on my yard who didn't even say 'well done' but worst of all proceeded to say the judge wasn't watching the tests properly as my horse couldn't possibly have been placed above theirs!! I was gutted that they couldn't just be happy for me but figured they either had no idea what they were saying could be seen as so hurtful and mean or they meant it to sound like it did! I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt but my husband says I've always been rubbish at judging people's characters ;)

Woody Le Bois

Visit site
Completely ignore those people. I know what you feel. I have a Standardbred and when I first got him I got a lot of: "he is a pacer, what are you doing?? :O" not to mention getting laughed at and generally discouraged. Now we are eventing (ok maybe not Badminton just yet but still), and jumping 1.20 courses with no problem (he has a cracking jump). We got rid of the pacing with training and getting more and more confident. So I will keep my fingers crossed for you two. And well done!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
agreed-they are jealous-well done :)

my first prelim with my last horse-I was so nervous as he could be as sharp as heck. It was really a very low key RC job with a WT test and a couple of prelims. He was so obedient, the judge got out of her car to ask about him (foreign breed), I was thrilled to get a very generous and encouraging score and came 4th. Someone I knew locally, who I beat, told me to not pay any heed to my score 'that judge was marking highly and the marks weren't representative' (not sure of what). I just replied I was pleased to be placed ahead of her much more experienced mare, who had after all, been competing at prelim for at least ten years ;) (really bitchy I know, but still).

eta-just seen the photos, I think she's lovely!

Last edited:

Burmilla

Visit site
Hey, well done!! Love your horse's look of "I'm doing my best long leap here - watch me!". Many congratulations to you both.
Having had some similar nasty comments in the past, which I was very upset by, I realised later that they came from people who had broken their horses by over facing them or riding them into the ground. Oh well. "Where it ain't, you can't find it", as my old granny used to say . . .!

Fides

Visit site
One thing I try to live by is too only take criticism from people I respect. When I have had problems with my youngsters I tend to look at peoples' histories to see if they actually have any experience with youngsters before holding any weight in what they say.

Amyree

Visit site
Sheer jealousy!!Ignore them!! Be proud of yourself and your horse, wish I was doing that well with my boy xx

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
She's gorgeous and you two look really good together. You must be quite rightly, really chuffed with her. Go Bean !

No wonder some of the other liveries are jealous.

Lexi_

Visit site
Seeing as you are all being so lovely I thought I'd show you a picture (well picture link) no crit on position please- was in safety mode ;)
This was in the timed section, we disagreed on a stride so she missed at least one and really had to strain!
http://www.berylarmstrongphotography.co.uk/336o7459

I would like to emphasise this picture makes us both look heavier than we are Bean is half the size!

http://www.berylarmstrongphotography.co.uk/336o7461#photo

Massive well done to both of you! Bean is absolutely gorgeous - she looks very like a pony I used to ride who also used to surprise people with his cross-country skills :)

Tiffany

Visit site
Don't worry about what other people think, she's your horse and you were pleased with her so don't let them spoil it for you.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I just don't understand why people would do that. Are you on the right yard? My fellow liveries would be buying champagne for anyone who went out and did that! What a shame they can't simply celebrate your fab achievement! You go, girl, you look fab together and it's a heck of a thing to do so well!

deb_l222

Visit site
I've just seen this quote / comment on Facebook and thought it quite appropriate:-

Don't be distracted by criticism.

Remember, some people only taste success when they take a bite out of yours!!

There is a piccie but I'm useless with those lol. Well done you.

Walrus

Visit site
We were there too! I did the ode. Definitely sounds like they were jealous, ignore them. The xc course was ace, we've never been there before. If it makes you feel better we had 5 refusals on the xc course as it was my pony's first proper go at a 'proper' xc course and it took us a few false starts to get going and we had a short debate at the ditch, but I was thrilled to bits as when it clicked my pony was brilliant (considering I'd had a sleepless night the night before about the trakhaner and then he flew it), I'm still buzzing today!