Field shelters- if you have one, does it get used?

CavaloBranco

Visit site
Last spring, so 9 months or so ago, I bought my 2 horses a field shelter, deluxe version, large size, 2 entrances, on skids, very solid and very expensive. Being a hot summer I waited for them to use it...and waited....unfortunately they are used to coming into their stables during the day (one has restricted grazing) and we get lots of midges and flies.

So winter cometh and I get excited as we have 3 exposed fields which look straight onto the Downs. This is the moment! But no, it has now become very scary and they are not going NEAR it any time soon. Today is torrential rain, heavy gales and...they are just chilling, rumps to wind. They have cosy rugs so no need to feel sorry for them.

The only person who is eyeing the shelter longingly is my husband! He has many man sheds already so no need to feel sorry for him.I think about the Caribbean holiday I could have enjoyed instead!

So, does anyone's horse use their *****ing shelter?!

Antw23uk

Visit site
Nope not really. I have a field shelter in the top paddock and they may stand near it sometimes but i tend to have an open yard policy and they will use their stables occasionally. Winter paddock has a large brick building and they are rugless ..... nope, bums to the wind, heads down. Never seen them happier!

DD

Visit site
yes my 2 use it a lot. its a large shelter 30ft x 12ft doorway in the centre. 2 horses. they use it daily lie down in the dry shavings eat hay from their nets and judging by the amount of poo in the mornings I think they hold all night parties for their mates! they also have a smaller shelter across the field and stand in that if the wind is blowing strongly from the west.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
In the summer they are quite grateful for it. My oldies live out so it gives respite from the flies. Never see them use it otherwise.

Reactions: DD

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Jay Man had one in his winter turnout, which also doubles as my arena. It was tiny, like a bus stop. I think it is 10 ft X 6 ft, back to the wind so it is sheltered.

As soon as he saw it he marched over and side passed in. It was a cosy shelter from the wind and in which to eat hay. The only time he came out was... when it rained! I think the sound of the rain on the Onduline panels worried him as his stable was proper tiles.

The new horse uses the shelter to keep her hay dry, and stands most of the day with her front end in and her rear end out. It means she is standing uphill. I can ask her to go in and she will, but has no wish to get her ass in there out of the rain.

Petalpoos

Visit site
Yes. Mine always use their summer one when, between 12 and 2, they are generally in there dozing plus they go in at other times if the horse flies are rampaging, particulary if I take pity on them and put some hay in. In the winter, they come in occasionally during the day when it's raining and they want a doze. They are shut into a smaller no-grass paddock at night, with the shelter, and spend much of the night inside, judging by the poos. The winter field shelter is actually like 2 stables with no doors and I put full beds down and give them hay at night so a bit like Antw23uk's open yard policy. Also rugless. Maybe just persevere and they will use it in the summer at least.

meleeka

Visit site
I don’t have shelters as such but stables open 25/7. Mine use them a lot and I’ve even seen them go in there, have dung then walk into! I hang hang haynets inside when the weather is rubbish.

gina2201

Visit site
My OH built my shetlands a field shelter after Christmas. I dont know if they use it over night but I've never found them in it except where I've put hay in to get them used to it and show them where it is! Possibly might get used more in summer but only time will tell.

Darbs

Visit site
Yep, ours use it all the time, both summer and winter, although there is no pattern to it. It can be horizontal rain or snow and they stand out, or it can be a 'normal' type of day and they're in. They certainly like having it thats a fact, sometimes they cant be bothered to come out, and seem to fancy a pyjama day! (We put the doors on so we can get him ready under cover or get them in for the vet, farrier etc)

Sonic and Treacle in Shelter.jpg

windand rain

Visit site
Used to but it blew down in a gale and was never replaced, they only used it in thunderstorms in summer and as it was made of metal I didnt think it was a great idea. My guess would be they would use them if the food was in there but not if there was not. However we have a 8 ft wall at the end of the field and they do shelter behing that if its cold and windy they were there today out of the wind

Highflinger

Visit site
Mine use it all the time in the summer - one is in there virtually 24/7 - not at all in winter. They do stand beside it when it is wet and windy but not in it.

only_me

Visit site
Yep, spoilt horse actually has stable and the proper field shelter (3 side, open totally at front) but in summer he mostly stands in his stable, half in half out lol. The alpacas lie in front of the shelter and the donkeys stand behind it 🙈

The winter shelter the donkeys lie in, horse stands under trees in front of it!

hollyandivy123

Visit site
ok it does not matter the size, oldie had option of a barn, very large bed, pile of hay, covered outside bit....................................if it rains you would find him under a tree and flinching when the rain drops got to him.................his choice

cauda equina

Visit site
Mine love their shelters; they've spent most of today inside
The old boy was very suspicious at first. I had to lead him in and feed him in there but now he uses it all year round

catembi

Visit site
At my last house, the field shelter was two twelve foot stables with the doors permanently pinned back. I used to put the hay in there to stop it blowing away or getting wet. Shelter was used extensively in summer to get away from the flies, but in winter they would often stand next to it rather than *in* it. Ex racer and Shetland. But I figured that they knew what they wanted and let them get on with it.

WandaMare

Visit site
Yep mine use ours mainly in summer to escape the heat and flies, in winter they stand against it to shelter from the wind but if there is very heavy rain or hail, they go straight in.

CavaloBranco

Visit site
Thank you for your replies everyone! Hmmmm....lots of yours use them! I think we might move it closer to the yard when the ground is dry enough, they are complete wimps about being too far out of sight. Both mummy's boys clearly.

Pc2003

Visit site
At my old yard we had shelters in the winter paddocks but in the gelding fields it became a meeting place for awful behaviour! The geldings never went in it but chewed it, broke it, fought around it and generally pratt about over it so eventually it had to go!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Thank you for your replies everyone! Hmmmm....lots of yours use them! I think we might move it closer to the yard when the ground is dry enough, they are complete wimps about being too far out of sight. Both mummy's boys clearly.
Mine like to keep an eye on what I'm doing from their shelter, especially if they think that food may be involved...

image.jpeg

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Yes, mine all use their shelter, to get away from flies in the summer, out of the rain in the winter, and to sleep in, but most importantly to poop in luxury. Bastards....
Are you a nice owner who beds down the shelter? I'm a tough owner who lets them cope with rubber mats over concrete. This morning, after a wild and stormy night, I found 13 sets of droppings in there waiting neatly for me for pick up, easier than if I had to seach for them in the field. In nicer weather there may be none.

image.jpeg

JillA

Visit site
Nope, except as a wind break. I did have one rescue who loved it, she would trot over into it, turn round and own it, but the others haven't been bothered. I put all the uneaten hay as bedding in it and there have been a couple of droppings since autumn but nothing of late

PapaverFollis

Visit site
The Beast has no shelter. She was, however, using the "poo mountain" as a windbreak today. It's not quite tall enough but was giving her legs some protection!