Fighting a losing battle

scats

Visit site
I have no idea how I can keep the weight off the Diva given our current situation.

She has EMS, on metformin. She was diagnosed last week with a rare disorder that means her trachea is collapsed the whole way from throat to chest, as a result, she has to work harder to breathe even at rest. She copes absolutely fine at rest and in walk, just sounds more blowy than a normal horse, but in trot and canter her pharynx also collapses, so she essentially cannot get enough air in to exercise.
Vet advice was to try and keep her doing some trot and canter, due to her weight, in very short bursts but be very much guided by her and if she can't sustain it, then back to walk to get her breath back.

As a result of her airway problem, she cannot be stabled the whole time as dust particles from beds, hay of nearby horses etc, can make her problem worse.

If she wears a grazing muzzle, she gets very distressed and blowy because she then finds it more difficult to breathe. I have her on a very bald field overnight, with a pony who keeps her moving around a lot (without chasing), she comes in to 1kg of hay that I soak (but doesn't eat it all, she's not greedy) and has Balancer to get her metformin in her (1 cup a day)

I am riding her every day, hacking around our farm, but mostly in walk. If we have a trot or a canter, she manages maybe 30 seconds worth before needing to stop - vets have said she must be allowed to stop when she needs to. Underneath this, she has been very fit as obviously prior to this diagnosis I was being told she was simply fit and unfit and to get her as fit as possible, so what we are doing now is simply not having any impact on her at all and is not going to cut it with weight loss. I struggled before, so it's near-on impossible now.

Pony in herself is fine. They think she's had this problem for many years (congenital) so she has adapted very well. She has more breathless days, the atmosphere of the air can affect her as well, and some much better days, but the exercise issue doesn't change. But I am well aware that she is going to cope much better with less weight to carry. Last week she weighed 508. I want to get her down to 450 with the idea of then trying to get her down to 400, but I realise this may be near on impossible.

I am distraught because I don't know what I can do to help her. Not being able to exercise her properly is the biggest problem. She's gone from 6 days a week full-on work, to pootling about on the end of the rein - she can no longer be be ridden into a contact as this actually shuts her windpipe off.

I am open to any suggestions or seeking advice from anyone who has been in this situation or even a similar one.
There is no medication or treatment for her condition unfortunately. The only suggestion by the vets was to help her by getting her weight down.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I really feel for you.
Forgive me if you've tried this, but what about a greenguard muzzle? I had an older style one and it barely touched the nostrils. PITA thing to get fitted right, but you can heat and bend the muzzle part to shape it. Just a thought.

paddi22

Visit site
would there be an option to take her to the beach and do the walking in water? It would give her a better kind of aqua aerobics workout through the water, without being high cardio. the sea air might be more forgiving to her as well.

Equi

Visit site
Oh poor her and poor you :( I can't come up with anything that can help but only suggest longer or more hacks a day. Have you got a walker near by maybe?

MrsNorris

Visit site
How awful, the only thing I can think of is out 24/7 on bald field or track with her companion who keeps her moving. Feed hay if necessary but don't confine her to a stable at all, try to keep her gently moving nearly all the time. Other than that, maybe ride twice a day, but that's very time consuming, I do feel for you both, very difficult situation.

SEL

Visit site
Anywhere near by with a water treadmill you could try?

I agree that the greenguard is easier to breath through than the other muzzles.

How about trying some hay fever tablets as well? I'm wheezy at the moment because of the pollen and I wonder if that's not helping her either.

But I'm also going to say that you need to stop beating yourself up - she's a lucky pony to have such a sensitive owner who realised there was more wrong than her just being overweight. This time of the year it's a devil of a job to shift weight off them and come winter you can really go for it.

DD265

Visit site
Do you have the option to create a grass-less turnout pen/fence off a section of yard for her?

bluebellfreddy

Visit site
Sounds horrible but what quality of life is she really having. Is she can't breathe properly, even just in the field. Is not working properly, and is always on a diet. Would you be better to let her go?

scats

Visit site
Sounds horrible but what quality of life is she really having. Is she can't breathe properly, even just in the field. Is not working properly, and is always on a diet. Would you be better to let her go?

We don't feel right now that her quality of life is compromised. This was something I discussed with the vets and I'm the type who has always put horses down too early than too late. The casual observer wouldn't even know she has a problem when resting or walking around field. She does not heave or struggle to breathe, she just has an ever-so-slightly raised respiration rate. On a very hot day, she may take 22 a minute. On a cool day, she is more like 14-16.

I have said that the second I feel she is starting to seem distressed at rest, she will be put to sleep, but I do appreciate what you are saying.

scats

Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions.

MP- my friend has just bought a green guard muzzle so I will give it a go.

We are 5 minutes from the beach, so I plan to get her there at least once a week for a long walking hack.
I took her out around the farm tonight and we managed a couple of short bursts of trot and canter.

I took a video of her at rest as well, just to show that she is absolutely fine in herself at rest, in case I've painted a picture of something awful, because it really isn't when she is out grazing or resting in the stable. I'll try and work out how to get it on here tomorrow. The problem is only majorly apparent when she goes into trot.

AFB

Visit site
I really feel for you.
Forgive me if you've tried this, but what about a greenguard muzzle? I had an older style one and it barely touched the nostrils. PITA thing to get fitted right, but you can heat and bend the muzzle part to shape it. Just a thought.

This was my first thought RE muzzles, I can't see that they would restrict the nostrils