Find me a fly rug!

DressageCob

Visit site
I have a broad cob. Every year I buy him a new fly rug, and every year I get it wrong. So I need help!

Most recently I bought a Weatherbeeta ripshield one, which has given him awful rubs, after only one day.

His Amigo XL fits nicely. He’s normally a 6’3 to allow for his big shoulder, but he’s a 6’ in that rug. The problem with it is he gets very warm.

He has a Premier Equine Superlite fly rug. I can’t find it, but it rubbed his shoulder a little and ended the season frayed and coming apart at the seams so I don’t think I could use it even if I found it.

I have heard good things about the Aussie Allrounders. Does anyone have experience? I’m worried that they are a bit warm, since my horse finds a mesh fly rug too warm. But maybe because they are less clingy it would be better.

My wish list is:
- 6’3
- UV protection (this is the main reason for the rug- horse is a pink skinned skewbald who gets sunburn)
- lightweight/cool
- hardwearing would be a plus but I don’t mind buying repeatedly if the rugs fit well and aren’t too warm
- fit a broad chested, big shouldered cob

I’m not fussed about colour or style.
Any advice?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I love the shires zebra ones. Fit well, lightweight but have lasted, I do think the zebra stripes deter horse flies. On eBay now at £44 (I know because I just bought another!).

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I don't know about UV protection, but I've always used the Horseware Rambo Protector. It's tough and didn't rub my somewhat broad PRE. He is also usually a 6'3 but takes a 6' in this rug. He sweated a little bit on the hottest of days, but not nearly as much as I expected given that he is quite a sweater.

DD

Visit site
I love the shires zebra ones. Fit well, lightweight but have lasted, I do think the zebra stripes deter horse flies. On eBay now at £44 (I know because I just bought another!).
one of these lasted a couple of days on my heavy cob he shredded it :-(

vam

Visit site
Have a look at Shires, the highlander ones. they are more like a sheet than a mesh and i have found them to be good, keep her cool in the hot weather and great for keeping horse flies off. Aussie allrounders are similar, more a sheet and the horses who wear them don't overheat either, i like having a belly flap or i would have got one of those.
I also use the Equilibrium rug, really close knit mesh, fits well and doesn't seem to over heat.

TPO

Visit site
I use the amigo all rounder and horse is cooler under it than a mesh fly sheet.

I also use the weatherbeeta checked cotton sheet on dry days. The all rounder has a coating and is shower proof IME but the cotton sheet is just a cotton sheet.

I have a QH but he isnt as broad as our cob in front. They fit him well and do the job.

This is the summer sheet
https://petnpony.co.uk/products/wea...ium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqo6qxeCI6QIVFrd3Ch0iTgeGEAQYBiABEgLqqfD_BwE

SEH

Visit site
I have a wide chested cob too, would be about 6'3 rugs but I actually buy him 7' rugs for this exact reason. Changed my life when someone suggested just going up a few sizes, no longer rubs him, sometimes his tail gets a little dirty because the rug is longer and he can't lift it as high in the heavier rugs.