Find me a pony please HHOers...

G&T

Visit site
At the risk of being told to bugger off and keep my mouth shut, I was initially focused on the hind end and didn't look much at the front. But there is something seriously wrong with that near fore, he is BADLY tied in at the knee and his winter woolies are hiding it very well.

See I just don't think you can make that judgement with complete confidence just from those couple of pictures. They aren't good quality enough - bit blurry and crap angles/composition.

Re his near fore confo, do you not think that there's a kind of weird optical illusion going on in the indoor picture of him tied up, due to the colouring of his knee vs the back of his cannon/tendon if that makes any sense?

Anyway, not saying he's perfect by any means but I would wait for some better pictures and videos before dismissing him as a mule.

palo1

Visit site
I just don't think you can assess conformation practically or well enough by photos/videos to decide whether or not to view a horse. Some of the issues may not exist or may have very little significance for what you want to do Michen. :) I am gripped by this thread because it is lovely that so many people want you to find a fun, happy horse whilst Boggle is resting and recovering from injury and because it is interesting to read what others think and to look at pretty ponies just starting out! Having said that I don't think I will now ever want to publish pics of my hard working crocks - they look fine to me - I either chose them very carefully with a mind to conformation and workload among other things or bred the silly things and my vet has never suggested that any of their conformational 'faults' are responsible for any injury etc. None of them (out of 5 we have here) are perfect and I know that but I would be very demoralised by a HHO conformation critique!! Thankfully they are not destined to be world class competitors so they are probably absolutely fit for purpose and they are invariably cheerful, confident and capable sorts.

Michen

Visit site
He really was a very handsome chap with a fabulously kind eye Michen :)

If you heard what I said about him when I saw him. “Urgh I would never BUY something that looked like this”. He’s not even a “sporty” Connemara. He’s boring. He’s this he’s that. He had been plagued with unlucky things his whole life, peritonitis, a kick in the field, ended up spending years in a box causing his family so much grief. When he came to me and got fit it was like this whole world opened up to him!

He was a very different looking chap when fit and eventing, he actually looked very smart and he was a truly amazing horse. A cool dude, full of character but not needy whatsoever. Boggle is as needy as they come. Both similar in some ways though.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Just found the ridden video...so blurry it's hard to tell but I see what you mean about him having a bit of pizzazz about him. Looks like his canter might be smart when he's stronger

Michen

Visit site
Just found the ridden video...so blurry it's hard to tell but I see what you mean about him having a bit of pizzazz about him. Looks like his canter might be smart when he's stronger

Exactly! Thought he looked fun. Hairy and fun. Can fix the former. Bog has already grown a beard and it’s stressing me out a bit!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
The one thing that sticks out about a lot of these connies is that they seem to be very straight through the hocks.

Anyway Michin. Good luck with your search. I look forward to catching up on a new New Pony thread xx

Reactions: JJS

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
The one thing that sticks out about a lot of these connies is that they seem to be very straight through the hocks.

Anyway Michin. Good luck with your search. I look forward to catching up on a new New Pony thread xx

Yeah it is a bit of a breed trait, welshies are similar. (Anecdotally) I don't think it's a huge problem as long as the joints above work well with it, rather than a horse that has straight hocks because the comparative lengths of its bones in the leg are out of whack.... iyswim.

Michen

Visit site
Right guys here we go. Permission to share. I really like him, he’s actually measuring in at 15.2hh. I like him a lot under saddle more than anything.

I have some more videos to PM for anyone interested

I think the issue is with the feet more than anything. Try and imagine them at the correct, er, size.

09FC2C3E-2CE3-4CC3-A9A8-8FC40DD33EC7.jpeg09586182-B9FB-43EE-8D1D-B34B68540531.jpegB440A27D-EA2D-43C4-8FC0-568EB776AD14.jpegC207A29E-0A17-4081-BA5B-C5CB9F603D05.jpeg2C364C17-CA74-4BC0-86E7-20825C24D4A1.jpeg154E8293-264C-435F-8C1E-8BD5E10F96F0.jpeg

Last edited:

G&T

Visit site
Poor boy his feet are a bit shocking aren’t they, you might find he stands quite differently after a few decent trims! Do you know anything about his background? I’m very nosy and would love to see videos of him, think he looks like a poppet ?

Michen

Visit site
Poor boy his feet are a bit shocking aren’t they, you might find he stands quite differently after a few decent trims! Do you know anything about his background? I’m very nosy and would love to see videos of him, think he looks like a poppet ?

He is being sold by breeder. Backed last year and bought back in recently.

They are dealers/sellers.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Nicest paces I have seen so far in your videos. Feet are awful, as you said. Footfall sounds odd, but that could be because of the feet and also he was threatening to go into canter way before he did. I liked the way he took the contact better than Flash too.

He looks a real sweetie.

Michen

Visit site
Nicest paces I have seen so far in your videos. Feet are awful, as you said. Footfall sounds odd, but that could be because of the feet and also he was threatening to go into canter way before he did. I liked the way he took the contact better than Flash too.

He looks a real sweetie.

Oh he sure was maybe that’s why I like him. He’s surprisingly flashy isn’t he.

I’m a big fan of this one.

G&T

Visit site
Aww just watched his trot up video, he does look like loads of fun! Laughed at him cantering on the road, Irish ponies rule ?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
ISH

I haven't looked at all the links so sorry if she's been linked to before. I just saw her and thought she looked nicely put together (for a non-arab ;) :p)
https://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/...&advertType=forsale&orderBy=mostRecent&page=3
40867325-725-640x480.jpg