Fingers on the button

Getbackboys

Visit site
Re the feral pony post - what is it with HnH members, as soon as someone disagrees and sees something different to the rest of the sheep then they all have their fingers on the ignore, report, block button - and yet not one of you can disagree that we have become a throw away society and animals are suffering because of mankind, yes yes i get it i read the thread, the pony had teeth problems and degenerative desmitis behind so ending his life was doing him a favour. Thankfully it all went quietly and peacefully which we would want for any animals in this world incl those unfortunatete birds, rabbits and hedghogs run over on the road. I guess the same applies to all those thousands of poor starving, abused, neglected dogs, cats horses, burros, donkeys etc in the world that find themselves in kill shelters and slaughter houses waiting to have their lives ended because of mankind. It is horrific and no words can describe the pain and despair these poor animals are enduring. To those who tried to impy that I would be one of those owners who let an animal suffer you are so very wrong.

But going back to the thread where my reply clearly offended some sheep i recall the very first part of the introduction was something like “i have just acquired a field and there is a feral pony, how to pts’ so i am sorry but immediate knee jerk reaction to speak up for the poor pony who was basically unwanted and had been left in a newly acquired field.

If one wants support to make themselves feel better about ending a ponys life then best make sure the begiinning of the thread reads correctly so you get all the sheep to follow, something like “how to catch an old pony who has become feral and has what would seem from a distance has some health issues“ get your replies, then take the thread further on how it would be in the ponys best interests to have its life ended and it has been abandoned in a field recently acquired and any suggestions on how to catch him so this can be done peacefully. Which would stop those of us who can walk alone to not ending up having knee jerk reactions and being ostracised because of it.

Sadly i saw anonter poster who spoke about their fear of their old horse being shot had her comment shot down by the HnH army for thinking out of the box. Unbelievable.

Like i said i can sleep at night - now get those fingers ready on the ignore, block, report button - we do not all agree with each other God made us all different - can you imagine if we all agreed with whats going on at No 10……

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Re the feral pony post - what is it with HnH members, as soon as someone disagrees and sees something different to the rest of the sheep then they all have their fingers on the ignore, report, block button - and yet not one of you can disagree that we have become a throw away society and animals are suffering because of mankind, yes yes i get it i read the thread, the pony had teeth problems and degenerative desmitis behind so ending his life was doing him a favour. Thankfully it all went quietly and peacefully which we would want for any animals in this world incl those unfortunatete birds, rabbits and hedghogs run over on the road. I guess the same applies to all those thousands of poor starving, abused, neglected dogs, cats horses, burros, donkeys etc in the world that find themselves in kill shelters and slaughter houses waiting to have their lives ended because of mankind. It is horrific and no words can describe the pain and despair these poor animals are enduring. To those who tried to impy that I would be one of those owners who let an animal suffer you are so very wrong.

But going back to the thread where my reply clearly offended some sheep i recall the very first part of the introduction was something like “i have just acquired a field and there is a feral pony, how to pts’ so i am sorry but immediate knee jerk reaction to speak up for the poor pony who was basically unwanted and had been left in a newly acquired field.

If one wants support to make themselves feel better about ending a ponys life then best make sure the begiinning of the thread reads correctly so you get all the sheep to follow, something like “how to catch an old pony who has become feral and has what would seem from a distance has some health issues“ get your replies, then take the thread further on how it would be in the ponys best interests to have its life ended and it has been abandoned in a field recently acquired and any suggestions on how to catch him so this can be done peacefully. Which would stop those of us who can walk alone to not ending up having knee jerk reactions and being ostracised because of it.

Sadly i saw anonter poster who spoke about their fear of their old horse being shot had her comment shot down by the HnH army for thinking out of the box. Unbelievable.

Like i said i can sleep at night - now get those fingers ready on the ignore, block, report button - we do not all agree with each other God made us all different - can you imagine if we all agreed with whats going on at No 10……
I hadn't read the thread, feral ponies aren't of interest to me, but I read your opener with astonishment.

For completeness, I looked you up to find the thread (a link would have been helpful) and can see why you were jumped on. It seems you didn't research the full story, which is usually excusable, but when saying someone is wrong to PTS, then really it would simply have been polite and manners to read round first.

I really wanted to comment that, whilst reading your opener, it occurred to me that calling everyone sheep on numerous occasions is never going to end well.

However, while I am writing, I guess if the pony had meant so much to you, you could have offered to take it? Someone like Richard Maxwell could have helped load it (£700 ish), a box would be around £150 if local, up to £300 if not, a vet to sedate £250... and he could have been yours!

As it is, I see you now believe the PTS was not incorrect due to medical conditions, so I don't really know why you have come on, calling people names and generally angling for a fight. Because I guess you will now bite me back, other people will comment, you will bit back again... It isn't going to go well!

Maybe a simple apology, such as, I'm sorry I was so het up, because I sincerely believe that all animals are worth as much as anyone, and because of that I was a little hasty. You will find that this would get a totally different reaction.

Peglo

Visit site
My knee jerk reaction was also ‘oh no! Poor pony!’ But then I read the whole story and put myself in their position. I have 3 horses, 2 of which cost me a fortune in their old retired years which i willingly pay because they are mine and my responsibility.
If I acquired a feral pony in its late teens I have neither the time, money or knowledge to know how to deal with it. So should I dispatch one or both of the old ones that are happy and mine to spend time and money with an unhappy, unhealthy pony that wasn’t ever my responsibility and that is unlikely to ever enjoy its circumstances fully?

I agree we’re in a throw away world and the way some animals are treated breaks my heart and makes me so angry. But the thread you are talking about certainly does not come into that category. I have so much admiration for the way the OP dealt with that sad and tricky situation. Call me a sheep if you like, I like sheep ??‍♀️ They’re bloody cute! (If a bit dim…. Guess it’s still fitting for me ?)

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I totally support what the poster did in that thread and how she went about it. I think it's also cruel to start a thread like this.

Also, death, such as how it happened with the feral pony, is NOT the worst thing that can happen to a horse, in almost any scenario. Do you think after they die they are thinking (you can't think after you die, btw) "why did they kill me? I could've lived and done xyz?" Euthanasia is often a kind option and alleviates suffering. This thread did not illustrate a "throwaway society" (which we can be, in some respects) in the slightest.

It's not that you disagreed with sheep either. There weren't sheep, there were people supporting the OP and agreeing with her rational decision. She did put thought behind it and it wasn't just "I'm killing this pony today to get my jollies and I just don't like him"

I dont get why you're so fixed on blaming others for your own knee jerk reaction. You could've asked for more details yourself. Or you could've said, "Oh sorry, I jumped to conclusions and had a knee jerk reaction. Now that more details have been provided, I understand." The end

This wasn't easy for the OP. Now you've started some bizarre thread on the manner pour salt in the wound? Ok.

Sure HHO can be rather one sided at times, but generally when a consensus is reached and many HHO'ers agree, there's a good reason for it. It's not because they're sheep, being an army, and/or want to single someone out.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
First time I've ever been called a sheep ?

I support every poster on the forum who wants to put down a horse.

1. Because nobody posts on a forum that they're thinking of putting down a horse unless they are in a bad place. They might not explain, or you might not understand, the whole of that place they are in, but you can rest assured that it isn't good.

2. Because a dead horse can't have one moment's pain, confusion, ill treatment (however well intentioned) and I would sooner see a completely healthy horse PTS than I would see any more lame/sad/old/sick horses kept alive through ignorance or because of the emotional needs of the owner.

not one of you can disagree that we have become a throw away society and animals are suffering because of mankind

Not one? My, what an arrogant statement to make ?

I disagree with you completely that we have become a more throwaway society as regards horses. In 50 years of being around horses, I've seen ever increasing efforts made to fix "broken" horses and there is an entire industry now built around offering the old and unfixable a retirement for the rest of their natural lifespan.

ETA Can I ask you how old the horse you wrote about on another thread was when you found him in the field unable to get up?

Last edited:

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
First time I've ever been called a sheep ?

I support every poster on the forum who wants to put down a horse.

1. Because nobody posts on a forum that they're thinking of putting down a horse unless they are in a bad place. They might not explain, or you might not understand, the whole of that place they are in, but you can rest assured that it isn't good.

2. Because a dead horse can't have one moment's pain, confusion, ill treatment (however well intentioned) and I would sooner see a completely healthy horse PTS than I would see any more lame/sad/old/sick horses kept alive through ignorance or because of the emotional needs of the owner.

Not one? My, what an arrogant statement to make ?

I disagree with you completely that we have become a more throwaway society as regards horses. In 50 years of being around horses, I've seen ever increasing efforts made to fix "broken" horses and there is an entire industry now built around offering the old and unfixable a retirement for the rest of their natural lifespan.

ETA Can I ask you how old the horse you wrote about on another thread was when you found him in the field unable to get up?

Yeah, in terms of horses there has always been an element of "throwaway" there. Especially years ago when they weren't "pets" and were working animals and a main form of transportation.

Now there are all sorts of fixes, charities, and people supporting lawn ornaments. I even saw one person (through FB) has a horse with a prosthetic leg, instead of putting it down, which would've been kinder, IMO.

"Back in the day" if you shot a horse for no longer doing its job, I think many didn't bat an eye, nowadays, there are many more screaming cruelty at you from their armchair.

I do think some are of the throwaway mentality when it comes to animals, but they are generally the few rather than the many, in my experience.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Ridiculous to suggest A. We have a more throw away attitude to horses now than we once did! And B. That there would be any kind of throw away attitude involved in SEL's decision about that pony.

I don't remember exact details but I probably jumped on your post because the idea that SEL "just wanted rid" of the pony was so preposterous and your wording was harsh iirc.

Not a sheep. I'm always disagreeing with people on here and I've never used the block function.

I come to my own conclusions and my conclusion with respect to both your posts on the original thread and your post here is that you are either a pure troll, trolling someone going through an upsetting time (nice. Does that make you feel good?) Or you are a genuine, sanctimonious piece of work that I wouldn't put in charge of a hamster.

TPO

Visit site
Well aren't you a delight ??

Starts a thread to single out a poster and make untrue generalisations about other forum users. Surely that makes you worse than the accusations you are banding about?

You clearly have no real life experience of any of the situations that you are posting about, can only presume that you are a child or someone with limited life experience.

Hope starting a thread with the aim of attacking someone who did, and has always, put an animal's welfare and quality of life first makes you feel good.

Enjoy your day, pretty sure you'll be banned before you can stir up anything else ?

J&S

Visit site
Throw away!? So that is why many of us on here spend years of our lives, & a lot of our hard earned money on keeping our oldies (dogs and horses et al) alive and WELL ??
However, I do think that there are too many societies and individuals who spend time, money and energy on sad, unhappy dogs and horses, who, for no fault of their own, carry some dreadful baggage and (like the feral pony) are unable to be re-introduced into a normal life.

babymare

Visit site
So I guess I’m part of that “throw away” bit of society when I had my beautiful young mare PTS due to me moving out of area and both my vet and I both agreed to move her would be to much for her due to being half blind and major stress issues from previous abuse. I didn’t just throw her away but thought long and hard before making one of hardest decisions I have made. How dare you use the term “throw away “. Not all in society are like that!

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I've never come across a post of yours before but I do now know to simply put you on UI to save accidentally reading any of your posts again.

I hope anyone that might have read this & had a horse PTS to avoid further suffering recognises that although very sad, has ultimately done that horse a huge favour & not thrown him or her away.

windand rain

Visit site
I would say it is less throw away in many cases than it used to be. Horses living into their 40s supported by loving famililies, cats and dogs coming from rescues instead of buying some from foreign soil (not something I agree with until every suitable animal in the UK is rehomed) I and many others on here have seen trends change from skinny hard worked animals to the now common obese laminitic and underworked pets many have become. Both are equally cruel but no doubt a fat horse is a healthy horse in a lot of peoples eyes. If I am a sheep to think a dead horse is better of than a suffering one so be it. What ever the reason to PTS or quite frankly a better option IMHO shot then that horse is free of pain/suffering abuse and degradation from that point on. I know that some will disagree but the throw away bit to me has always been this ones broken sell it for a new one/younger one/prettier one. This is an attitude not often seen on Horse and Hound but regularly on facebook. I also agree that selling for most on here is an admission of failure where the horse doesn't fit the person but most have given it a real good go before deciding to sell. Maybe I am nuts as I try to keep mine for life but that too is not always possible when you move, when financial circumstances change, when health of the humans changes there is no guarantees in keeping horses for their lifetime as 30 odd years a lot of changes can happen.

EllenJay

Visit site
Wow! Even your synopsis of the OP is completely incorrect. The actual précis is:-

"I have brought a field complete with 2 residents. One is fine, the second is completely feral and is obviously very unhappy and dangerous for humans. I think it's best for him to be put out of his misery, and want to know what is the kindest way to do it."

Nothing "throw away" in that - just an obviously kind and caring person

Getbackboys

Visit site
Hello everyone, thank you for replying.

Firstly i apologise for always coming across as being angry and not nice, i am exactly the opposite, i just seen to be the one that always gets the shit in the can when everyone else gets custard. YES i am a sheep as well sometimes and it doesnt bother me. I love sheep hey ewe who me yes ewe ??

I wanted to reply to the other thread to apologise for my knee jerk reaction but sadly i couldnt because by then all the ignore and report buttons had been pressed, SO this post was just me asking what is it, as soon as someone disagrees then the ignore buttons and report buttons get pressed instead of finding out what the real reason is for the thread becoming unhappy or posters not agreeing, what is their reason istead of just saying how wrong they are, bit like whipping the horse for spooking instead of explaining to it that what it is seeing no not scary. ? there have been many unpleasant post on this forum over the years, and i am not talking about mine.

In answer to YCBM my dear horse was 23 so not old who was down in the field and couldnt get up, he was never sick or sorry a day in his life, he had not been down long (i have cctv at the field and could see him at 3am so must have gone down sometime after that i got to the field at 8am) but we couldnt get him up although he tried sitting up like a dog but couldnt lift his back end. The vet said he may have damaged his spine or pelvis we dont know because i did not have a post mortem done..It was heart breaking he was my heart horse, so please dont imply that he might have been 55 with arthritis and should have been pts long ago…

i am all for putting an animal down on welfare grounds, going back to the feral pony post in the first paragraph when i got my knee jerk reaction no health issues were mentioned, those came later. i simply read the thread as ”new field someone else unwanted pony occupying it, how to get it shot?”

Please research all the kill shelters and kill pens and auctions in America and the UK and you will understand why i say we have become a throw away society. How can you say we have not the facts are all there? owners walking in to kill shelters with their dogs who lets admit become part of the family and just left at the shelter knowing if no fosterer rescuer comes forward in a 7 day period the poor thing will be pts. YES i donate to these rescues to try and get these animals rehomed and rescued, some just need a decent meal they have nothing physically wrong with them.

Can i just bring in Honeypots post about how she would end the life of an old arthritic horse if the owner couldnt wouldnt do it and everyone jumped down on her/his post, when in a way this is exactly what SEL has done. No offence SEL i am not having a go at you. it is a situation not a personal attack.

As per my pre post re Honeypot post the reason for this post is why it amazes me that unless a poster agrees with the majority of posts then they get double barrelled, my father used to say, dont give it if you cant take it, or agree just to have a happy life.

To the poster asking why didnt i offer to take him, if the field i rent was mine and i was not limited to how many horses i could have on it, i would have, or at least tried to.

We could go on and on with reason and excuses why and what for but lets just agree to disagree, i apologise for jumping down everyones throats, i am not a sanctimonious git ?? i dont actually know what i am but I Am Sorry ?

Getbackboys

Visit site
TPO your post is exactly what i am referring to about being banned, unless you post all sweet and cookies and agree with everyone then you get put on ignore, block or report it is unbelievable, we cannot all agree we were not made that way. Not long ago there was a documentary on the slaughter of race horses so please dont say i dont know what i am talking about, There is a very small percentage of us humans who are doing their best with saving animals and supporting charities, but there is also a large number who throw them away. I am referring to ALL animals not just horses.

I cant even post a reply without a moderator having to approve it and yet, there have been worse posts on this forum by others in the past, i have not sworn at anyone or used vulgar language,

EllenJay actually my synopsis is not far from what was said i didnt type it word for word but it still doesnt say that the pony has welfare issued, it was called dangerous, crikey how many post do you read where because a horse has its ears back it is becoming dangerous, anyhow going back to point the post still said to put it out of its misery this is bot different to what i put in my post but i admitted it gave me a knee jerk reaction, i believe others also had a knee jerk reaction.

YCBM i hope you find a nice home for your not long ago acquired Joe, i would have liked him but i cant have anymore on my field sadly, and he would have been treated like a king, people who know me try and pass their horses on to me because they know they will be looked after to the bitter end, like wise i get asked to look after their horses in their absence because as a recent person to me over New Year, I ask you because i know it will be done.

take care be safe

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Can i just bring in Honeypots post about how she would end the life of an old arthritic horse if the owner couldnt wouldnt do it and everyone jumped down on her/his post, when in a way this is exactly what SEL has done. No offence SEL i am not having a go at you. it is a situation not a personal attack.

it's not remotely what SEL has done. SEL was the owner, having acquired the pony when she bought her land.

i think what posts like this show is that it's best to read the full thread before wading in. Not everything will necessarily be in the OP. Plus forum regulars will have seen previous posts that might add further context and inform the reply given. Flying off the handle at people is rarely helpful or productive.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site

Yes, you are having a go at SEL. Sure it's disguised behind this "sheep" and "disagreeing" thing, but you are having a go at that poster. It's all a bit passive aggressive, tbh.

No one is expecting you to be super nice or overly polite, they're just expecting you to be decent. There is a way to disagree and a way ro respectfully disagree.

Sossigpoker

Visit site

Well calling people sheep isn't going to get anyone to read the rest of the post positively and with an open mind.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Well aren't you a delight ??

Starts a thread to single out a poster and make untrue generalisations about other forum users. Surely that makes you worse than the accusations you are banding about?

You clearly have no real life experience of any of the situations that you are posting about, can only presume that you are a child or someone with limited life experience.

Hope starting a thread with the aim of attacking someone who did, and has always, put an animal's welfare and quality of life first makes you feel good.

Enjoy your day, pretty sure you'll be banned before you can stir up anything else ?
And wonders why their posts have to be approved by a moderator ?

Last edited:

Getbackboys

Visit site
Thanks everyone for reading, I gave my apology which i wanted to do on the other relevant thread, NO it was not a personal dig at SEL how can it be i do not know her. it was a moan at the situation in hand, just like I am actually a nice person whilst some of you may disagree but my aggressive responses are when i feel emotional about something but know me in real life and i am a nice helpful person. While we have the choice to make decisions in life so i will leave you to yours whilst i continue to deal with mine.

Take care everyone and lets move forward. i have learnt a lesson in life from this thread and i will count to 105 in future before i put finger to keyboard that will avoid knee jerk reactions.

To those who might be interested, i was offered a one eyed aged mare after i lost my heart horse and i agreed to take her, she is doing well and settled in with the other two remaining ponies i have left. They were also not direct rescue cases, one i passed him every day in a flooded field with no hay or rugs skin and bone long feet, i started throwing hay over the fence, left a note finally got a call, owners had been i Australia for a month, a long story short i offered to look after him they insisted i buy him cost me £1,000 but i could not sleep at night knowing this pony was living how he was. So i agreed and purchased him, he is a welshy very sweet when you have caught him but a monster to catch, i have learnt to put a headcollar on him first thing when eating brekkie otherwise there isnt a chance in hell of catching him after that.

The other is 37 years old shetland with locking stifle, he was rescued by previous owners with his mate (who i sadly had to pts as he had ems and constant bouts of laminitis he went to heaven after trying for a year with various ways of treating him and keeping him but i had to look at quality over quantity of life, he was 18 so had had a good innings). Going back to the 37 year old he is very sweet, rugged up, cant eat hay so get fed supa beet, conditioning mash and linseed with a bit of chaff to extend chewing time, he is in good condition for this time of year. I miss my heart horse and his little companion who sadly at 28 years of age got sheath cancer in March 2021 and had to go over rainbow bridge. I am not looking for sympathy but i had the worst year of my life in 2021 with loss of my animals, some may say that doesnt compare to those who lost their families to covid, my animals are my family.

Getbackboys

Visit site
forgot to add, i used sheep because they follow, doesnt mean they are not lovely animals, i adore sheep but i knew it would get a reaction, forgive me it was a heat of the moment thing and i am sure you have all been there.

you can call me a pig anyday you like, do you know how sweet, intelligent they are, and they are not dirty animals we make them appear dirty by locking them in small stalls, the defecate in one place, they can be trained like a dog, they adore their babies, poor things, but yes call me a pig anyday you like love it

ycbm

Visit site
Please research all the kill shelters and kill pens and auctions in America and the UK and you will understand why i say we have become a throw away society.

I don't live in the states and there are fewer bin end auctions in this country than there were 20 years ago. I used to buy from them, two in Cheshire alone have shut.

One of the two horse abattoirs in this country has also shut.

We are less of a throwaway society with horses than we have ever been in the 50 years I've been around them. Check out the number of retirement liveries that there are now.

Last edited:

ycbm

Visit site
YCBM i hope you find a nice home for your not long ago acquired Joe, i would have liked him but i cant have anymore on my field sadly, and he would have been treated like a king

My bolding.

Is this a dig at the fact that I am selling Joe, when I am losing my land and my entire lifestyle with it?

Because if it's not, you need to consider more carefully how you are choosing your words.

stangs

Visit site
To some extent, I agree with you that there is a major throwaway society with animals. Frankly, I think the number of pandemic puppies going up for sale demonstrates that far better than kill pens and sales do - as kill pens receive a serious amount of income from good-doers who buy horses from them, and there's a) fewer bin end sales than there used to be, and b) the horses are going up for more money in them.

However, starting your post talking about the case of that feral pony - where it was about putting him out of his misery, not about saving SEL money or throwing him away etc - has ruined your whole point.

If you're interested in discussing this topic further, I'd recommend you start a new, less emotive + less designed to rile people up, thread.