Firework display right next door and no contact. WWYD

scruffyponies

Visit site
The annual huge public display is scheduled for Saturday, right between my two fields. I have tried to identify and contact the organisers, but they haven't been in touch. No notice of the event, nothing.
With more rain forecast I'm very concerned about the state of the ground, as they are always frightened and charge about. I think that it's technically illegal for them to go ahead knowing there is a serious risk to livestock, but what can I do to at least make them talk to me. Currently I can't even prove they've seen my messages, as they've not responded. I'm *this* close to involving the police. They wouldn't want to know but at least I'd have my concerns on record.

scruffyponies

Visit site
Thanks. Will phone them tomorrow. I know I'm fretting, as they're usually find once they've had their run around, but it's just so out of order that they haven't even had the courtesy to contact me. It's worse this year because I can't be there in person (obvs have made sure someone will be there to check them). It's driving me bonkers.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Thanks. Will phone them tomorrow. I know I'm fretting, as they're usually find once they've had their run around, but it's just so out of order that they haven't even had the courtesy to contact me. It's worse this year because I can't be there in person (obvs have made sure someone will be there to check them). It's driving me bonkers.

It would be the Environmental department. They should know the legal position.

jules9203

www.pensdellequestrian.org.uk
Advice from Defra (2015) ..
Fireworks must not be set off near livestock or close to buildings that
house livestock, or near to horses in fields. Anyone planning a firework
display in rural areas should warn neighbouring farmers.

More broadly, the law in relation to fireworks is as follows:-

· It is illegal for anyone under 18 to possess a firework in a public
place

· Fireworks must not be set off by a private individual between 11p.m and
7a.m except for certain nights of the year

· Unless retailers possess a special licence they may only sell fireworks
from 15 October to 10 November and 26 to 31 December.

This link to the Gov.uk website contains useful information about
fireworks.

https://www.gov.uk/fireworks-the-law

CMcC

Visit site
There is a Facebook group called HOOF Horse Owners Oppose Fireworks - have a look there is some useful advice on questions to ask organisers (if you can get in touch!)

scruffyponies

Visit site
This used to happen to me every year. There was no stopping the display so I used to move the horses for that night. It was annoying but the safest option.

Sadly although I do have another field, the display is right between the two, so that doesn't help. Aside from that, moving and safely storing 11 ponies is tricky.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
There was a very useful facebook post I came across earlier with a list of things to do hopefully I will find it again as probably useful for others too.

scruffyponies

Visit site
The hardest part is that we are a small place. Lots of people enjoy the fireworks, which raise lots of money for other community events (people come for miles, because it's such a big display) so I don't want to be the one that stops it, even though I lose sleep over it every year.

Velcrobum

Visit site
Perhaps they need to relocate their display? Was the display happening before the ponies arrived or did it start after?? W

ETA which ever it was they will be breaking the law if they proceed

ester

Visit site
I understand that but moving fireworks has to be easier than moving 11 ponies.
Our yard would refuge a couple who were next to our village firework field with no stables but 11 is problematic for that.

The Trooper

Visit site
Sounds like the organisers are breaking the law to be honest.

"...Animal Welfare act 2006 to cause any unnecessary suffering to any captive or domestic animal. Fireworks must not be set off near livestock or horses in fields or close to buildings housing livestock."

This sounds like a complete over reaction but I would call the police at the first sign of the display being set up if the organisers do not do anything to ensure they are compliant with the law.

scruffyponies

Visit site
As your in a small place is there not a local farmer who could lend/rent you a field for a few days away from the display?

Mostly arable around here, so not many fenced areas. There's always the cricket ground lol!

Moving the fireworks would be the obvious thing to do. Ponies were there first, and it would make much more sense to have the fireworks at the sports club, which is only a few hundred yards away but far enough to make a difference.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
otherwise offer to move ponies to the sports club...?

Similar problem where I am. I have 4 out in the field at the moment and the neighbours want to have a fireworks display. So far we've gone with "no, no and no" when they asked if that was OK, and if the horses would be moved or stabled. (I will be moving the one resting an injury but I have her empty box on the yard where she is normally kept.)
Can't do much about the village display but that's not next door so hoping it won't be too bad.
I'd be quite happy to move mine to the rugby pitch down the road.... it would give my grazing a rest ;)

Velcrobum

Visit site
My horsey next door neighbours had a small firework party just behind my barn. I came home to fireworks landing on the roof!!!! They would not dare again as I lost the plot................................. Yes the horses were in lights on and clearly visible through the windows going nuts.

Velcrobum

Visit site
Mostly arable around here, so not many fenced areas. There's always the cricket ground lol!

Moving the fireworks would be the obvious thing to do. Ponies were there first, and it would make much more sense to have the fireworks at the sports club, which is only a few hundred yards away but far enough to make a difference.

Now you have contact let the organisers know they are breaking the law if they proceed in their current location and strongly suggest they relocate.

Leandy

Visit site

Err, you may well be right but you must see it is too late to move a large public display so close to bonfire night when it is all organised and paid for?? Perhaps you should engage with the organisers at a much earlier date (ie before they have organised it....) as it is an annual event, or make your own contingency plans well in advance?

ester

Visit site
Err, you may well be right but you must see it is too late to move a large public display so close to bonfire night when it is all organised and paid for?? Perhaps you should engage with the organisers at a much earlier date (ie before they have organised it....) as it is an annual event, or make your own contingency plans well in advance?

They've been cancelled with much shorter notice... The organisers didn't contact the OP and she has been trying to contact them before!