First Comp of 2014 - Dressage

3Beasties

Visit site
Took Missi off for some dressage on Sunday. I had been very excited at the prospect but woke up feeling terrible and full of nerves which were made worse by the fact that the weather was fowl and Moo was being a pain to get ready! Finally got loaded and headed off to our favourite little venue.

Tacked up and headed in to the warmup wrapped in waterproof layers and exercise sheets. It was pretty quiet but Moo was very tense. She's not much of a fan of wind and rain and there was a huge pipe pumping water out right next to the school! We worked on just getting her to relax and listen. Stripped off the layers and headed to the indoor. Had expected Miss to relax once in there but she was still on edge. Had a lonnngggg trot around which I probably should have made better use off and then started the test (Intro B). The nice bits felt nice but there was definite tension throughout. She didn't like the look of E which made for an interesting turn E to B and our free walk was pretty awful. Had a bit of a spook in one of the trots too. All in all, not our best test but not our worse either!

Thankfully, for once we didn't have long to wait till our next test (Prelim 4) so I stayed on and did a bit of canter. Had a bit of a broncing fit but I had the school to myself so just let her got on with it and rode her through it. Second test felt more relaxed but I lacked a bit of accuracy. The left canter was terrible but the right one felt nice enough, we are slowly improving in that area! Trot and walk where nice enough but free walked lacked energy again.

All in all I was really pleased with her. Although she was tense from having not competed for a nearly 7 weeks (I hadn't even considered that it would affect her - Silly me!) she did keep a lid on it and managed not to do anything too drastic!

Had no idea how we would be scored and had two different judges so knew it could vary hugely between classes. Was pleased with 67% in the intro and 4th place and 60% in the prelim. Not our best scores but ones that were deserved on the day :)

Here's a few piccys -
dressage1_zpsb53621b6.jpg

dressage3_zps1cb9693d.jpg

dressage2_zpsa539701d.jpg

dressage4_zpsdd806fb4.jpg

And a vid of the intro (you may want to skip the first 2 1/2 mins of us just trotting around the arena :p )
[video=youtube;OTb4Z2lviHc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTb4Z2lviHc[/video]

Have decided that that is it on the Intro front as we have been placed in the top 4 every time out and have always scored between 65% and 72% so I feel that although it is great for our confidence we probably need to get a grip and do a couple of prelims instead. Her canter is awful so hopefully I won't become too disheartened by our low scores but at the moment I feel motivated to put more work in and to get it sorted! (Only exception will be at two comps at a different venue that have been doing a championship through the winter so I want to stay at the same level for those to try and add points to what I may already have got - if that makes sense!?). So have got lots to work on and am looking forward to improving further :)

CC welcome as always :)

Sheep

Visit site
I love her, she is beautiful and you have done really well with her. I know it has been a bumpy ride! If you aren't feeling totally up to solely doing the prelims yet, confidence wise, why not enter the Intros H/C in future as a warmup to get yourself and her settled?

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Well, she doesn't look tense - she looks lovely! And what a good progression from the earlier photos, she's really coming up through her back, that's really useful to see.

3Beasties

Visit site
You can certainly see the improvement there well done :)
I really like her she is so nicely marked.

Thank you :)

Well done :)
Where you at Kings? am planning on taking the baby there end of next month - may see you there? :)

yes it was at Kings :) Are you going on the 9th Feb? If so I'll be there :)

I love her, she is beautiful and you have done really well with her. I know it has been a bumpy ride! If you aren't feeling totally up to solely doing the prelims yet, confidence wise, why not enter the Intros H/C in future as a warmup to get yourself and her settled?

A very bumpy ride but it's all paying off now! She still has her moments but that's what make her special :p I've entered two prelims for next time out so I will see how we get on. I know she can walk and trot nicely enough so I'll just concentrate on riding those bits as well as I can and then whatever happens in the canter happens!

Well, she doesn't look tense - she looks lovely! And what a good progression from the earlier photos, she's really coming up through her back, that's really useful to see.

massive improvement in those photos, you both look great :)

Great improvement. She has a lovely topline (i'm very envious - the clue is in my name). Well done.

Thank you all :)

Lovely horse and a great improvement over those months. You look a brilliant match for each other. How big is she and how is she bred?

Thanks, she is about 16.3hh I think, I need to measure her! She is down as an ISH by Crossdrum Spurs, she came from Ireland :)

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Thanks, she is about 16.3hh I think, I need to measure her! She is down as an ISH by Crossdrum Spurs, she came from Ireland :)[/QUOTE]

Oh, I know him (have ridden him, actually) - he's just up the road; nice horse and makes lovely babies :)

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
He's elderly now, about 20 I think? Not big, about 15.3 -16h, and a lovely gentleman. I rode him about 5 years ago and he was good, no quirks that manifested themselves at that time anyway :) He gets lovely stock, and they all seem athletic. I haven't owned any or schooled long term, but I do hear good reports. No pics, sorry.

Tiarella

www.myspace.com
You have worked sooo hard with her and now getting the good results. You deserve them! Well done :D Im always like "no, i dont like coloureds, they're not my type" then I look at missy "Actually no, i do like coloureds" haha! :D

Sheep

Visit site
You have worked sooo hard with her and now getting the good results. You deserve them! Well done :D Im always like "no, i dont like coloureds, they're not my type" then I look at missy "Actually no, i do like coloureds" haha! :D

I'm similar - I wasn't hugely into them either, but my bf has a mare who is extremely similar to this girl (they are related) - I think it's the pretty little heads which are solid coloured, it makes them look more refined ;)

Nannon

Visit site
She's looking awesome! Massive improvement :)
Was thinking we would see you at holme lacy but now it's been rained off I'm going to kings on the 9th - my boy hasn't been out since start of December :/ eeek!