First day and horse kicked

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Horses get stressed just as new owners do. It happens. My Connie turned from the perfect gent on viewing to a piranha when he arrived. It was stress and I was terrified at what I’d bought but needn’t have worried. 6 years on he’s the perfect pony so give Jet some time to relax, get to know you and settle in. He’s a lovely looking lad.

sausagedogqueen

Visit site
I think everything you've said has already been covered by previous posters but in a far more diplomatic and encouraging but instructive way. Was there any need to say it all over again but in a discouraging, critical and borderline rude manner? I am sure from OP's further comments and general response she has got the message loud and clear.?

good luck with Jet sausagedogqueen, he is a beauty!?
Thank you, appreciated. The other poster was fair enough in their comments, I dont mind. I've become desensitised to these things. I needed to post this thread after today to get other peoples opinions, perspective and advice and I'm glad I did as I know its not his fault and to focus more on routine and settling and less anthropomorphising (a new word I've now learnt lol)

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
I won't go over much of what others have said, but as someone who also has hairy cobs I will say 99% of them turn up with feather mites and/or mallenders/sallenders. This makes their legs sore and they can be extra sensitive about them as a consequence, which can make handling them tough at first.

Arzada

Visit site
I won't go over much of what others have said, but as someone who also has hairy cobs I will say 99% of them turn up with feather mites and/or mallenders/sallenders. This makes their legs sore and they can be extra sensitive about them as a consequence, which can make handling them tough at first.
Go easy like others have advised. I agree with paddy555 - forget the grooming and the feet. When you're ready to handle his back legs again please wear a hat. The kindest horse with mites or whatever can try so hard to cooperate until it is too much. In decades I have worn a hat for handling only one horse and it was while trying to treat the legs of a hairy cob who was just the loveliest lad. He just couldn't help kicking back (not out or at me) much as he tried. I took it very slowly like one leg one day, another leg another day etc. It did get easier. As it happens never in a stable because there wasn't one. I don't think I would have tried in a stable. It was a private yard and he stood ground tied but never left me. Your Jet looks like a lovely lad too.

Highmileagecob

Visit site
It might also be worth taking on board that cobs tend to co-operate with you if it suits them, you are never 100% in charge. They have a strong independent streak and you need to lay down basic ground rules right from day one. No barging - owner goes through a doorway first, cob second. Hoof picking - cobs think it is funny to stand firmly with all four feet planted, watching you try to lift a foot. Taking advantage of a novice rider, not listening to aids, turning round and coming home with said rider (usually in tears). Food is a big issue, and a cob is like a labrador - they will do anything for food, and quite a few of them are very protective of their food source.
They are very aware of their strength, and will quickly take advantage if they can. Having said all that, they are also fun, loyal, have a good sense of self preservation and dare I say it - a sense of humour! Once you have made friends and bonded, he will be your best friend. Good luck, I hope the coming weeks go better.

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
With a new horse I never do anything like that for the first couple of days, walks in hand and plenty of turnout. I try never groom in a stable either and certainly never pick out feet in a small space, not that BB has ever shown any signs of a kick, but I take him outside because your in a very confined space in a stable if anything did happen. Hopefully this is a one off for you OP,😬and he is very handsome 🥰

sausagedogqueen

Visit site
Thanks all. Little update, yesterday i went down to muck out his stable and turned him out into a paddock. I could tell he wasnt keen on being out his stable and was keen to be brought back in.
We are going to start working on some ground manners, he is not bolshy or anything nasty. But currently doesnt have much respect and either wants to be in my space or tries to walk ahead when leading him. He doesnt know me yet so I know he's trying it on. Hoping we can iron this out fairly soon. Does anyone have any recommendations how soon to get riding him out?
Oh also some people on the comments mentioned turning him out to allow him to settle. The field is really churning up at the moment and none of the others are being turned out as apparently they all stand at the gate wanting to come in. We have a horse walker on site if anyone thinks thats worth giving a shot. He previously worked in a trekking centre, so i am conscious he is used to a decent level of work and although he is still settling I dont want to leave for too long. Sorry if i am going off on a tangent with this thread lol!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Thanks all. Little update, yesterday i went down to muck out his stable and turned him out into a paddock. I could tell he wasnt keen on being out his stable and was keen to be brought back in.
We are going to start working on some ground manners, he is not bolshy or anything nasty. But currently doesnt have much respect and either wants to be in my space or tries to walk ahead when leading him. He doesnt know me yet so I know he's trying it on. Hoping we can iron this out fairly soon. Does anyone have any recommendations how soon to get riding him out?
Oh also some people on the comments mentioned turning him out to allow him to settle. The field is really churning up at the moment and none of the others are being turned out as apparently they all stand at the gate wanting to come in. We have a horse walker on site if anyone thinks thats worth giving a shot. He previously worked in a trekking centre, so i am conscious he is used to a decent level of work and although he is still settling I dont want to leave for too long. Sorry if i am going off on a tangent with this thread lol!

I always ride new horses straight away, but not anything too complicated, just kind of 'getting to know you' stuff and pushing the buttons to make sure they work. If your turn out is rubbish, then most definitely yes to using the walker - as much exercise as possible, especially if he's coming from a working home.

jnb

Visit site
It doesn't sound ideal to be honest, the more turnout he can have the better if not being worked currently, please don;t give him any hard feed (or only a handful of chaff/fast fibre) as without any work and being used to a lot of work and turnout, it is asking for trouble.
I am not a fan of walkers as a replacement for work or turnout to be honest - bad for joints and minds (hamster on a wheel ) unless they're the huge oval shaped ones. Can you get him somewhere where he'd get at least 8 hours proper turnout with company?

The standing at the gate wanting to come in, is a conditioned response - they get fed when they come in...can he have some hay out there or a treat ball to occupy him outside?

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
The standing at the gate wanting to come in, is a conditioned response - they get fed when they come in...can he have some hay out there or a treat ball to occupy him outside?

No, it's because they want to come in. Being out in a muddy field is not every horse's idea of a great time, and if horses want to come in, they should come in.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I always ride straight away too, but tbh I did not suggest that because that really needs a confident rider who will not overreact to napping, freshness or any other unsettled behaviour etc. The last thing you need is another setback. But the trekking centre info adds a complication because that is far, far more work than the average leisure horse gets and they can also be a bit dependent on routine and other horses. One day is very like ever other day, and they are always in a line, with their buddues, riding the same routes day after day.

If you are less confident as a first time owner, I'd see if someone else will ride him out for you for a few days. He definitely needs riding if he is not getting much turn out. With the walker as the last resort, really.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
No, it's because they want to come in. Being out in a muddy field is not every horse's idea of a great time, and if horses want to come in, they should come in.

I agree! Mine are sick of the field by lunchtime and gallop over if anyone goes near it, neighing at us to gat 'hey don;t forget me'. They have hay in the field and are not fed till the evening but tend to come in when they tell us they have had enough.

sausagedogqueen

Visit site
Thanks everyone. About to go down the to yard now to do my jobs so will try turn him out in the field first if theres any buddies in there for him (doubtful!) Otherwise itll have to be the turnout pen again. We have a school so il take him in there afterwards and lunge him.
I plan to ride this weekend and thought a hacking buddy would be good to start with. He does hack on his own but as its a completely new area think another hacker will help.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Thanks everyone. About to go down the to yard now to do my jobs so will try turn him out in the field first if theres any buddies in there for him (doubtful!) Otherwise itll have to be the turnout pen again. We have a school so il take him in there afterwards and lunge him.
I plan to ride this weekend and thought a hacking buddy would be good to start with. He does hack on his own but as its a completely new area think another hacker will help.

Do the staff that do him first thing say how his demeanour is when seeing the other horses turned out?

sausagedogqueen

Visit site
Do the staff that do him first thing say how his demeanour is when seeing the other horses turned out?
As far as I am aware, none of the horses are being turned out due all of them standing at the gate to come back in so owners are keeping them stalled and the horse walker is always in use

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I always let a new horse settle into the new routine and begin to get to know new companions before riding. But we don't have a school, so all our riding is hacking, or summer field schooling (not possible here currently). I definitely recommend hacking with a buddy for the first time.
Ime horses that are brought in as soon as they make a fuss learn to make a fuss to get fed. Ours have a routine and stick to it.

Zoeypxo

Visit site
did he have regular turnout before you purchased him?

if there is little to no turnout he will need riding/excersize/hand grazing/walker everyday ideally twice a day

i worked at a riding school and if we sold a horse they did often struggle to settle into a lower activity lifestyle, we had a few generally quiet ones sent back as they just could not cope with being ridden once a week and limited turnout

Pinkvboots

Visit site

The yard doesn't sound suitable for him for a pony that has been used to doing a fair amount of work to then be in a stable for most of the time doing nothing is a recipe for disaster.

I would turn out out if your allowed it's only mud and get him doing something find another livery with a quiet horse that is willing to hack with you.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
So thankfully when i turned up, another owner was waiting to turn her youngster out. Yay!
Jet is now turned out with a friend so I'm happy and he was much better behaved leading him out. This is the bottom of the field which is fine, the top was a mess but the boys didnt care.

Horses really don't care about mud, or wet, so long as they can find something to eat. It will be better for both if them to be out.

Landcruiser

Visit site
I'm a bit worried that he'll be being turned out with different horses and will have to keep establishing pecking order. This is a horse from a stable environment and companions and lots of work and suddenly everything has changed and he doesn't know if he's coming or going. The livery doesn't sound ideal unless you can team up with someone to coordinate turnout. I'd want to get him in work asap too, even if it's only hand walking.
With regards to the hind legs and lifting them, you'll just need to take it steady and keep yourself safe. If he shows signs of kicking when you try to lift (tie up short or have someone experienced hold him), then take a step back and do desensitization and I'd also use a loop of rope round the fetlock (loop not noose) to lift initially. My youngster kicked liken a bugger when she arrived and it took me quite a while to have her lifting her hinds nicely. The other day someone else lifted one of her hinds and she attempted to kick - which she hasn't done with me for months. (She's recently moved to a new place, like your pony). Keep your 8 yr old out of the way unless very closely supervised- she and you have learned a tough lesson, but it could have been very much worse.

Jules111

Visit site
I'm another fan of maximum turn out, particularly for a cob. Standing around all day with food handed to them is not helpful to keep the sane or healthy. It really is an extreme change of lifestyle to go from a trecking centre lifestyle to a lifestyle of little movement. He will probably be fitter than most leisure ponies so standing in a stable for 20+ hours will likely mean he's full of himself when you do turn him out or try to work him. Could you try to pair up with another livery, share turn out or bring in duties so you can get him more time out? He'll adapt faster if he has a regular turn out pal.

sausagedogqueen

Visit site
Thanks again to everyone for their sound advice, its really helped me work through the past few days! So Jet has been on the walker a couple of times on some of the days I've gone to muck out, hes also been turned out a couple of times and I really feel like hes almost fully settled. He is an absolute gent on the ground, respects my space and is just a big softie. Today for the first time he willingly picked up his back feet for me, no issues. *touch wood*
We have also hacked out alone and despite napping a couple of times he was really good. We even passed a couple of dogs that were unleashed and were following and sniffing his back legs to which the owner did absolutely nothing and Jet took it all in his stride. Feeling so much better about everything now. He is back out in the field again tomorrow and think hes adjusted quite well to his new (albeit very different) routine.