First day and horse kicked

Backtoblack

Visit site
Glad your daughter is ok. Poor horse,new place new people, only looking after itself, they are not machines put it down to experience. You sound very novicey, grooming for an hour is a long time ,new place and people and the traveling away from it's friends a lot for it to put up with.

sausagedogqueen

Visit site
Glad your daughter is ok. Poor horse,new place new people, only looking after itself, they are not machines put it down to experience. You sound very novicey, grooming for an hour is a long time ,new place and people and the traveling away from it's friends a lot for it to put up with.
I do class myself as a novice. I have had horses before but we are talking 8 years ago. I've occasionally ridden now and then in that time but only recently wanted to get back in the saddle properly. I've not actually had issues in the past with new horses feeling unsettled in a new yards (and they were your typical welsh ponies too), so this was a learning experience for me.. when shopping for my new horse I'd also read so many horror stories of horses being bought from dealers and then arriving on their new yard dangerous and all sorts of other behavioural issues so I did get in my own head a bit with all the worry. Anyway, I am feeling confident now my lad is the same horse I viewed and am looking forward to a long and happy ownership of him.

Visit site
Just a thought, when you viewed him did you try and pick his feet out in a stable or out of it in the yard? Some horses can be grumpy and dominant in the stable but are more relaxed tied up outside as they feel less threatened. Also, it sounds like he might be food aggressive so I’d give him
Time to settle with ad-lib hay so he realises it’s not going to be taken away and he won’t go hungry and that should pass. Was there another horse in the stable next to him when he kicked? Could it have been him interacting with the other horse that caused it?

sausagedogqueen

Visit site
Just a thought, when you viewed him did you try and pick his feet out in a stable or out of it in the yard? Some horses can be grumpy and dominant in the stable but are more relaxed tied up outside as they feel less threatened. Also, it sounds like he might be food aggressive so I’d give him
Time to settle with ad-lib hay so he realises it’s not going to be taken away and he won’t go hungry and that should pass. Was there another horse in the stable next to him when he kicked? Could it have been him interacting with the other horse that caused it?
I picked his feet out in the stable when i viewed him. He was eating his haynet at the time. The situation was identical when he came to my yard. In the stable with his haynet so I can only put it down to it being a new place with new people I think. His neighbouring horses are no bother and there was no interaction. He is definitely food obsessed. Without his haynet, he is very fidgety ie when tacking up or being clipped. We have the farrier coming tomorrow. I dont really want to use a haynet but I have a feeling hes gonna be impatient and fidgetty for him

baran

Visit site
Thank you for this advice, on reflection I see it may have just been too much fussing for him.

Glad things are turning out OK but do try and be aware that some horses tolerate rather than enjoy being groomed. We have had two, perfectly well mannered and easy to handle, but preferred grooming to be kept to a minimum. Neither were thin-skinned, it was just their personality.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I picked his feet out in the stable when i viewed him. He was eating his haynet at the time. The situation was identical when he came to my yard. In the stable with his haynet so I can only put it down to it being a new place with new people I think. His neighbouring horses are no bother and there was no interaction. He is definitely food obsessed. Without his haynet, he is very fidgety ie when tacking up or being clipped. We have the farrier coming tomorrow. I dont really want to use a haynet but I have a feeling hes gonna be impatient and fidgetty for him

There is nothing wrong with giving a horse a haynet while tied up if it keeps them quiet.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
There is if it won't stay at peace unless it has one. What happens if you need to tie the horse somewhere and don't happen to have a haynet?

Then you tell it to damn well stand! 😊 I have no problem with giving a horse a haynet while standing being groomed or whatever, but if necessary it also has to stand without a hay net when told.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
There is nothing wrong with giving a horse a haynet while tied up if it keeps them quiet.

You can work on that after the farrier's visit but i would give him a haynet if it helps him to stand quietly for the farrier. Be aware though, that pulling at the net might make him move too much for the farrier's liking.

FireCracker238

Visit site
How did it go with the farrier?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Glad things are turning out OK but do try and be aware that some horses tolerate rather than enjoy being groomed. We have had two, perfectly well mannered and easy to handle, but preferred grooming to be kept to a minimum. Neither were thin-skinned, it was just their personality.

I don’t tie my horses up to groom them. My current one, who cuddles up for kisses even when I'm trying to turn him out, makes it perfectly clear that scraping the mud off with a shedding blade is a much as he will tolerate grooming wise.