First day of receiving a new horse

Primmula

Visit site
What would/do you do on the first day of receiving a horse that has been transported to you from around 3 to 4 hours away? Would you turn out or stable to let them settle and recover from the journey? Or do you go straight to work and establish routine?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
That depends if the horse is fit and used to travelling. If it isn't it could well be exhausted.
This is a good point,both my last pickups arrived after an hour or 2 sweaty and stressy having not been on a box for a good while previously ? I drove them both so I know what their journey was like :p

Scarlett

Visit site
If the horse has been getting worked, and has been bought as a riding horse, then I would do something, probably just a lunge but in an older, established horse I'd maybe ride.

In an ideal world for me they would arrive, get some safe t/o and then some time in the arena.

The idea that they arrive and get several days to settle in by doing nothing doesn't benefit all horses. If I want them to get a week or two off I prefer to have them arrive, work them for 2-3 weeks until they have a new routine and are settled then give them time off. I've done just that with my new one and he's settled in brilliantly in that routine and is now ready to work.

MissTyc

Visit site
Totally depends on what the horse is used to.
For many, a 3-4 hour drive is the distance to a showground, so they'd be fine to hit the ground running and just start their new routine as you mean to go on.
When I picked up a skinny TB, however, a 2 hour drive nearly knocked her flat. She was used to being stabled so we popped her in a stable for a few hours on a deep bed with good quality hay and clean water, then turned her out to stretch her legs before bed time. That one we eased into her new routine gradually, but of course she was too thin to be ridden anyway so different story!

Reactions: PSD

AFB

Visit site
I'd get straight in to their normal routine personally so stable/TO depending.

I wouldn't ride on the day they arrived as like to give them a bit of time to find their feet. Then I've been the same when I've moved my current horse who I know inside out. Perhaps I'm too soft!

AandK

Visit site
I put my new boy straight out in the field when I got him in March last year. I had intended to sit on him the next day, but he pulled a shoe so that didn't happen!

NinjaPony

Visit site
I've always tended to stable for a couple of hours with hay so they can rest, then out in the field. Ride the next day as normal.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Turnout on its own but right beside others as I prefer new ones to "meet" over the fence first (by fence I mean a single line of electric tape which isnt usually on so they can get close but no risk of them hurting themselves putting hooves through a wire fence etc. Once things have calmed down after a couple days then I'll put them in together (my herd is only usually 2-3). Id normally lunge the next day so they can blow off a bit of steam.

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
Great thread and very relevant to me as well. I plan to bring horse home and turn out for a few hours and then lunge or ride in the afternoon/ early evening ... the riding may change as with the best will and padding in the world i dont think my saddle will fit as too wide!
With a horse i brought a few years back when on livery i was told to tack up and get on as he got off the lorry (I wanted to give him a a few days to settle and was told in no uncertain terms that was not acceptable, lol!) and we ended up sheep herding on the drive with escaped sheep, was great fun and glad i got straight on. Second horse i brought i turned out for the day and sat on her the next day, i think we went hacking with a friend!

I'm all for getting on within the day or at least second day if they are ridden, established horses. You wouldnt go to a show and let them settle a few days before getting on so onward and upward i say.

IrishMilo

Visit site
3-4 hours isn't a huge amount of time to travel (unless they're not used to it) but I also don't think there's any value in riding straight away after that long in a box if not to compete. I'd turn them out to chill and ride/get into the normal routine the next day.

PSD

Visit site
I think it depends on the yard routine too. I have been on yards that quarantine horses before allowing them in the arena or out with the herd. I bought a fell filly just before lockdown (only coming from half an hour away)and she will hopefully arrive in June when things are relaxed (I hope) and she will probably spend a bit of time in the stable then go out in the winter paddock with a friends mare for a good few hours, I’ll probably do that for a couple of days before throwing her in the big field so she has at least one familiar horse in the bigger herd - those mares are like hungry lions in summer if a newbie turns up to spoil their peace, especially a youngster lol

Leandy

Visit site
I would do whatever it was used to in its normal routine. If that is different from mine and I'm planning to change its routine, I would do that gradually over the first week or so. On riding it, assuming it is previously in work, I'd see how settled it is. No point in getting on a strange horse which is clearly stressed and on high alert, let it settle for a couple of days first, but if it is being sensible I'd crack on as normal.

JoannaC

Visit site
My mare travelled six hours ish from Cornwall so I put her straight out in a paddock on her own where she could see the others out in the field. They all came in that night then put her out with my old boy the next day and rode the day after that. She is a very chilled person and just fitted in straight away.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
What would/do you do on the first day of receiving a horse that has been transported to you from around 3 to 4 hours away? Would you turn out or stable to let them settle and recover from the journey? Or do you go straight to work and establish routine?
pout them out, let them de stress and recover from journey and get used to surroundings. I never ride straight away, my mare is a stress head, so better to let her settle/ It was the best thing for her.

SOS

Visit site
If an established horse and travelled well, I’d pop it in a stable, inevitably take a few photos, tack up and lightly ride then leave in for a few hours before turning out. I imagine for many horses arriving somewhere, a little tired and being chucked out in a field surrounded by unknown animals could be a bit overwhelming/anxious and I’d worry the horse wouldn’t eat or drink. I’d give it a few hours to settle in a box and more importantly eat and drink.

honetpot

Visit site
I bought a horse from a friend and had known him for at least five years, loaded him,travelled him to shows etc, and when I got him realised I didn't really know him at all. He had been in a settled routine and to be the horse I knew he had to adapt to a new routine. Anything I buy is allowed turned out with an old pony and then started in a routine, and treated as if its just been backed, this saves a nasty surprise.

Dusty 123

Visit site
I keep it in the stable and I turn out the next day . To be honest I think it’s the safest way since a horse in a new place and could be very nervous.