First Ever Go - Intro B - any tips?

Kungfoo-hamster

Visit site
I'm going to give this stressage lark a go and have booked my slot at Intro B in a couple of weeks. Does anyone have any hints/tips or tricks to help me get the most out of it/score more than 40%....

nikicb

www.facebook.com
One of the things I try to do is know my test inside out, back to front and upside down. That way you can really think about how you are riding it rather than just where you are going. Good luck! And don't forget to let us know how you get on. :) x

Kungfoo-hamster

Visit site
Thanks - I'm running through it over and over in my head, so hopefully will remember it on the day. Just need to conquer the nerves and concentrate on keeping relaxed and confident :)

3Beasties

Visit site
Remember to breathe and just enjoy it!

I took the plunge late last year and did my first ever dressage comp (and first comp in general!) and I haven't looked back! :)

Kikke

Visit site
At that level the most important thing that you can do is be accurate. flash and paces etc will not score you points really.

But most important enjoy and breathe!

Cowpony

Visit site
Make sure you are accurate with your turns and transitions, ride into the corners and make your circles a nice shape and the correct size. Sounds easy but it isn't!

Mrs C

Visit site
As above, concentrate on rhythm and accuracy - don't worry about frame or anything like that - just in front of the leg, into the corners, bang on your markers. Good luck! And have someone read if you can so you can concentrate on the movements x

LittleGinger

Visit site
There are a few tips in this article I wrote. http://www.shoestringeventing.co.uk/page78.html. The main thing though is enjoy it :)

What a great article - thanks for posting :)

OP - good luck! Like others have said, know your test (helps relieve nerves, means you can concentrate on yourself/being confident for your horse), ride accurately and enjoy yourself. And post a report/pics on here afterwards :)

Chirmapops

Visit site
They'll only be looking for the very start of the scales of training, so that's rhythm and relaxation. If I remember Intro B correctly it's got a mix of turns across the centre and half circles hasn't it? So make sure your turns are turns (marker to marker and stright in between) and your circles are circular - not squares! Good luck!

Elbie

Visit site
I would say, if you can get someone to call the test out for you. I find it helps a lot when you don't have to panic about remembering the test!

I learn my tests inside out but like to have somone call as a 'security blanket'. I don't really listen to them but think it's psychological that I know someone is there calling it out so I can concentrate on riding. The couple of times I rode without a caller I had a bit of a breakdown panicing about remembering where I was going (even though I did know!) and forgot how to ride. I can do it perfectly well when doing Dressage Anywhere comps!

Sol

Visit site
My big one to remember is 'use your legs!' - I'm terrible for focusing on the shapes but not really using my body effectively, especially my left leg. So we get the turns etc, but lose the power.
I go the other way & refuse to have my tests called because it distracts me & I end up focusing on listening to the person (because they HAVE to call the movement in advance of you starting it, so it's pointless to only tune in at the end of the previous movement and go 'hmm, now what!?' as otherwise you'd have to stop constantly... and this makes me ride worse because I don't have much brain power to begin with ;)

I'd never ridden a WT test until Dec, & was amazed that they're actually trickier than some of the prelims! Quite nice to ride though really :) Good luck!

Kungfoo-hamster

Visit site
Thank you everyone - I promised to report and I DID IT! We did really well, although I don't remember most of the test itself - but I am delighted with the result and lots to work on (if I am brave enough to give it another go some time!)

I got a fab score of 68.2 (thanks for all the tips - not sure how many I remembered when I went in there, brain freeze I think) which won the class - I am delighted, although a little over-awed at the prospect of attempting to repeat this, might have to retire gracefully with one class under my belt. So pleased to have my very first red rosette on my fabulous share pony!

MasterDressage

New User
Visit site
Thank you everyone - I promised to report and I DID IT! We did really well, although I don't remember most of the test itself - but I am delighted with the result and lots to work on (if I am brave enough to give it another go some time!)

I got a fab score of 68.2 (thanks for all the tips - not sure how many I remembered when I went in there, brain freeze I think) which won the class - I am delighted, although a little over-awed at the prospect of attempting to repeat this, might have to retire gracefully with one class under my belt. So pleased to have my very first red rosette on my fabulous share pony!

Well done you!

mudmonkey17

Visit site

Brilliant result well done :)

Hope you dont mind if i ask a question? I am taking my horse to do both intros this week as she has been off with injury we are starting back slowly.

I have ridden a before but not b. On the 20 meter circle do you give a loose rein for the entire circle or just part of it?

PolarSkye

Visit site
Yay - very well done :). That's an impressive score for first time out . . . looking forward to hearing many more super updates like this :).

P

Kungfoo-hamster

Visit site
Brilliant result well done :)

Hope you dont mind if i ask a question? I am taking my horse to do both intros this week as she has been off with injury we are starting back slowly.

I have ridden a before but not b. On the 20 meter circle do you give a loose rein for the entire circle or just part of it?

I think I started to allow the loose rein after starting the circle at A but once we had started to turn into the circle, so that we didn't head off down the long side instead but had a bend already, and then gathered him up before getting back to A - but he was on a loose rein for most of the circle - BUT I am by no means an expert (grand total of 1 time - LOL) and others may be able to advise you better xxx

nikicb

www.facebook.com

What an amazing debut! A massive well done. :)

P.S. next time, don't forget the pictures. ;) :)

Kungfoo-hamster

Visit site
One question: Does winning mean I can't have another go at Intro? I thought it would be better to have a couple more goes at the lowest level before I tried a prelim for the experience, but someone said winning the class means I can't do that?