Fit for riding - do you do anything (apart from riding of course??)

SueAllen

Visit site
Working hard to get my horse fit but realise that I need to put a bit of extra effort into myself!! Getting on a bit (compared to lots of you on here anyway!!) and contemplating yoga and/or Pilates for suppleness, core strength blah blah (yawn!) Do any of you find this helpful or maybe gym work, swimming, running for stamina, muscle development? Frankly I have an allergic reaction to any formal exercise but would be v interested to find out if any of you do something that you think really helps with your riding. Thank you!

Tinkerbee

Visit site
blush.gif
The only other exercise i get is walking the dogs, and walking up and down our hill to school bus stop and to the stables
crazy.gif

bex1984

Visit site
I have loads of physio exercises that I'm supposed to do for core strength because I've slipped a disc, but I don't always find time to do them...

Other than that I really don't do much exercise but I often walk to work which is 2.5 miles. Physiotherapist says I'm not allowed to sit on the sofa, and when I get home from work and the stables I'm supposed to go for a half hour brisk walk!!!

Sparklet

Visit site
I do pilates every week and the instructor knows I do dressage so takes that into account when doing her sessions. It helps with core stability which is essential for any type of riding, helps with balance which in turn helps with straightness for horse and rider.

daydreamer

Visit site
I do yoga and I do think it helps, I am working at opening my hips at the moment which should help my riding a lot. It probably depends which type of yoga you do though, it is always worth trying a couple of different teachers until you find one you like.

I don't like exercising much but find I am much more likely to do some if I go to an organised class. If I have a set time/venue I sort of mentally put it in my schedule and actually go rather than thinking "ohhh I am too busy to go for a run/go to the gym etc". Also a lot of the classes are actually fun and the instructors are usually good at motivating you.

Partoow

Visit site
Apart from riding 6 to 8 a day i run, good for aerobic workout and i use a 'fit ball' good for the suppleness and working both sides of the body. Also do Alexander technique work, on and offf the horse.

Sali

Visit site
I exercise quite a bit(although you honestly couldn't tell!)
I've just started with pilates, I go swimming and hiking once a week and go jogging every morning.
I also have to dogs to walk daily. I want to try and do more, but I struggle to find the time as it is.

LindaS

Visit site
My partner and I have started Ballroom Dancing a few month ago. We go to classes twice a week, two hours each time. It is harder than gym exercises but much more fun and you meet nice people as well. I can highly recommend it. For dancing you use the whole body. It does wonders for your posture.
Regards
Linda

sikaran

Visit site
As well as riding three and walking dogs, I go to the gym to run on the treadmill, and I also do a lot of martial arts - about 4-6 hours per week. I find this very good for fitness but also for balance and reaction time. It is also good therapy!
smile.gif

seansheep

Visit site
I've heard a lot about pilates being good mix with riding fitness

i do no exercise apart from riding and mucking out lots of boxes and doing lots of sweeping !!

I'd recommend dancing (line, ballroom, whatever) as a good way of exercising actually quite hard and yet not being stuck in a gym - I was a dancer years ago and it definitely helped with suppleness and joint mobility which stillhelps my dressage

_jetset_

Visit site
I just walk my dog, but there are a few hills etc to go up (although I prefer the ones coming down
laugh.gif
).

I am hoping to start doing some salsa lessons too...

Oaksflight

Visit site
Used to play hockey, tennis, go the gym, and go running before I went to uni. Now I'm at uni, I go to the gym and swim but have put on loads of weight from alcohol
frown.gif
Really struggle after 45 mins of a lesson to get the horse to carry on going well (he's VERY hard work), due to my lack of fitness, so definately got to improve. On a detox now to try lose some of the weight, and have started jogging again when I have time. I think rider fitness is really important, far more important than people realise.

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
I cycle to the yard and back every day (2 miles) and go running once or twice a week. I have one of those dance mats which are really good for keeping fit as you can work quite hard on them, go on that for about 2hrs a week. I find all this gives me lots of stamina and good core strength, but then I also work full time at a yard and ride for 2-3hrs a day so this all helps too!