Fleas

Visit site
I have an outbreak of dog fleas! Have sprayed the house and deflead the dog 2 weeks ago and I have just seen one, not on the dog. Where there is one there are others!
Anyone got tips on the best flea killer. I use Indorex for the house, vet gave me a combined flea and wormer, but Im not sure about using that too often, because of the wormer.

Visit site
Nexguard is what the vet gave me, but I was a bit worried about using it every month as it worms as well.
Its the house ones that will be the problem isnt it ,getting all the future buggers!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Nexguard is what the vet gave me, but I was a bit worried about using it every month as it worms as well.
Its the house ones that will be the problem isnt it ,getting all the future buggers!

I use Nexgaurd. It doesn’t worm (unless there are two varieties?)

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
It's the house you need to treat. I've just nearly suffocated myself spraying upstairs. I'm sick of being bitten. Dogs have had Bravecto, which kills any fleas that bite the digs. I hope we don't send Milo home (Wednesday) with fleas!

meleeka

Visit site

It’s designed to be used monthly and tbh I’d rather risk it than have fleas in my house!

Highmileagecob

Visit site
Fleas do not breed on the animal, they feed on blood, hop off, lay eggs in bedding, carpets, rugs etc., and hop back on for the next meal. The eggs hatch when the humidity and temperature are right, and where there is vibration, as that indicates there will be passing animals to feed on.
I suspect you are seeing hatchlings that the Indorex has missed, or your dog is picking up fleas from outside. Blast soft furnishings, carpets, under the skirting boards with Indorex, bath the dog in a flea shampoo, and vacuum daily for ten days or so to remove eggs.
Indorex prevents eggs from hatching for eighteen months or so, but removing the eggs is key. Good luck.

misst

Visit site
I use nexguard on the dogs and don't usually have a problem but last month had all carpets downstairs replaced with hard flooring. Next thing I knew I had 24 bites! I think we disturbed any nesting ones. I have sprayed with Staykill x 2 and it has worked - no more bites. Will do again next month.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I whinged about my skin being awful since I put on suntan lotion. I’m horrified to have noticed 7 tiny holes next to my mouth where there is some crazy inflammation. Flea bites. Horrifying. The pharmacy at Asda had sold out of anything useful, so I was told. Lots of empty shelves, no idea if this is normal for the time of night.

Visit site
I use nexguard on the dogs and don't usually have a problem but last month had all carpets downstairs replaced with hard flooring. Next thing I knew I had 24 bites! I think we disturbed any nesting ones. I have sprayed with Staykill x 2 and it has worked - no more bites. Will do again next month.

Im having my carpets replaced soon, was rather anticipating the little bu**ers being a bit cross !

misst

Visit site
PL it is fine now but I am pretty sure it was the trigger for a mass migration of the fleas LoL

Highmileagecob

Visit site
PL it is fine now but I am pretty sure it was the trigger for a mass migration of the fleas LoL

Flea eggs only hatch if there is a level of vibration to link with the temperature and humidity, so constant footfall, vacuum cleaner, disturbing carpets etc. all send the 'message' that there is movement and therefore a likely food supply. One of the worst scenarios is moving into a pet owning house that has been empty for a while then switching on the heating and furniture moving. Flea explosion!

Visit site
I still appear to have a flea problem. Ive done the house spraying, dog de fleaing and vacuumed several times but Ive got small itchy bites!
House spray supposed to last for months. Do I need to burn house down now ?

Antw23uk

Visit site
We have suffered this year with fleas for the first time in I don't know how long! I need to buy some more cans of RIP Fleas Extra which i combine with a weeks daily hovering/ mopping and obviously treating the animals :(

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I’m getting the occasional bite. I think the trick is to go crazy with the spray, close the room up for an hour, vacuum. Repeat as necessary. I had a squadron of mosquitoes harassing me in the bedroom the other night, I sprayed the barstewards but then choked on the amount of spray so had to swap rooms!

asmp

Visit site
My cat seems to be covered too. Must be the time of year ?. I’ve treated her and comb her regularly and am getting loads off her. Her jabs are due at this time of year and I always seem to take her to the vets looking very scabby.

Antw23uk

Visit site
My cat seems to be covered too. Must be the time of year ?. I’ve treated her and comb her regularly and am getting loads off her. Her jabs are due at this time of year and I always seem to take her to the vets looking very scabby.

My old cat looks like a welfare case at the moment, this heat does nothing for him! I dont know whats worse, him staggering about in pain with his back end/ legs or staggering around high as a kite on pain relief. Poor little bud, he looks like he's been dragged through a hedge backwards, lol!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I still appear to have a flea problem. Ive done the house spraying, dog de fleaing and vacuumed several times but Ive got small itchy bites!

Are you sure it’s not bed bugs?
Have you treated the furniture?

Books'n'dogs

Visit site
Have you tried using essential oils? I know some people really dislike the way essential oils smell/don't think they will work but I remember one year almost all my American pet owning friends and acquaintances were suffering terribly from flea infestations, the only dog owners I spoke to who weren't having an issue were those who sprayed their dogs and homes with pet friendly essential oil blends. I stopped using conventional flea deterrents in 2008 and haven't had an issue with fleas since (knock on wood!).

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
my dogs have had an outbreak of fleas this year , first time in over 12 years but this time is much worse. dogs have been treated for the last couple of months, house has been well and truly sprayed, all the nooks and crannies done. i only have carpet upstairs and did that really well, so i think i am winning BUT i met an old couple over the weekend with 2 labs who were off lead and said hello to mine, all fine i thought until he told me the wet marks down their backs were flea treatment which he does every month but they still have fleas!!! i asked if he sprayed the house and he said no, i do their beds and the stuff doesnt work. i felt obliged to explain what he should be doing and he said there is no way i can spray the whole house we have 7 bedrooms...i did try but he was adamant that he couldnt do the whole house....so i felt i needed to do my dogs immediately i got home , it was a month since they had been done so i was ok timewise and for good measure the next morning put them all in the car and sprayed the whole house again. and took the dogs for a walk to keep them out of the house for an hour......if i see him and his wife again i will go the other way very quickly!!

confusedmum

Visit site
my dogs have had an outbreak of fleas this year , first time in over 12 years but this time is much worse. dogs have been treated for the last couple of months, house has been well and truly sprayed, all the nooks and crannies done. i only have carpet upstairs and did that really well, so i think i am winning BUT i met an old couple over the weekend with 2 labs who were off lead and said hello to mine, all fine i thought until he told me the wet marks down their backs were flea treatment which he does every month but they still have fleas!!! i asked if he sprayed the house and he said no, i do their beds and the stuff doesnt work. i felt obliged to explain what he should be doing and he said there is no way i can spray the whole house we have 7 bedrooms...i did try but he was adamant that he couldnt do the whole house....so i felt i needed to do my dogs immediately i got home , it was a month since they had been done so i was ok timewise and for good measure the next morning put them all in the car and sprayed the whole house again. and took the dogs for a walk to keep them out of the house for an hour......if i see him and his wife again i will go the other way very quickly!!

I’m glad I’m not alone I’ve had dogs for 40 years and never had fleas like this !! Just bombed the house for 2nd time in a month washed all the loose covers /bedding ( again ) hoovered absolutely everywhere and sprayed !! I was paranoid it was just me getting it wrong with flea treatment they are frontlined so I changed to advantage and use 4 fleas and I still can’t get rid of them !