'Flu case in Central Scotland

Visit site
It seems to be one that has just been bought in from elsewhere, not showing any syptoms but was tested as a precaution. So it did not originate in Central Scotland according to Loch Leven vets.

Reactions: DD

EventingMum

Visit site
I have just seen a post from the person who's yard it is. Sadly the horse was being sent for schooling by it's new owner from a large, well known dealers yard. It had been vetted, strangles tested and started it's vaccinations before she agreed to take it but was noted to have a nasal discharge on arrival so was isolated and the vet called. The yard owner has locked down her yard and is being open and honest about the situation, it's obviously devastating for her and effects her livelihood and the start of her eventing season. What is more worrying is the number of horses that pass through this dealers hands which could spread the flu, I hope they act responsibility too but at present there is no indication of any action from them on social media or their website.

Last edited:

holeymoley

Visit site
EM what's your thoughts on this? A lot of yards/ riding clubs close by are cancelling training/events and any movement of horses in and out the yard. I personally feel this should be done, but waiting to hear officially from our yo.

holeymoley

Visit site
Makes me a bit nervous as i am close to very good friends of said dealers, who also deal, and are well know for being dodgy! Still no word on social media from named dealers

I doubt there will be. It would be a can of worms. Can you imagine the amount of possible lines of contamination :eek:

EventingMum

Visit site
EM what's your thoughts on this? A lot of yards/ riding clubs close by are cancelling training/events and any movement of horses in and out the yard. I personally feel this should be done, but waiting to hear officially from our yo.

Given the number of horses passing through Turlood I would be very cautious as they will be spread far and wide and many won't have been vetted/vaccinated. Personally I would be happy to see yards cancelling training and competitions for a few weeks.

I'm a bit skeptical about Kate Stewart's statement on The Herald, I assume the vet check she is referring to would be the vetting arranged by the new owner which would not have taken the horse's temperature etc and could have been a few days prior to the owner collecting the horse so there may well have not been any viable symptoms at that point. Given that the journey to Giorgia's would have only been about an hour the horse must have been ill leaving Turlood. My concern is the number of horses on this yard and what precautions are being taken there to monitor them and those have passed through recently.

I think the next few weeks will be a worrying time and I would be wary of having horses out and about.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
I am feeling very sorry for Georgia and her yard...she has been really responsible and cancelled daughters lessons with small white lie as to why which I totally get and am grateful. Unfortunately our yard has a number of horses who compete and they are off the yard regularly..even today as training sessions and competitions have not been cancelled because it’s half term.

holeymoley

Visit site
Exactly. Will you be imposing any restrictions at your yard? I believe Easterton is the closest one I'm aware of that's restricting any horses coming in and out.

EventingMum

Visit site
Exactly. Will you be imposing any restrictions at your yard? I believe Easterton is the closest one I'm aware of that's restricting any horses coming in and out.

I am warning clients about the situation as that is the biggest risk factor for us. Fortunately we don't have any horses going out and about now and the couple that do come in for lessons are kept on their owner's own premises without any contact with others so are very low risk. I will monitor the situation closely and may cancel a booking a riding club has with us next month if more cases emerge. Obviously a big yard such as the one you are on is trickier to manage. Also farriers etc pose a threat and my son, an EDT, is already being vigilant, he changes overalls and disinfects tools at each yard as a matter of course.

holeymoley

Visit site
Oh. Will have to look.

We don't have a lot coming on and off thankfully. We have a few new liveries arriving soon but thanfully not a lot of people competing at the moment. More vets and farriers constantly!

flying_high

Visit site
Is it even the same strain though? Flu (Equine and human) will be everywhere. There is nothing to say this is related specifically to the recent racehorse outbreaks.

That is why they are DNA sequencing to evidence it is the same strain. That is why the confirmations all come from AHT website once the sequencing has been done. So yes everything on the AHT list will be the same broad strain (though think flu constantly mutates a bit).

AnShanDan

Visit site
Just read the post on Turlood's fb page and something doesn't add up to me. If the horse had been there for more than a week before going to Giorgia's then it must have contracted flu in Scotland, no? Incubation is 1-5 days.

EventingMum

Visit site
According to Turlood's post the horse had been viewed twice, a week apart so, given the incubation period for 'flu it would not have been responsible for introducing it to the yard and must have contracted it while on the yard from another source. My concern is that other horses have been sold on and are now spreading the virus further afield.