FLU JABS!!

sjp1

Visit site
So am totally prepared to be shot down in flames but would like peeps opinion on flu jabs. I have always had all my horses vaccinated - always. But my appy reacted to flu jabs - ie. every flu jab we had a uveitis attack - the last he had to be put down after several months and 3k of vets bills. So with my new lad 9 years old - never been vaccinated, got him two months ago. I am super retiscent to have flu jabs done tbh. Equine flu so much more treatable than chronic bilateral uveitis which really is a case of put down or have the eyes out. I didn't think my lad would cope with eyes out as he was super spooky anyway, so had to make the awful decision to have him put down. And it seems that the horses who have come down with equine flu these last couple of months are racehorses horses that have both been vaccinated - and unvaccinated horses - not surprising. It appears to be a different strain of flu that has affected those who have had the vaccines. Speaking to a friend who trains racehorses it appears that no tests are ever done for flu for horses - when horses in racing yards are poorly and snotty - its just a virus - vets don't do tests for equine flu - ever. As I understand it, flu seems quite prevalent in a lot of racing yards - just never tested for. Thoughts?!!

TheMule

Visit site
I'm sorry to hear about your previous horse. However, you must understand that bad reactions to the flu vaccine are incredibly rare, it is a very widely used vaccine which is considered very low risk (as are all vaccines, in fact)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
unless you already know that your new horse has some kind of awful reaction to the flu vaccs then I would absolutely go ahead and vaccinate him.

One of mine gets a bit stiff for a couple of days but for me it's a no brainer. We can manage that with some quiet days in the field and a bit of bute if needed, much less risk and hassle than her coming down with flu.

If you read some of the other recent threads on the topic you'll see some well informed replies about why the vaccine is not 100% effective, but IMO it's important that we all do our bit to try and keep flu down to a minimum all the time, and vaccinating is the best way to do that. It's not a conspiracy.

sjp1

Visit site
unless you already know that your new horse has some kind of awful reaction to the flu vaccs then I would absolutely go ahead and vaccinate him.

One of mine gets a bit stiff for a couple of days but for me it's a no brainer. We can manage that with some quiet days in the field and a bit of bute if needed, much less risk and hassle than her coming down with flu.

If you read some of the other recent threads on the topic you'll see some well informed replies about why the vaccine is not 100% effective, but IMO it's important that we all do our bit to try and keep flu down to a minimum all the time, and vaccinating is the best way to do that. It's not a conspiracy.
I am not suggesting it is a conspiracy - not sure where that came from?!! From my own personal experiences every flu jab caused a uveitis issue - being a bit off I would agree is not the end of the world - however, until you have had a horse that has to be put to sleep with chronic bilateral uveitis and for whom flu jabs are the trigger I don't think you would be quite as flippant about it. I am not looking for well informed replies as to why it is good to have your horse vaccinated and do 'our bit' - I have done 'my bit' and it didn't suit my last horse at all. I am looking for more information.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I'm not being flippant, there's no need to be rude. I totally understand it caused a terrible issue for your previous horse and you must feel very sad about that.
But thousands and thousands are vaccinated without such terrible side effects. On the other hand, the effect of a mass outbreak of flu would be catastrophic. This outbreak was pretty contained and still caused a big enough headache (and one horse died of complications).

SEL

Visit site
Reactions are really rare. Has your new horse never even had tetanus?

I am pro vaccination in all horses which don't have any other underlying condition. That's what gives herd immunity and helps to protect those horses which can't be vaccinated.

Mynstrel

Visit site
I'm pro vaccinating but I understand completely how the OP feels, albeit with a different animal. I've lost 2 rabbits as a result of vaccinating so that makes me very dubious of having another one done. Its hard to know what to do for the best, you know you should but when you're main experiences are the bad ones you feel as scared and guilty for jabbing them as when you don't. You can't win and its horrible.

Shay

Visit site
Absolutely reasonable not to vaccinate your horse who reacted with a Uveitis flare up. It is to protect horses who cannot be vaccinated that everyone else needs to.

But 'flu vaccines do not cause Uveitis. Its a really complex issue. I've had 2 horses over my adult horse life time with uveitis. Neither reacted to the 'flu vaccine. We know its secondary to another issue, most commonly an auto immune disorder. Perhaps in that background it isn't surprising that the horse would react to a vaccine - although I haven't personally experienced that. But that absolutely does not mean that vaccinating a horse without an auto immune disorder will cause one. Can you imagine how many horses with auto immune disorder there would be? And what about top flight international horses vaccinated as often as every three months. Do you think that equine professionals would put high value rides like that at risk?

Totally understand that you are scared that your horrible experience would be repeated. But the odds are that it won't. I'm not sure who you have been talking to in a racing yard who suggested that flu strains are not identified for horses - that really is absolute rubbish. you only have to look at the work from AHT the last few months. This current strain has been sequenced and is covered by the majority - not all -of the equine flu vaccines currently in production. If you are worried google your vaccine batch number. Yes horses get viruses. But the financial cost of cancelling racing means that research is very well funded.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
The great thing about living in this country is that you have freedom. Freedom to do as you see fit.

My horses are vaccinated. If I had one with a bad reaction to the vaccine (over more than one vaccination) then I would not. But, personally I would still do the others.

Of course you don't have to have your horse vaccinated. IMO people would do well to be concerned about the large numbers of coloured cobs that are in real danger (other colours are available LOL).

Not vaccinating will mean that you would not be able to take your horse to a show or pretty much any competition, as well as lessons, riding club etc, plus many livery yards would also not allow you as a resident. Even a simple arena hire requires a vaccination record check at the moment around here.

But, if you intend to keep your horse at home and go hacking then that is your prerogative. Freedom of your own horse ownership.

Fransurrey

Visit site
As I understand it, appys are prone genetically to uveitis, so imagine that played a part with your old boy. Just somethingto bear in mind. I would always vaccinate for tetanus, though. Have seen the results of tetanus in an unvaccinated pony and it's horrific.