Flu Misinformation ?

Gazen

Visit site
My vet said that none of the vaccines that are currently available protect against the current strain of the influenza virus and horses that have been vaccinated with the 3 main providers have tested positive. He did say that whilst a vaccine will not protect it does limit the virulence of the virus. My horses will not be leaving the yard in the short term because there are a number of old horses here and I would not want my horse to go out, bring back the virus and pass it on to the old horses who may not be strong enough to fight it even vaccinated.

JFTDWS

Visit site
No vaccine is ever 100% effective, to be fair. There's nothing unexpected about the odd vaccinated case - it doesn't need to be perfect to be useful. People need to make sensible risk assessments based on their own circumstances, what they're hoping to achieve by leaving the yard, and the likely level of risk involved in that.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Just seen on fb posted an hour ago confirmed case in buckinghamshire but no other information
My yard is in buckinghamshire.

Just a musing really
If the racing yards hadnt have had any cases and closed down would any of these cases been reported and we have known about it?

Goldenstar

Visit site
Just seen on fb posted an hour ago confirmed case in buckinghamshire but no other information
My yard is in buckinghamshire.

Just a musing really
If the racing yards hadnt have had any cases and closed down would any of these cases been reported and we have known about it?

Of course not .

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Just a musing really
Yes.

My equine vet practice posted this on their FB page on 25 Jan, this was an early case in an unvaccinated horse before it got into racing. The info was out there for those who listen, but it was not being rammed down folk's throats as it was after it affected racing.

EQUINE INFLUENZA ALERT!

There has been a confirmed case of Equine Influenza Virus (EIV) in Cheshire in an un-vaccinated horse this month.

Any horse with a raised temperature, nasal discharge, or a cough should be examined by a veterinary surgeon. There are further reports that in France there have been cases of equine influenza virus in vaccinated horses.

The Animal Health Trust (AHT) are recommending 6 monthly boosters during this period of potential increased challenge. Geriatric and young animals are at an increased risk of infection. Foals should start vaccinations against influenza from 6 months of age.

Should you require any further advice or wish to make an appointment to see one of our veterinary surgeons, please do not hesitate to call the main practice number on 01270************.

Goldenstar

Visit site
But you are in Cheshire and so are your vets .
The profile of this outbreak is because it affected racing and closed it down .
Flu is endemic and always with us .

All those poor quarter cared for poor little mites we all see about the place are it’s hiding place .
We have too few vaccinated horses as percentage of population to really knock it back .

All mine got vaccinated yesterday all bright and happy this morning I am continuing as normal from now unless something further occurs .

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Yes.

My equine vet practice posted this on their FB page on 25 Jan, this was an early case in an unvaccinated horse before it got into racing. The info was out there for those who listen, but it was not being rammed down folk's throats as it was after it affected racing.

EQUINE INFLUENZA ALERT!

There has been a confirmed case of Equine Influenza Virus (EIV) in Cheshire in an un-vaccinated horse this month.

Any horse with a raised temperature, nasal discharge, or a cough should be examined by a veterinary surgeon. There are further reports that in France there have been cases of equine influenza virus in vaccinated horses.

The Animal Health Trust (AHT) are recommending 6 monthly boosters during this period of potential increased challenge. Geriatric and young animals are at an increased risk of infection. Foals should start vaccinations against influenza from 6 months of age.

Should you require any further advice or wish to make an appointment to see one of our veterinary surgeons, please do not hesitate to call the main practice number on 01270************.

As im not in cheshire how would i know that?

Is all cases of flu reported on?

The-Bookworm

Visit site
It's not being pushed down people's throats, it's because it closed down racing.
The volume of horses it could spread to at race meetings, the yards on return, the thousands of pounds that would be lost because of the decision - racing isn't just about horses it's an industry employing thousands of people that never even see a horse!
People can choose not to listen if they can choose to listen. But I am not in Cheshire either so how would I know about your vets.

oldie48

Visit site
But you are in Cheshire and so are your vets .
The profile of this outbreak is because it affected racing and closed it down .
Flu is endemic and always with us .

All those poor quarter cared for poor little mites we all see about the place are it’s hiding place .
We have too few vaccinated horses as percentage of population to really knock it back .

All mine got vaccinated yesterday all bright and happy this morning I am continuing as normal from now unless something further occurs .
Totally agree with this but I hope that this information being out in the public domain spurs more people on tho have their horses vaccinated as it's this that will prevent the worst epidemics. I'd had to withdraw Rose from a Quest comp because of the 7 day rule but now I know there is a confirmed case very close to the competition venue, I would have chosen to withdraw anyway as there are unaffilitaed classes running on the same day. However, I will still make decisions on lessons etc on a case by case basis. If for example a venue is asking for horses competing to be vaccinated and checking that properly before horses unload, I would probably be prepared to go unless we had a lot of cases in the area around us. At least with some nformation we can make more informed decisions.