Fly mask and big forelocks

catkin

Visit site
Please, Oh Wise Ones, can you help my pony?
Have not used flymasks before as they have full manes and forelocks but vet has recommended one for a short while.

Have needed to get him into a fly mask quickly as he has a weepy eye at the moment so have had to go with what was available locally in a hurry. (can get another mail order but of course that will take a while)
He is happy wearing a Weatherbeeta mask with the black mesh and no ear covers but - what do I do with his forelock?

Has anyone successfully cut a hole in this mask, or should I put put it into a loose plait or through the earholes?
His hair is long and silky rather than floof.

Ta muchly

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I prefer ones with holes for this reason. Mine is in a KM Elite as he has a big forelock and this had nice holes.

Otherwise, I just poke his forelock out of the sides of the ear holes, but this isn't particularly flattering!

2 Dragons

Visit site
I have used Equilibrium have a hole to poke the forelock out and good UV protection. You can get them direct or Amazon which may be able to deliver quickly.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
my gang share masks depending on who need them at the time, mine all have ears and none have a forelock hole as some are hairy and some are not! I plait big forelocks or sweep them back between the ears and fasten mask over the top trapping it out of the way :p

Reactions: TPO

Highmileagecob

Visit site
My cob gets a parting down the middle, and half out of each ear hole. Friend brushes forelock back and does a running plait to just beyond the headband. I can't do a running plait I never seem to have enough fingers.

AntiPuck

Visit site
I just plait it and keep it underneath the mask, she has a Rambo beekeeper so there's enough space for the plait to sit against her forehead

TPO

Visit site
Thank you all. The mask has survived its first day in the field! I did the poke through the earholes today, I'll try plaiting tomorrow.

The Shires without ears mask looks as if it might be worth a punt, so I'll see if I can get him one.

And here's a thank you pic from The Boss (sans mask)

View attachment 95733

It's Shires that I use ans they fit bull headed hairy fat cob with plenty of room

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I bought this one for the same reason - the fore lock just sits over the mask. They seem to sit nicely and neither of my two have managed to remove them yet!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XRGP7SR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1
We cannot have those, as we suffer with black flies in their ears, they are vicious little vampires like small horseflies. They make their ears so sore and if you squeeze the ear you hear them popping, and they also make a horse head shy, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_fly..
My mare has a long forelock and i give her a centre parting so no prob, pony I bought one with the hole in the middle you pull forelock through

July dreamer

Visit site
Another vote for the Shires mask, also a nice fit over the eyes, plenty of room for them to blink. Annoyingly the full nose Shires masks only come with ears or ear holes so I've adapted mine so it's just the band behind the ears. My boys have thick forelocks, must be so uncomfortable and tickle-ly (is that a word?) with thick fore locks under the masks.