Foal Heat...

charliesarmy

Visit site
Is it a common practise to use this to inseminate your mare or is it prefered to wait for her next season...can't seem to get any info...
grin.gif

whitewood

Visit site
If it was very late in the covering season and you were desparate - then possibly, maybe, but as above, the mare has had quite a trauma to her body and she is sorting herself out internally.
I would wait this early in the season until her next.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
So would I - particularly for AI. We find natural cover gives good results on the foal heat - but AI never as successful - not least because of timing. I had two due to be AI'd on foal heat today.

One was a visitor who owner's wanted on the foal heat for various reasons and as we were using the same stallion on my girl, it made sense. Yesterday they both looked good to be AI'd today - semen arrived safely this morning, but visitor had already ovulated on a 40 mm follicle!

And my own mare still had a bit of fluid (which we'll treat) but chances not great.

TangoCurly

Visit site
More to the point, who are you thinking of using as the stalllion this time? Going back to the sire of your unborn foal or trying another one?

Anyway, haven't you used up your weekly quota of questions about the foal that is due soon before you start asking about next years foal
wink.gif
? i hope the next few weeks go well for you.

bye!

charliesarmy

Visit site
Nope not planning on sending mine back this year....well not at the mo
laugh.gif

As for questions I've hundred's of the damn things...so hope I don't have a quota...or I'm stuffed
tongue.gif