Foal Monday

Abi90

Visit site
I am so smitten but I don’t get to meet him until Saturday! I will take lots of photos!

I also need to work out if he will be staying bay, it’s hard to tell from the photos

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
My grey was born with white hairs around her eyes but she was very fast to grey out.

With bay/greys I have read that they are usually born with very black legs. The ones with a silvery sheen to their black points are the ones that generally stay bay.

Reactions: JJS

Abi90

Visit site
My grey was born with white hairs around her eyes but she was very fast to grey out.

With bay/greys I have read that they are usually born with very black legs. The ones with a silvery sheen to their black points are the ones that generally stay bay.

He’s very dark round his eyes and now that he has dried out his legs are a dark silvery grey so I think he will stay bay ?

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Aww, he does seem to be very chill.

I was once doing the foaling of one that came out with really really wiggly legs (much worse than your lad's). The owner of the maiden brood mare was devastated (was a stressy type anyway), despite lots of people reassuring her that he would straighten out. Fortunately he did and was actually a seriously smart looking foal by 6 months old, but unfortunately he did forever afterwards get stuck with the stable name 'Wigglesby'

Abi90

Visit site
Aww, he does seem to be very chill.

I was once doing the foaling of one that came out with really really wiggly legs (much worse than your lad's). The owner of the maiden brood mare was devastated (was a stressy type anyway), despite lots of people reassuring her that he would straighten out. Fortunately he did and was actually a seriously smart looking foal by 6 months old, but unfortunately he did forever afterwards get stuck with the stable name 'Wigglesby'

I am a stressy type lol and I am a bit worried about his legs but the stud have foaled hundreds of foals and if she says he will straighten out then he will! He’s only going out for short bursts whilst his legs strengthen up

Abi90

Visit site
How did I miss this thread? What a gorgeous foal!

As an aside, I think I have ridden his father too! Only at home, but he was lovely.

Dad is amazing ☺️ mum is also amazing, I’m so impressed with her

Asha

Visit site
I hope so, as long as his legs straighten out. I promised myself I wouldn’t panic but I am now

It’s easy to say don’t panic , but very hard to do . To put your mind at rest speak to your vets . I imagine a vet will be out to check antibody levels anyway , so ask for their opinion then . I’m sure that will help the panic subside x.

Abi90

Visit site
Thank
It’s easy to say don’t panic , but very hard to do . To put your mind at rest speak to your vets . I imagine a vet will be out to check antibody levels anyway , so ask for their opinion then . I’m sure that will help the panic subside x.

Thank you. I think the vet was out yesterday, also the stud don’t seem worried at all and they have foaled many foals. They were a bit busy yesterday with many mares foaling at the same time so I will try and catch up with them today x

Asha

Visit site
Thank

Thank you. I think the vet was out yesterday, also the stud don’t seem worried at all and they have foaled many foals. They were a bit busy yesterday with many mares foaling at the same time so I will try and catch up with them today x

I know how stressed you must feel . When I had to rush ours to the vet with a fat hock at 8hrs old I was beside myself. My daughter was amazing and just kept saying ‘mum , breathe ‘ . You just feel so helpless don’t you . But I’m sure it will all be ok with your lad x

Abi90

Visit site
I know how stressed you must feel . When I had to rush ours to the vet with a fat hock at 8hrs old I was beside myself. My daughter was amazing and just kept saying ‘mum , breathe ‘ . You just feel so helpless don’t you . But I’m sure it will all be ok with your lad x

Spoke to stud this morning. She said she is not worried because whilst he is a bit windswept he is very strong and he’s just a bit cramped up. The farrier is up today so she’s going to get him to have a look to be sure, and the vet is up for IGG as well.

She said she has seen worse straighten up by themselves pretty quick and often windswept foals are really week and wobbly but he isn’t

Asha

Visit site
Spoke to stud this morning. She said she is not worried because whilst he is a bit windswept he is very strong and he’s just a bit cramped up. The farrier is up today so she’s going to get him to have a look to be sure, and the vet is up for IGG as well.

She said she has seen worse straighten up by themselves pretty quick and often windswept foals are really week and wobbly but he isn’t

thats great news, and hopefully you will be able to relax a bit after theyve been. He certainly looks a strong plucky fella on your video.

Asha

Visit site
Vet has been. IGG of 800+ which is excellent. Vet agrees that he will straighten himself out. Extra double check with farrier this afternoon to be sure. Feel much better

Great news.. now in the words of my wise daughter... and breathe !

Just enjoy him now, and watch the transformation as he strengthens and unfolds

PurBee

Visit site
Ohhh he is lovely! Congratulations! What a fun summer youre going to have foal raising ?

That video is sooo cute of him chasing you. I love their playfulness and curiosity!

Soon enough those legs will be powering round the paddock zooming his heart out! Many foals seem all gangly and a bit bent when first born...mine was the same - all knees and hocks and not sure how to co-ordinate himself. Yet at week 2 he was much better...getting muscles too...week 6 his legs/shoulders really developed. The speed of growth is amazing to witness.

Thank you for sharing pics and videos...those broody ones if us cant get enough!

Percy is a fab nickname...suits him!