Foal worries

Marigold4

Visit site
So new companion foal arrived today. Long journey on her own. She's very unsure of things but I eventually managed to get a head collar on her and lead her to the field. My other horses seem terrified of her! They run away from her as though she is a predator. She is a lonely sight in an adjoining field. She's full of roundworm (pot belly and lots coming out of her poo) and very, very tired! She's nodding off standing up. Didn't touch her hard feed tonight though did graze when turned out this afternoon and picking at her hay. They are in tonight as storm passing through. Phoned vet as she was rolling a lot. Will worm with Strongid P first thing in morning and keep aclose eye on her all day. I'm so sad for her. What an awful day and awful reception she has had from my horses. Poor little thing.

TheMule

Visit site
I think I'm suffering from empathy overload! I can't believe my horses' reaction to her. She was meant to be a playmate for my foal but they think she is a she-devil!

In the wild a little lost foal from a different herd would be assumed to be weak and shunned…. They'll let her in when they realize it's ok!
My little mule foal arrived after a very long journey very perky and my plan to keep him separate just clearly wasn’t going to work as he was determined to climb through the fence. The others were horrified initially but by the next morning they were all grazing together

Marigold4

Visit site
In the wild a little lost foal from a different herd would be assumed to be weak and shunned…. They'll let her in when they realize it's ok!
My little mule foal arrived after a very long journey very perky and my plan to keep him separate just clearly wasn’t going to work as he was determined to climb through the fence. The others were horrified initially but by the next morning they were all grazing together

Err, a strange foal from a different herd would be quite likely to be KILLED in the wild. Is your foal in with the new one, or within sight at least?
She is in an adjacent field but on her own. My gelding has been talking over the fence but my mare is keeping her foal very much away. They are in stables tonight as weather here is terrible. All quiet in stables. Any advice?

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
She is in an adjacent field but on her own. My gelding has been talking over the fence but my mare is keeping her foal very much away. They are in stables tonight as weather here is terrible. All quiet in stables. Any advice?
What's your plan here? Is the foal to be a companion to your nursing foal? When are you going to wean? Poor little mite (new one), she needs to have some company.

Marigold4

Visit site
Planning to wean mine in 6 weeks and have arranged for her dam to go elsewhere for 3 months. Plan was for new foal to go in with my gentle gelding but he seemed initially frightened of her, though she was keen to get to know him. He's was talking over fence with her later. They all just seem alarmed by her.

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
Is your gelding likely to be friendly with her? If so, perhaps you could introduce her to him first, and then to the others. As for the feed, I always find that young ones are happier with flat buckets.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Planning to wean mine in 6 weeks and have arranged for her dam to go elsewhere for 3 months. Plan was for new foal to go in with my gentle gelding but he seemed initially frightened of her, though she was keen to get to know him. He's was talking over fence with her later. They all just seem alarmed by her.
Most of my geldings have been absolutely besotted by foals, but not all, so you might need to be careful that she doesn't get hurt. Mares can be evil witches to foals not their own.

Marigold4

Visit site
Is your gelding likely to be friendly with her? If so, perhaps you could introduce her to him first, and then to the others. As for the feed, I always find that young ones are happier with flat buckets.
I'm hoping he will accept her soon. He's very gentle but is scared of her! She's quite small and he's maybe alarmed by her size - he's scared of Shetlands and minis. She has her feed from flat bowl.

Marigold4

Visit site
Most of my geldings have been absolutely besotted by foals, but not all, so you might need to be careful that she doesn't get hurt. Mares can be evil witches to foals not their own.
Thanks for help. I will have a go tomorrow at putting them in together in a paddock with lots of grass to distract him and hold on to him. Fingers crossed.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Thanks for help. I will have a go tomorrow at putting them in together in a paddock with lots of grass to distract him and hold on to him. Fingers crossed.
My usual method is to run a strand of electric between them for a few days, but even then that's risky with an unhandled youngster.

Patterdale

Visit site
If the gelding is kind I would just put them in together. It takes a few days or longer for them to start liking each other. Then leave the two together until the new foal weaned then chuck that in too.
That’s what I’d do anyway. I think meeting over the fence is more risky, plus they don’t actually integrate.
But ideally I’d have left the new foal at the breeders until yours is weaned. Just for next time.

Hope it all starts to settle soon.

TheMule

Visit site

Mine went in with the 2 mares and foals. The foals initiated contact, the mares weren’t interested in him. They were weaned 1 by 1 a few weeks later and everyone was very happy and settled.

Last edited:

MissTyc

Visit site
As a veteran of taking in round-bellied, wriggling-spaghetti-pooping, snot-dripping, weaned-too-young cob colts, I do feel for you OP. These foals need a bit of extra care to get over the line and if your foal is a little unwell, it's not surprising the other horses don't want to know. Your mare is rightly saying "Keep that disgusting wormy child away from my beautiful baby" but she will likely warm to the newbie quickly when it continues to be non-threatening. It sounds as though your gelding is already more interested over the fence, which is good! Foals are quite good at talking uncle geldings into loving them.

Clearing the worms is tricky - good that you have vet supervision. You'll get rid of the bit wormy pot belly easily enough. 6 weeks is easily enough time for reinfection in a small foal on infected grazing, so don't worry about that. The active ingredients used for foal worming don't last long and they don't have any fat stores either. I've had foals that seemed completely clear of worms for months and thriving and they still would suddenly shit out a pile of spaghetti all of a sudden. But, in the end, they are always clear and they grow into their immune systems, etc.

I'd be considering immune support alongside your worming routine. Don't worry about the handling, just focus on getting newbie in safely with your gelding, and you'll quickly see improvements.

Asha

Visit site
The way we’ve don’t it in the past is to buddy the new weanling up with an older horse first . My dear old Asha would always relish that role . Then once they are settled introduce them to mare and foal .
Otherwise you run the risk of the whole herd running the weanling down .
So as your little one isn’t in the best of condition I’d be keeping in at night with the gelding for company in next stable . Once weanling is brighter gradually turnout with the gelding . Leave a headcollar on both for initial introduction. I tend to let them meet for the first time in a decent size field with plenty of grass ensuring both are hungry . That way the first thing they both want ( usually) is to stuff their face .
As for Strongid P , my poorly black colt was given that at the vets without any issues .

Hope all goes well . Just be around and take your time .

Marigold4

Visit site
Well, things are much more positive this morning! A night in the stables next door to the gelding seems to have done wonders. I let the gelding have a good sniff around the foal this morning (both held on lead reins) and then took them to field together. Held onto gelding for half an hour while he grazed and foal walked around loose. Then let gelding go and no drama! His fears seem to finally vanish after he bit her (not hard) and accepted that she was a horse after all! My mare even let her foal go over for a chat. Phew! Wormed with Strongid P this morning but still loads of roundworms in her poo. Feeling much relieved.