Foal worries

Marigold4

Visit site
If the gelding is kind I would just put them in together. It takes a few days or longer for them to start liking each other. Then leave the two together until the new foal weaned then chuck that in too.
That’s what I’d do anyway. I think meeting over the fence is more risky, plus they don’t actually integrate.
But ideally I’d have left the new foal at the breeders until yours is weaned. Just for next time.

Hope it all starts to settle soon.

Marigold4

Visit site
New foal came earlier than expected but getting her before mine was weaned was always the plan. I hope by doing this, it will be less stressful for mine rather than lots of change all in one hit. I also wanted to make sure I could catch and handle the new one before we get to firework season and they have to come in at night.

Marigold4

Visit site
The way we’ve don’t it in the past is to buddy the new weanling up with an older horse first . My dear old Asha would always relish that role . Then once they are settled introduce them to mare and foal .
Otherwise you run the risk of the whole herd running the weanling down .
So as your little one isn’t in the best of condition I’d be keeping in at night with the gelding for company in next stable . Once weanling is brighter gradually turnout with the gelding . Leave a headcollar on both for initial introduction. I tend to let them meet for the first time in a decent size field with plenty of grass ensuring both are hungry . That way the first thing they both want ( usually) is to stuff their face .
As for Strongid P , my poorly black colt was given that at the vets without any issues .

Hope all goes well . Just be around and take your time .
Thanks for your advice. We obviously think alike! Plan was always to put new baby out with my gelding and i have intoduced them this morning. I was taken aback yesterday when he was so scared of her and ran away in a panic! It seemed like my plan wasn't going to work and I was going to have a lonely foal but today things are much better. Terrible weather here so they are all in again.

Marigold4

Visit site
As a veteran of taking in round-bellied, wriggling-spaghetti-pooping, snot-dripping, weaned-too-young cob colts, I do feel for you OP. These foals need a bit of extra care to get over the line and if your foal is a little unwell, it's not surprising the other horses don't want to know. Your mare is rightly saying "Keep that disgusting wormy child away from my beautiful baby" but she will likely warm to the newbie quickly when it continues to be non-threatening. It sounds as though your gelding is already more interested over the fence, which is good! Foals are quite good at talking uncle geldings into loving them.

Clearing the worms is tricky - good that you have vet supervision. You'll get rid of the bit wormy pot belly easily enough. 6 weeks is easily enough time for reinfection in a small foal on infected grazing, so don't worry about that. The active ingredients used for foal worming don't last long and they don't have any fat stores either. I've had foals that seemed completely clear of worms for months and thriving and they still would suddenly shit out a pile of spaghetti all of a sudden. But, in the end, they are always clear and they grow into their immune systems, etc.

I'd be considering immune support alongside your worming routine. Don't worry about the handling, just focus on getting newbie in safely with your gelding, and you'll quickly see improvements.
Thanks for your reassuring words! The number of long roundworms in her poo is quite shocking! What sort of immune support would you recommend? She seems brighter today and I was relieved to see she hadn't colicked overnight.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
That all looks very peaceful and promising, I reckon they will all get along famously in a very short while. Well done for thinking everything through, and for getting your foal a companion to grow up with, it'll be the best thing for both of them. New foal looks quite smart, I was expecting something much worse!

Marigold4

Visit site
That all looks very peaceful and promising, I reckon they will all get along famously in a very short while. Well done for thinking everything through, and for getting your foal a companion to grow up with, it'll be the best thing for both of them. New foal looks quite smart, I was expecting something much worse!
Thanks. That's reassuring. Yes, new foal is a nice little Welsh B. Once we get over the worms I expect we'll all be quite fond of her. She looks so delicate next to my younger strapping foal.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Most of my geldings have been absolutely besotted by foals, but not all, so you might need to be careful that she doesn't get hurt. Mares can be evil witches to foals not their own.
My Louis was used as a foal nanny in his previous home as all the mares were evil to the weaned foals, he loved it and would chase other horses away from the fence if they came too close.