foaling boxes

blitznbobs

Visit site
I have a unique opportunity to design a yard from scratch. I have a lot of space with a massive (and I mean massive) cow shed that is being repurposed as our stables and undercover turn out.

I would like at least 2 foaling boxes, but when designing them would like to ask the hive mind what is the best size. Is it truly a case of the bigger the better, would a removable side be a good idea so that more space is available if necessary? Any other features that you added or would like to have added that you could suggest would be fabulous too. I have lots of ideas but any input would be gratefully received.

Tea and cakes and gin to those that have got this far...

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Not an expert! But We knocked 2 together so mine is 12x24. The mare foaled squished right in a corner anyway ?

She foaled in lockdown in 2020 when timber was impossible to get. I had wanted to be able to split the box back in 2 for weaning etc and still hope to get that sorted for the next one. Though if you have other stables close by it would be less of a concern.

Good cameras would be high on my wishlist :)

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would go for sixteen by sixteen for me the most important thing after that is that you design them so you can open the front up to make a wide exit just in case .
There is nothing worse than having to have a mare butchered in the stable because you can’t get her out .

blitznbobs

Visit site
I would go for sixteen by sixteen for me the most important thing after that is that you design them so you can open the front up to make a wide exit just in case .
There is nothing worse than having to have a mare butchered in the stable because you can’t get her out .

Im planning on having one side that opens fully in an emergency or if the worst happens so that i can get the load all in (not a nice thought but i like to be prepared for all things)