Following on from photo_jo's post, style critique please?

kerilli

Visit site
This is my rare perlino double dilute, Casper. He does like going on a flyer, I'm not sure how to get him in a bit deeper to improve his bascule?
DSC_0096.jpg

Littlelegs

Visit site
I think he'd benefit from ridden work rather than loose jumping. Given his confirmation its easy to see lengthening is easier for him, I'd guess he's approaching too flat, work on a nice bouncy canter. Loving the bitless bridle though.

kerilli

Visit site
I think he'd benefit from ridden work rather than loose jumping. Given his confirmation its easy to see lengthening is easier for him, I'd guess he's approaching too flat, work on a nice bouncy canter. Loving the bitless bridle though.

Good thinking, I'm struggling a bit to get down to the right weight for him, unfortunately.

You need to place a Bonio 3 feet from fence and another 3 feet behind fence.
Works a treat but you may incur time faults.

That's a good idea, just worried he might get colic if he carries on round on a full stomach? Maybe give him some GastroGard?

Thanks dafthoss, I think he's going to be amazing, definitely aiming for Burghley next year.

These portables really are so unpredictable, here he's neatly bypassed the Novice one and gone for the Advanced, but you can see it moving already. He's on another flyer and has really stood off, and looks quite worried...
CSC_0158.jpg

PaddyMonty

Visit site
I very surprised ( and a little shocked, disgusted etc) that you would let him jump unsecured portables.
Dont worry about colick, just starve him for a weak first so the tum is nice and empty.

wench

Visit site
Shame I never got a picture of my lurcher leaping into the back of my dad's range rover.

It was with the top half only open, and Merlin managed to leap into it from a standstill, fitted through the hole, and didnt leave any claw marks down the back.

That was impressive (considering as well he was only large whippet size!)

cyberhorse

Visit site
I am afraid he's going to have to do some grid work to improve that bascule, very nice sharp legs, particularly tidy with the hind. Now please tell me you have had his back checked recently? It would be totally irresponsible IMHO to complain about the bascule without weekly back checks, massage and magnetic therapy, and not forgetting a tonne of expensive supplements. And while we are on the topic what exactly are you feeding him?!

Littlelegs

Visit site
It's obviously a bridle, not a neckstrap, nobodys on him so there. Sheesh!
I think the problem in the second picture is the lack of groundline. He's also opening his mouth, which under forum rules means you need to get teeth, back, saddle, physio, vet & help from a natural horsemanship guru. Or just use a flash. Either extreme ok but no inbetween ground.

kerilli

Visit site
I very surprised ( and a little shocked, disgusted etc) that you would let him jump unsecured portables.
Dont worry about colick, just starve him for a weak first so the tum is nice and empty.
Well, it's like Arena Eventing, I thought that as he's going slower, and it's on a surface and a nice soft landing, it'd be okay...?!?!?! I can try to get some sandbags but I'm not sure if they'll do any good.
I think this pic shows that he can really engage and step through from behind, truly lightening the forehand and staying in self carriage. The dressage is looking good, now i have just got to work on him keeping him like this all the way to a fence and not letting him get excited and accelerate through my distance...
DSC_0098.jpg

Hopefully his 'chicken wings' style will distract from mine? That can only be a good thing, right?

Lolo

Visit site
I see your flying lurcher and raise you a springer spaniel puppy who already knows about lead changes, as exampled here...
557383_3593148034455_410749217_n.jpg

She's also totally fearless. Hoping to get her out at Novice before the end of the year-she's only 6 months, but I feel ageism in BE has to be ended now.

kerilli

Visit site
And 53 stone women that ride very light. ;)

Hahaha yes, "but i'm an EXPERT rider so i actually ride at, like, 7 stone, okay? It's only beginners who are heavy."

Lolo, I think he has lots of potential but I'd be very worried about him opening his mouth that much. It seems to be a family trait? I think you need to get a canine dentist out asap, i'd give him time off, or ride in a hackamore until then. get neck and back checked too.
also, he's not very straight, his neck is NOT in line with his body, this is a major evasion that will only get worse as he goes up the levels, you'll be heavily penalised for it at Advanced level. Lots of lateral work should help. Also, he'll be putting more weight on his shoulder and stressing that leg, which could lead to a breakdown. maybe you should check his foot balance carefully, or think of having thermal imaging done...
on the good side, he looks keen, and those ears will be very handy to hang on to if you need to grab something rather than the reins.

Lolo

Visit site
Do you really need a gag at 6 months old? :mad:

Yes, how else do you get the fecker on the bit? And it stops her complaining... Any advice on instilling obedience? It just won't listen to a word it's told. All that natural talent, wasted.

The father is such an obedient and willing chap, superb over solid fences..
167068_1500018939987_1219588210_31138735_8002524_n.jpg

Lolo

Visit site
Hahaha yes, "but i'm an EXPERT rider so i actually ride at, like, 7 stone, okay? It's only beginners who are heavy."

Lolo, I think he has lots of potential but I'd be very worried about him opening his mouth that much. It seems to be a family trait? I think you need to get a canine dentist out asap, i'd give him time off, or ride in a hackamore until then. get neck and back checked too.
also, he's not very straight, his neck is NOT in line with his body, this is a major evasion that will only get worse as he goes up the levels, you'll be heavily penalised for it at Advanced level. Lots of lateral work should help. Also, he'll be putting more weight on his shoulder and stressing that leg, which could lead to a breakdown. maybe you should check his foot balance carefully, or think of having thermal imaging done...
on the good side, he looks keen, and those ears will be very handy to hang on to if you need to grab something rather than the reins.

If you consider the breeding though, the breed is notorious for being a little unusual with their approach to life. Surely this needs to be taken into account by all judges- how can it's body be straight if it can't even think straight?!

jedge

Visit site
I think this pic shows that he can really engage and step through from behind, truly lightening the forehand and staying in self carriage. The dressage is looking good, now i have just got to work on him keeping him like this all the way to a fence and not letting him get excited and accelerate through my distance...
DSC_0098.jpg

You will get harshly marked for resistance though as his mouth is open. Have you had his teeth checked? Tried a flash?....

Jesstickle

Visit site
I'm sorry K, I'm not very good at jokes (useless sense of humour :( ) so I can't add anything funny but...

I luff your hound! He is stunning. If you ever want to retire him to lower level home please bear me in mind :D

mik

Visit site
I feel I must complain that: a) the photos are toooo big. b) he is without protector boots of any kind and c) NO BLING.