Following on from popularbreeds, what unusual breeds do you see in your area?

Griffin

Visit site
I’m pretty sure there is some legislation around here that only allows Gundogs or collies.

Round here the legislation only allows French Bulldogs and Cockerpoos.

However, I saw a Standard Dachshund yesterday and I was amazed at how big it was! I had never seen one in real life before so it was unusual to me.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I’d quite like to see a Chinese crested dog! Never seen on in reality. I *think I *might like them 😬
He was quite a snappy dog he used to have a go at Winnie when she was quite young and he had a go at my friend's doberman puppy quite badly, no idea if it's a breed trait or just something this dog just did buy I wasn't that keen 😄

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
A woman I work with has a Chow and another woman at work has a large munsterlander (I hope I've got that right).

I recently met a great dane, not majorly unusual I guess but I don't meet many! Met a man with an IWS recently too, they seem to be getting more popular lately, and I started talking to him about his dog. He informed me I had stopped him in a sainsburys carpark the other side of town last year, and my uncle bred his dog 😂 I remembered the conversation when he reminded me. I never let an IWS pass me by. So in short, I met an unusual dog and forgot I met him and met him again 😂
Someone in the woods was amazed that I knew her dog was a munsterlander. I mean, Bear is a turbo oversize springer, this thing dwarfed him!

I’m pretty sure there is some legislation around here that only allows Gundogs or collies.
One of the dog walkers-she’s horsey, we always chat-had a row of labs in her trailer with the setter sat trying to blend in! 🤣
I saw two Dandie Dinmonts walking up the street yesterday.
Blimey, haven’t seen one of those in years. Definitely qualifies as a scruffy terrier to consider for the future.

fankino04

Visit site
I used to walk a Norwegian buhund who was a fantastic dog, did a dog sit for a newfie recently which not rare is uncommon round here, regularly meet a chow, local woman has 2 old English sheepdogs ( hadn't seen any of those for years), did a home visit for a rescue a while back and one of their current dogs was a Swedish vallhund.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Someone in the woods was amazed that I knew her dog was a munsterlander. I mean, Bear is a turbo oversize springer, this thing dwarfed him!

One of the dog walkers-she’s horsey, we always chat-had a row of labs in her trailer with the setter sat trying to blend in! 🤣

Blimey, haven’t seen one of those in years. Definitely qualifies as a scruffy terrier to consider for the future.

I don’t think of them as unusual as my YO had one and now has another .. both quite sweet dogs although her previous one was a bit of a hunter and used to disappear quite regularly

rara007

Visit site
We have Picardy spaniel and chessie breeders locally so see plenty of both of them. I’ve only seen a few small musterlanders abroad but the large the ‘in’ dog in my Cani X.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Someone I know has a Schipperke. Should be renamed Schitperke, Nasty little dog. But they dont live round here.

Little did I know on posting on this thread 13 years ago that I’d end up with a schitperke 😂 I’ve only met another one in the wild (outside of the show ring) once, in central London of all places.

Birker2020

Visit site
I board a Leonberger and an Italian Greyhound, they are possibly the least common I see, breeds I see when walking are mostly of the same.
We have a wolfhound near us.
I have a little fox terrier boarding now, never see any of those around.

I have a long coated akita (looks like a teddy bear) very different to the short coats and have only seen 2 others and I board them, she pulls in the crowds on every walk, so I walk her at dusk now:D I also have alot of people commenting on our deerhound, I also never see any of those.
We have a Basenji and a Bedlington Terrier by us, reminds me of a little lamb!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Little did I know on posting on this thread 13 years ago that I’d end up with a schitperke 😂 I’ve only met another one in the wild (outside of the show ring) once, in central London of all places.

I saw one with the Japanese team entourage at a couple of world championships and the only other one was walking down the street in Brum and I accosted the owners 😉

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Japanese schip people appear to be super enthusiastic and cute about the breed, the last meet up in Tokyo (called the black bean festival) had party hats and official souvenirs.

I saw someone canicrossing with a bedlington this morning, again outside of showing I haven’t seen one of those for a while.

Someone asked the other night (tbf it was nearly dark) if the large dog was a huntaway. 😳

malwhit

Visit site
I used to own a Manchester Terrier.

Locally, there is Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever - a great dog until it barks🐕 There used to be a Spanish Water Dog and two Shiba Inu. In my local pet shop, I met a lady with two Dandie Dinmonts - they looked a lot nicer with a normal hair style😁

There is a breeder of Smooth Collies a few villages away from me. I saw a recent litter advertised but have never met one

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Japanese schip people appear to be super enthusiastic and cute about the breed, the last meet up in Tokyo (called the black bean festival) had party hats and official souvenirs.

I saw someone canicrossing with a bedlington this morning, again outside of showing I haven’t seen one of those for a while.

Someone asked the other night (tbf it was nearly dark) if the large dog was a huntaway. 😳
Your gsd?! 🤣

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
I know someone with a Norfolk terrier. For such lovely little dogs they’re not very popular? I’m trying to convince my mum to take a puppy when my friend has a litter.

There’s a Dalmatian near by too.

And my personal obsession, I saw a corgi in York city centre. I almost burst with excitement.

Squeak

Visit site
I love seeing the variety of different breeds and find it sad how some of our native dog breeds are endangered, much the same as some of our horse breeds.

I saw a Kerry Blue and Griffon Bassett the other day as well as seeing two Lagotto Romagnolo's fairly frequently.

Lexi 123

Visit site
My grandad owned 2 kerry blue terriers they are extremely rare and sadly a lot of them get cancer . The dog jack sitting on the bed was the original one he died of cancer at 5 years old. The puppy jack 2.0 just turned 8 years old today I don’t have any Adult photos .

Attachments

• D2685EEC-3710-4F14-AD07-FBC826D81D1B.jpeg
    D2685EEC-3710-4F14-AD07-FBC826D81D1B.jpeg
    110.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 3577E3EB-A181-42BC-AC41-7D2032B206DD.jpeg
    3577E3EB-A181-42BC-AC41-7D2032B206DD.jpeg
    102.5 KB · Views: 10

Morwenna

Visit site
Very few around here - they all seem to doodles/poos. I see lots of weird and wonderful breeds mantrailing though which is lovely.

Mosh

Visit site
There is a bavarian mountain hound on my yard. She is lovely, daft as a brush and very loyal. She is a bit barky but we've been known to have cuddles in the middle of the floor!