Following on from popularbreeds, what unusual breeds do you see in your area?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
This morning I met an Estrela Mountain dog, apparently they're from Portugal. Never heard of it-bred to guard sheep? She was extremely friendly and had big sniffs with Zak.

Image from google:
estrelamountaindog.jpg

On the way to the woods, I saw a Samoyed puppy: there must be a breeder nearby cos I see an adult one frequently and this is the 2nd puppy I've seen recently.

The other week, I saw a Keeshond puppy-nearly crashed the car in surprise! Again, there must be a breeder nearby as I saw one last year, too. This is not the one I grew up with:
PhotoOfMonth1.jpg

So what uncommon breeds do you own or see sometimes?

Last edited:

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
I think I posted a complete list on the other thread but probably the most unusual we see is an Afghan hound, followed by probably the Boston terrier. The other notable one is a standard poodle, I've seen many toy and miniatures but never a standard. Very striking, black and a short puppy clip all over. :)

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Aye, heard of Estrelas, nice dogs.
Nothing too unusual here, my friend's son imported the first Cane Corsos here, my friend keeps Old English Sheepdogs and her boyfriend breeds Chows.
Used to see a lot of Sams here in the 1980s.

Tinkerbee

Visit site
I've never seen any unusual breeds round here, most unusual dog was a husky!

Everyone owns terriers, collies, labs., springers or whippets around here

Ditto this, the most unusual breeds we have are the owners! :D

Actually, there's a bearded collie, but thats all I think.

Bright_Spark

Visit site
Sometimes I see a Burnese Mountain Dog, who is georgeous and I want to steal her! Also see an Irish Setter sometimes too. Now sure how unusual they are elsewhere but here the more popular breeds seem to be collies, spaniels and retrivers.

CAYLA

Visit site
I board a Leonberger and an Italian Greyhound, they are possibly the least common I see, breeds I see when walking are mostly of the same.
We have a wolfhound near us.
I have a little fox terrier boarding now, never see any of those around.

I have a long coated akita (looks like a teddy bear) very different to the short coats and have only seen 2 others and I board them, she pulls in the crowds on every walk, so I walk her at dusk now:D I also have alot of people commenting on our deerhound, I also never see any of those.

Bearsmum

Visit site
Ah Cayla I did see a deerhound on Holkham beach last weekend, he was lovely but I don't think his owner was too pleased at the remains of a dead rabbit he was carrying around and wouldn't drop!

JDx

Vetty

Visit site
I have a client with a Leonberger - I had to Google it as I'd never heard of one before! I see a Standard Poodle sometimes at a local beauty spot, he is gorgeous.

I have a friend with both a BullMastiff and a St Bernard - neither that unusual in themselves but quite unusual (or mad) to have both in one house!

GeeGeeboy

Visit site
Since i have started working in the groomers i have seen many unusual breeds such as: Russian black terriers, Polish Tatras, Louchens, Bedlington terriers, curly coated retrievers, etc. Very interesting:)

dozzie

Visit site
Someone I know has a Schipperke. Should be renamed Schitperke, Nasty little dog. But they dont live round here.

Our Mastiffs are possibly the most unusual round here.

I love the Estrela! It looks like a long haired version of a Mastiff!

There are a few Leonbergers around here as there are a few big breeders in the area.

s4sugar

Visit site
As I Have Borzoi & Glen of Imaals I see a fair few along with Cesky terriers.

Rarest seen out and around is probably the Silken Windhund but see all sorts when I go to the vets as the practice is popular with breeders.

quirky

Visit site
I see one English Pointer, a Giant Poodle and a Canary Mastiff.
I also see an Irish Wolfhound when I'm on the way to the yard.

FAB_FERN

Visit site
I have a GSD which is pretty normal. lol

This year I have seen a friend with a standard poodle which was a lovely dog.

I've recently spotted people walking past the yard with 2 hungarian vizla's (sp?), never seen them before. also a pair of red setters on my way to work and today I saw som one with 4 english pointers.

I know someone who breeds irish terriers and my brother has a german shepard x husky who is a beautiful dog but totally thick isn't the word. lol

A friend has just rescued a bichon frise and he's a super dog.

monochroma

banni-whitemane.deviantart.com
We have a Tibetan Terrier come to the park quite often. Lovely little dog, gets on well with my idiot :D

There's a very old Airedale terrier around here too, hardly see him though as he's quite infirm. There used to be 2 samoyeds (one was mine) but now there's only one elderly male that's only occasionally seen. He was quite she show dog in his day apparently.

FestiveSpirit

Visit site
With no disrespect intended to anyone, I am really interested in the breeds people think of as unusual - probably it is because I grew up in a showing environment, but they are all perfectly normal to me :)

I am racking my brains now to think of unusual dogs around where I live - and tbh there arent any :D There is a Brittany Spaniel which lives down the road, which I suppose is relatively uncommon, but other than that we are all bog-standard owners :D

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Don't really see any breeds I consider unusual, possibly because like Carey I am used to most breeds. Neighbours have Dogues and a schipperke, he too is a little ***** Dozzie, has bitten both my kids. :mad: There is also someone in the village who breeds and shows cattle dogs , so quite often see them.

FestiveSpirit

Visit site
Lol, I can't speak for anyone else but I don't think 'unusual' is the right word. I think 'uncommon' is more like it. At least that's how I see it :)

Unusual would be seeing a purple dog. :D:D

I have one of those - are you telling me that is not a normal colour for a dog :eek: Hmmm.....:D

slimjim

Visit site
A smooth collie. Four pyrenean mountain dogs, always together.

Fox terriers aren't unusual - I see one every day - can't get rid of her. I hardly ever see a smoothie one though, much more uncommon.

I can remember when Afghans were all the rage.

MollyMoomin

www.petandanimalfeeds.co.uk
I imagine Herman is fairly unusual - yes he's Weimaraner but he is long haired which means he is a bit of a curiosity round here still.

We have 2 of the biggest Weim (show) breeders within 5 miles of each other here which means he is generally recognised as a Weim but the long hair throws everyone :)

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I've only recently "met" long haired weimeraners,lovely dogs. A friend does working trials with a lovely bitch, she's currently in whelp and there is a huge waiting list for her pups.:)

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Hang on, just noticed, that Estrela is so much of a diva, it has a handler at both ends!!!
Glad to see it's not just GSDs that have fallen prey to double handling :p

Ravenwood

Visit site
My first dog was a Norwegian Buhund - only ever seen one other since. A really lovely, happy dog :D

As posted already - there is a Russian black terrier near here (why on earth it is called a terrier I have no idea - its huge!!)

My next dog was crossed with an Australian Huntaway (a mistake!!) as the local farmer used to have them - again just about one of the most fabulous dogs I have ever had. RIP Badger :(

Three Gordon setters up the road and a couple of rhodesian ridgebacks.....hmmm, can't think of anything else at the moment

Oh and I have a smooth haired collie which someone above thought was unusual ;)

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Also..there are a couple of Belgian Malinois at our club and some Dutch Herders, not unusual in working circles but not breeds of dog you'd see walked down the street very often.

quirky

Visit site
With no disrespect intended to anyone, I am really interested in the breeds people think of as unusual - probably it is because I grew up in a showing environment, but they are all perfectly normal to me :)

Ooh, the guy with the Canary Mastiff said there weren't too many in the country, the first having been imported by a gun dog trainer in Cheshire not that many years ago. I'm sure somebody will put be right though :cool:.

I do concur though that the others are for uncommon than unusual :).