Following on from the dog thread - why did you pick that breed..

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
... of horse?

I got into arabs and part breds as I had a wonderful horse when I was a teenager that happened to be an anglo-arab. He's also the horse that inspired me to learn about horse colours due to his 'grey tail' or Gulastra Plume.

Seamus.jpg

marmalade76

Visit site
I currently have a TB as my ride. My old boy is not sound enough for much more than the occasional plod and not being able to sell/not having expected to have to replace him I had no money to spend so that's why I have a TB, 'cause he was given to me for nothing. I could have found something cheap, but it would have either been very young/a problem project and I didn't want that. With a TB from a racing yard I have an animal that's broken, used to traveling, clipping, has been taught manners, etc, etc. Yes, he needs schooling and TBH I haven't done much of that yet but he hacks out alone and in company, is excellent and traffic, has no vices and is as sweet as a nut :)

Had I had a few grand to spend I would have liked another connie (like my old boy) or an arab. I had a couple of PBAs in my youth and would like a pure bred one day :)

Enfys

Visit site
Arabs, for their whole personality and joie de vivre, I like smaller horses, that are fairly narrow and carry their heads high, I like to see a pair of ears in front of me :)
I like my horses with more go than whoa, I just love arabs. I never used to, I used to think that they were useless pretty pretty poncy ponies, until I was horseless and answered an ad in a shop window to exercise racehorses. I got a bit of a shock when I discovered that arabs race, that was 25 years ago. I was hooked, and like all converts I am fanatical about them. I bought one pretty sharpish and have never been without one since, actually, discounting the foals, I have only had 3. I still have a 28 year old.

Now that I am in my second childhood and have knackered knees and hips I have progressed to gaited horses, and I am just as addicted to them. I have two Paso Finos, my mini Iberians, each very different, I love just being able to sit, no more posting . They are easy to ride, very, very fast, have excellent natures and are so much like Arabians in temperament, yet another reason I adore them.

Last edited:

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
I had a fab NF pony on loan when I was 13. It sparked an interest in the breed. When I sold my horse due to a loss of confidence I was supposed to be buying a schoolmaster and a companion. I found the companion, a yearling NF gelding but never the schoolmaster. Instead I backed and schooled him on, 21 years later I still have him and 5 other NF's!

Spud, the founder of my love of NF

SpudfirstNF-1.jpg

Benji, the catalyst for me moving to the forest

Benji%20on%20orest%20head%20shot_zpsatp08a5a.jpg

ihatework

Visit site
I've never gone out and specifically bought a breed. I've chosen my horses on their type for the job intended. Invariably they are mongrel sporthorse types, some better bred than others!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I've never gone out and specifically bought a breed. I've chosen my horses on their type for the job intended. Invariably they are mongrel sporthorse types, some better bred than others!

Ditto!

When buying my current one the seller was insistent on trying to tell me about the breeding, whereas the names meant nothing to me, nor was I interested. Out and about a few people asked me about his breeding, and by then I had forgotten. Not liking to look so ignorant I looked the sire up and googled him, wow a very nice horse! I even emailed the stallion owner to say what a lovely boy they had bred, they traced his breeder and I then had an email from the breeder, together with baby photos.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Ended up with Millie by default really, she's a cob x WB. I wanted a TB to event, but she won me over with her attitude.
And I got my section D because she was given to me.
I would really like a bigger horse at some point... I think my ideal stamp would be about 3/4 WB, 1/4 native of some kind, as i do like pony brains & WB paces ;) In reality my budget will probably stretch to OTTB. Ho hum!

ameeyal

Visit site
Ive had arabs for 35 years, my first horse was a 1/2 arab and i just fell for his beauty, i was 16 at the time and he was my first pony i bought for myself having saved up for one since i was 13 years old. I now have 4 just love them.

be positive

Visit site
My ISH was given to me I certainly would not have chosen him as much as I like his type he is 16.2 and bred/ lives to jump, my choice would be 15 hands happy to stay on the ground doing dressage and looking pretty.

I have rarely gone out looking to buy, they tend to either land here or jump out of an ad and say "buy me" I have my retired pba who is my ideal type, he showed and did dressage in his day but is now happily mooching about with the rest of my odd collection, I had a heavyweight show cob acquired in a swap, we had great fun on the county circuit but he sadly succumbed to cancer at a fairly young age.
I love the native breeds and possibly the most fun was my Dales who I let go to someone who fell in love with him when they saw him in my field while they were buying a pony for their child, to me it is more about type than breed, I like a horse with an active brain, well put together with a face that is attractive over the stable door, it doesn't have to be classically pretty but must have something that makes me want to look at the whole animal, I think it is actually the eye that draws me to them, some look at you in a different way.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I like a horse with an active brain, well put together with a face that is attractive over the stable door, it doesn't have to be classically pretty but must have something that makes me want to look at the whole animal, I think it is actually the eye that draws me to them, some look at you in a different way.

Some look at the whole world in a different way - we used to call it the look of eagles though I'm not sure the phrase is used much these days? :) Those are my faves too :)

ArabianGem78

Visit site
I caught arab-itis when, as a teenager I started helping out someone I knew who has an arab and anglo-arab. When the time came to buy my own, I visited the stud that she bought her AA from, and fell head-over-heels for my little chestnut PBA mare. Horse 2 was always going to be a pure bred mare - yet another chestnut ;-)

For me the arabian is the ultimate breed. Intelligent, thinking horses who are, despite popular opinions, fantastic performance horses as well as being easy to have around on a day-to-day basis (my little mare is a cracking person who is so easy to handle) who happen to be achingly beautiful.

oldie48

Visit site
Ditto
but the two best were both ponies, a full connie and a connie/TB so i have a particular fondness for connies but don't hav one currently.

SadKen

Visit site
I also desperately wanted an Arab because they are mindblowingly beautiful, and I used to ride an Arab stallion as a teenager and he was sensible, kind and made my heart sing to look at him. I felt like a queen on that horse!

So I bought my own purebred, and unfortunately it was a complete disaster, because he wasn't what I thought he was (not broken properly as I found out much later - you don't get a decent breaking livery for £40 a week - very very spooky), my riding ability wasn't what I expected, and he scared the pants off me. He has gone to an Endurance home and is regularly competing 150k with a pro rider, who describes him as a 'hot boy'. So perhaps not all my fault, but a disaster nonetheless!

I would have loved another Arab but I didn't think I was up to dealing with anything remotely spooky due to a massive loss of confidence, and the dream was effectively ruined, so I looked for a pony and that's what I got! She's a mix (welsh/coloured/bit of TB etc) but she most closely resembles the ponies of my youth, and she's perfect.

I still love Arabs, but I'll never own another. Once bitten... although I don't think it's the breed's fault, and my horse was just way too much for your average owner. My own personal experience was that the Arabs up for sale were either young and skittish, or older and quirky - I think when you get a good one, you don't sell them! Just my experience. I'm sure it's not like that for everyone.

rara007

Visit site
I chose the horse not the breed :) It happens he's a Welsh D, which opens up showing options and isn't far from my 'comfort zone'. The other two, one is unknown breeding and the other is an NRPS- both those were chosen off their performance/potential too.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I had an Exmoor as a kid and a few years ago I went to the breed soc show as the photographer-decided I should really have another and now I have two. I also have a lusitano-my second. Quite by chance when getting over a break up I booked myself on a classical riding holiday in Portugal. I had never ridden anything quite like the little bay working equitation stallion that I rode that week-completely fell in love. Managed to find a youngster within budget over here. I lost him and had another type on loan and rode some others and they were not for me. Absolutely knew I wanted another lusitano and so glad I did. I love my ponies but sometimes I need a break from the pony mind lol.

One of my favourite horses I ever looked after was a lovely anglo arab, kindest, gentlest horse I ever met and I have a soft spot for arabs.

Embo

Visit site
I've always loved heavy/cobby types. But I will always go for a horse that can do the job I want & has a good attitude to match. Very keen on IDs these days.

When I was younger, I had a thing for mustangs and Norwegian fjords!

Zipzop

Visit site
I ended up with mine section d as I had an older mare who needed a quieter life. I sold her and decided I didn't want to ride at that time anymore so got an 18 month of appy x Arab just to play with and bring on later on when my riding enthusiasm returned. A few weeks later I decided I couldn't bear not riding(!)so just wanted something quiet and ploddy to have some fun on while my other one matured. The minute I saw my boys face over the stable door I knew I wanted him! He turned out to not be at all ploddy or easy and has given my plenty of headaches over the nine years I have owned him but in the end he was the one for me and I eventually ended up selling the spotty youngster I had intended on keeping! I had had thoroughbreds and sport horse crosses before this fat little section d. Now I'd never own something that didn't have a load of feather and a white face!

alainax

Visit site
Friesian :) I needed something chunky, wanted something flashy and handsome with a great temperament. I couldn't have wished for more perfect horse :D

Old Bat

Visit site
I've always gone for temperament, confirmation and ability rather than a strict breed, but they are invariably Irish. Id x connie, ID x tb, connie x TB, connie x arab x welsh. Had one pure tb who was a mental nightmare. Amy's ponies have always been chosen for temperament and versatility, no great lookers. Even had one that looked just like a llama. He was Irish too...

But Faracat, I love your arabs!

pennyturner

Visit site
The last time I chose one for me, rather than for the kids, I chose a welsh x hackney. Never seen a horse with a better temperament. Just a bit mental, but never actually unsafe. He was injured, unfortunately, but he's a treasure nontheless, and would die under you if you'd let him.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I didn't 'pick' CF, Jennbags from this forum shoved me in his direction, totally the opposite type to what I might have had :biggrin3:

Used to produce most of the natives, then spread out into re-training TB's from off the track, then dabbled with ISH's for a few years.

Would have probably gone for a MW ISH again, but CF is just the ticket - and in a home for life :)

equestriansports

Visit site
When I bought my first boy, I knew that I didn't want a cob. I have no clue why I've always associated cobs with plods (most aren't!) so I wanted something sportier. Queue me getting a 3/4 TB, 1/4 Arabian. He was built like a small TB with the temperament of an Arab. He's my horse of a lifetime and my absolute perfect. He came with a lot of issues so sadly had to sell him. He stripped me of my confidence undersaddle. I still love him to death and would love another like him. Anyway, once I sold him I decided I wanted something safe, about 14 yo, 15.2hh cob type because I'd decided in my mind they're safe. I now have a 13.3, 4/5yo Traditional thing with a Welsh type head stuck on him! He's a mutt of unknown breeding ;) However, he's the sweetest thing. A proper escape artist, manages to get under everything. God forbid you forget to put the kick plate over. He's a cheeky chap but he never fails to make me smile. He's the safest idiot out there. Rarely spooks and when he does, he teleports but then forgets what he was even scared of ;) Never met a horse more food-orientated either.

Last edited:

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I'm an Arab owner again!

I didn't choose her, she was a wedding gift. I know very little about her but I find out all the details next week when I'm back in the UK. I do know that she was bred by the people who have her to us and out of their lovely rose grey mare who I've always adored.

I have had two great Arabs in the past and a smashing Arab x Welsh D as a child. My thb mare who passed away in February was very Arab-like in her features and very light to ride but not quite as bright, bless her. I'm looking forward to having a thinking horse to ride.

blitznbobs

Visit site
I have a traditional cob as I was deprived as a child and wanted a my little pony to play with... Plus I wanted something sane that mum could ride too... He's a terrible choice as he's mental, spooky and terrible on the roads...

I bought a Holstein mare as I like a sl heavier stamp than the average Hanoverian I wanted a horse to compete at pure dressage so had decided on either a Holstein or a kwpn she was the first to turn up that fit my criteria... She is dfab willing and a lot more sane than the above cob... Go figure

ljohnsonsj

Visit site
I've never been to bothered about the breed of horse. I own an OTTB whom I have reschooled etc myself, and for as far as being willing and genuine goes, she wins hands down!

I also own a chestnut mare selle francais, she is crazy! But by, she can jump and then some! I always feel I will never get another horse that gives me a feeling over a fence like her, shes crazy and broncs and bucks but her jump is just SO powerful, that is her personality and not breed though.

And last year I got a rising 3yo KWPN, Breaking her in has been a dream and I think my next one I will be looking for something very similar to her :)

Pigeon

Visit site
Thoroughbred. For many reasons which I will list for you.

- Always supported the whole RoR thing due to the number of failed racehorses slaughtered each year.
- Cheap.
- I like an underdog!

I'd also not had much contact with blood horses (aka anything that didn't come from a swamp) and I had decided I wanted a 'proper horse', which in my teenage brain, meant scrawny, bay, and melodramatic. Not sure my parents were too pleased!

Anyway, bought this little weed home in April 2011.

ba_002.jpg

He doesn't look so much like that any more.

pip_canter.jpg

He is a complicated ride, especially on the flat, he either comes last or first when we compete! (though firsts seem more common now, bless him!) But I think my riding has improved 100% and that is entirely down to him. He is bizarrely a completely bombproof hack.

Would I have another?

In a heart beat ;)

Last edited: