Following the vacuuming thread...

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
Has anyone used a hairdryer on their horse?! I need to wash his mane at the weekend and wondered whether it would be worth trying! Thought I'd check with you lot first to avoid sniggers at the yard if it's a ridiculous idea. 😁😁

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I've never done it, but there are whole industries in the US devoted to various primping aids for Arab horses, including a whole body hot air drying suit. I just use a couple of towels on my horse's long mane, it's dry within 30 mins, even at this time of year.

Squirily

Visit site
Yes I have! Hairy horse came in from field plastered in wed mud, vet coming shortly for steroid injections. Cue hairdryer on washed hocks so they would be dry and clipable in preparation for injections! Horse loved it, luckily no one else on the yard to confirm their suspicions that I'm completely barmy

Twohorses

Visit site
I have never had to but, being a person who doesn't care what other people think, I would if I had to:) I thought that might be the case when my two 20-something's were out in an all day cold rain not too long ago:)

They both have a very thick winter hair - Had they come in for the night sucked up in the flanks and tail tucked, I would have started blow drying after towel drying the excess water off.

Just be sure to keep the heat on low so as not to burn their skin -- some makes of hair dryers can get pretty hot:)

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Years ago when I lived in Colorado I washed a horse's tail in December. It promptly froze into a solid baton of ice - actually dangerous! So out came the hairdryer, but we had to use a hammer to break up the ice first!

eggs

Visit site
Used a hairdryer to dry a horse's legs that were prone to mud fever. He was a bit suspicious to start with so I had some-one hold him whilst I used the hair dryer but after a few minutes he was absolutely fine with it.

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
My suspicions are confirmed, you're all mad!!! But thanks for the responses, I might give it a go😁, I reckon he might quite like it. Not taking my Dyson hairdryer down, he can make do with the cheap old one I have in a cupboard somewhere. I'm quite tempted to try vacuuming as well seeing as he's started moulting vigorously...

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Has anyone used a hairdryer on their horse?! I need to wash his mane at the weekend and wondered whether it would be worth trying! Thought I'd check with you lot first to avoid sniggers at the yard if it's a ridiculous idea. 😁😁
done previously to dry legs due to mud fever, bit of a faff with extension lead, power breaker, etc

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Yes, on one with mud fever. He was a bit wary initially as the blast was new to him. I did it on mid setting and moved the head so it was warm but not hot in one spot.

Yes, also hoover the horse with a Black and Decker beats as it sweeps hand hoover. Gets them thoroughly clean but also they weirdly love it once the brushes make contact. I have used it to equip then for clipping!

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
I have. Friend was coming to clip my pony and he kindly had rolled. Bath followed and got the hairdryer on him so he was clean and dry. He wasn't bothered in the slightest. 😊