Foods That Are Bad For Dogs

GinaB

Visit site
I'm going to see if I can get Admin to sticky this post so feel free to add anymore that aren't on this initital list (I found it online)
grin.gif

* Onions and garlic
* Chocolate- Chocolate contains Theobromine, which can raise your dogs heart rate to beat abnormally. Can cause seizures that can lead to coma. Baking/dark chocolate has more of the chemical so it's more dangerous, but avoid all chocolate at all costs.
* Macadamia Nuts and Walnuts
* Pear pits, the kernels of plums, peaches and apricots, apple core pits which contain cyanogenic glycosides resulting in cyanide posioning
* Potato peels and green potatoes
* Rhubarb leaves
* Mouldy and Spoiled foods (I recently heard of a dog that died eating moldy cheese!Be very careful)
* Alcohol
* Yeast dough
* Table scraps (high fat) and sweets
* Coffee and tea (caffeine)
* Hops (used in making beer)
* Tomatoe leaves and the stems
* Broccoli (in large quantities)
* Raisins and grapes
* Chicken and pork bones (can splinter and cause harm internally)
* Rawhide Chewies (a lot of people don't know this one..these are bleached with chemicals and can be unsafe)
* Wheat/grains- many dogs don't tolerate these well

severnmiles

Visit site
You can take chicken off there's nothing wrong with chicken bones aslong as they're raw. I feed Barf and mine get alot of legs/wings/carcasses e.t.c Raw pork bones are fine for smaller dogs who don't have the power to break them but not for bigger dogs.

I know many breeders and show handlers who feed garlic puree to ward off fleas.

Other than that I agree with everything else.

GinaB

Visit site
It won't let me edit it! I forgot all about the barf diet, maybe they mean cooked bones?

Garlic seems to appear on a lot of the lists I have read yet it doesn't state as to why it shouldn't be fed?

More...

*Avacado
* Products sweetened with xylitol

severnmiles

Visit site
Must be, they can kill if cooked. In my humble opinion you should never feed ANY cooked bones, beef or otherwise. Too dangerous. Hmmm, I wonder why, I don't feed garlic, frontline is easier
wink.gif

Off topic but I always used to laugh when hounds crossed an onion field, the otherside they took about 5 mins to find any scent again, poor things must have had their noses blown off!
tongue.gif

GinaB

Visit site
Oh a garlicky update...

Onions and Garlic - onions, especially raw ones - sulphur in them causes the problems. This can cause damage to the red blood cells and cause anaemia. Garlic is less toxic than onions so if you wish to feed it to naturally repel feas, please check amounts with your vet.

Ahhh the poor hounds!

edfin

Visit site
I give my dogs liver cake and home made biscuits which all contain garlic and they love it.

As for feeding raw bones to dogs, check out this link from Ann Bedford of Mathanach Collies - http://www.collienet.com/health%20topics/bones%20and%20dogs.htm - scary stuff.

Ann Bedford is the breeder of one of my dogs and at the time, she advised me to feed him raw chicken wings, but I was totally against this. Not only as bones are harmful to dogs, but also from the salmonella point of view. My vet agreed and now Ann refuses to give any of her dogs raw bones.

Another friend is into 'natural diet' for her dogs. He staffy X had emergency surgery when a bone perforated his stomach. Bones are now off her menu also.

severnmiles

Visit site
How are they harmful to dogs?

Yes sure, I've heard of numerous foxes dying of Salmonella poisening from stealing chicken....not
smirk.gif

severnmiles

Visit site
Maral, what type of bone was it? Chicken bones are soft which is why they don't get stuck.

I think Ann has to accept it was a freak accident. My 2y.o jumped out of a field and impaled herself on a stake ripping out her intestines but it doesn't mean I should never turn another horse out into a field.

edfin

Visit site
SevernMistletoe - Foxes are wild so how do you know that they don't die of Salmonella or from ruptured stomachs!

Even soft chicken bones can become stuck if they are not chewed properly and lots of dogs just swallow things whole.

Ann does accept that it was an accident - but one that she is not prepared to have happen again. She, like lots of other dog owners, prefers to be safe than sorry. My dogs are too precious to me to take the chance.

When my friend took her staffy X to the vet, she told him that dogs and foxes in the wild eat raw meat and bones. The vet replied, and I quote, 'Yes they do but they don't live long', unquote.

Whether or not to feed bones is entirely your own decision. I am only trying to point out the dangers.

sloulou

Azerbaijan (or London and Suffolk - maybe...)
Visit site
Maral - my Vet is in favour of people feeding raw bones to dogs... So, I guess even amounst Vets there are differences of opinions on this.

I feed mine raw chicken wings. They are soft bones... The injury in the link was from a large bone wasn't it
confused.gif
Also agree with severmistletoe - it was probably a freak accident... but that is just MHO... I guess everyone has to make their own choices and feed what they think is best for their dogs.

edfin

Visit site
WidgeTidings - there will always be differing opinion on this, and every other, subject and as I said it is up to the owner to decide what they think is best for their dogs. I know lots of people whoc feed bones and think nothing of it but from hearing about Ann and my other friend's experiences, I am not taking any chances.

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
SevernMistletoe - Foxes are wild so how do you know that they don't die of Salmonella or from ruptured stomachs!

Even soft chicken bones can become stuck if they are not chewed properly and lots of dogs just swallow things whole.

Ann does accept that it was an accident - but one that she is not prepared to have happen again. She, like lots of other dog owners, prefers to be safe than sorry. My dogs are too precious to me to take the chance.

When my friend took her staffy X to the vet, she told him that dogs and foxes in the wild eat raw meat and bones. The vet replied, and I quote, 'Yes they do but they don't live long', unquote.

Whether or not to feed bones is entirely your own decision. I am only trying to point out the dangers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I think my ex OH would come across them seeing as he goes digging (protecting game birds) every weekend!

Yes they do thats utter twaddle, foxes live on average 8 years (if not caught/shot/snared). Meat and bones are natural to dogs, wolves and foxes and I'm yet to see charlie dying mid dinner on a lamby or a chicken! Wolves in parks are fed raw and have you ever heard of this happening?

You carry on feeding rubbish and I'll carry on feeding raw!

edfin

Visit site
Severnmisletoe - No need getting nasty.

And by the way, I don't feed rubbish, I feed a balanced diet that my dogs like and thrive on.

Like I said above, people will always have differing opinions and if you think your's is best, then so be it. That doesn't mean that what everyone does or thinks is wrong.

severnmiles

Visit site
People are obsessed with thinking a dog needs a balanced diet. Apart from eating fruit off of bushes, wild dogs purely eat meat/protein so what is balanced about their diet? The funny thing is the majority of mnufactured dog foods contain less than 30%. I wouldn't feed my horses meat so I don't feed my dogs cereals.

We used to eat bones, hence many peoples appendixes bursting through lack of use, yet you never hear a nutritionalist saying we need bones as part of a so called balanced diet. What we orginally survived on is what our digestive systems are are built for, the Inuits and other tribes worldwide are fine examples. We and dogs have not evolved quickly enough to cope with digesting cereals hence so many dogs having an intolerence to it.

As I said, I'm not saying to everyone don't turn your horses out because look what happened to my 2y.o. Accidents are accidents and I doubt very much...that it was a chicken bone that got lodged.

sloulou

Azerbaijan (or London and Suffolk - maybe...)
Visit site
Talking of Foxes and bad foods....

I live in an urban area with lots of Foxes - we also have lots of chicken shops (yuk...) And lots of litter with chicken bones in lying around... So I guess the foxes eat the cooked chicken bones...

Does anyone know if there is a problem with foxes dying in urban areas through eating these types of things?

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
More helpfully (than my last post
grin.gif
) - there is a list of dangerous things for dogs:

here

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers Widget, I didn't know about liver but have some in the freezer for the dogs...I'll be careful how much I feed!

milor

Visit site
yep - feed my bunch raw including raw bones and a garlic capsule each every two weeks to prevent fleas - no ill effects yet !

edfin

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
People are obsessed with thinking a dog needs a balanced diet. Apart from eating fruit off of bushes, wild dogs purely eat meat/protein so what is balanced about their diet? The funny thing is the majority of mnufactured dog foods contain less than 30%. I wouldn't feed my horses meat so I don't feed my dogs cereals.

Why are you being so aggressive. You have your point of view and I have mine. We are each entitled to our own views. There is no right and wrong way of feeding dogs - I feed mine what I know the like (they won't eat raw meat). Millions feed raw, millions don't - it is up to the owner.

Now please go and take a chill pill. I only registered for this site yesterday, and you have been nothing but nasty just because I don't agree with you.

Blackhawk

sublimedesigns.moonfruit.com
Can we expand on the pears a bit? Is it just the pits? We have a pear tree that is dropping in our garden. I try to rake most of it up but one of my dogs will on the odd occasion have a chew. Usually one or two bites and it is left discarded.