For those actively looking to buy a horse - how hard is it now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
Haha I knew I wouldn’t get away with mentioning a new addition without a piccie for long! 😂

Excuse my terrible riding, I’ve been out of action for the best part of 15 months due to pregnancy/baby so I’m hideously unfit and seem to have misplaced my core 🙈

View attachment 119531
Awwww how gorgeous 🥰🥰🥰🥰

Jambarissa

Visit site
Quick check of my saved searches again - sensible cob so includes everything from the highly unschooled plod to some lovely show cobs. They're all just hanging around, none have sold, a few reduced by £500.

6 new ones and interestingly 3 of these appear to be sensibly priced to start with. It's giving me itchy fingers but I'm not quite ready to buy yet 😆

gallopingby

Visit site
I have just put down a deposit on a pony today subject to vetting. Interesting my vet has recommended x-raying as he is 5 and he says for young horses it is more important as they have not done enough to know if they are going to up to work. For older horses who have been in work for years without problems less inclined to x-ray.
Oh SO1 do you have news? 😀

IrishMilo

Visit site
Im not sure what area she is in but she does seem to have overheight connies in on a regular basis with good reviews

Looks bilaterally lame behind to me...

fetlock

Visit site
Julie Camacho has a nice little 15.1 mare fresh out of training if of interest to anyone looking for something like this.

Jambarissa

Visit site
Thought I'd update on my window shopping.

Of the horses I've bookmarked only 1 has sold or been delisted. They've all now dropped to a manageable price (one by 5k!) and to me they feel fair value if as described.

I have actively started looking now, me stable is available from next weekend 🤞

There's the greatest variety on Facebook so I've started there, my god its a faff. No one manages to put all of height/age/sex/location and they're not allowed to put price. I was initially put off because every ad would have a hundred people liking it and saying 'pm me' so I assume the horse will go then it's relisted a week later. Ive messaged a few, not one has got back to me! I might stick to horse quest, at least you get phone numbers on there.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Thought I'd update on my window shopping.

Of the horses I've bookmarked only 1 has sold or been delisted. They've all now dropped to a manageable price (one by 5k!) and to me they feel fair value if as described.

I have actively started looking now, me stable is available from next weekend 🤞

There's the greatest variety on Facebook so I've started there, my god its a faff. No one manages to put all of height/age/sex/location and they're not allowed to put price. I was initially put off because every ad would have a hundred people liking it and saying 'pm me' so I assume the horse will go then it's relisted a week later. Ive messaged a few, not one has got back to me! I might stick to horse quest, at least you get phone numbers on there.

Try a wanted advert, then you'll only get horses from people who want to sell. You'll get a lot offered to you that don't remotely match what you're asking for, but some will.

Jambarissa

Visit site
Agree, loads of old horses and quite a few that are shown doing a cross country that turn out to be 3.

I don't want to be agist in my search but given my age I'm thinking this should be my last purchase so I want one that is highly likely to be active for a good 10 years then a few more years of gentle hacking then care for him in his and my golden years. So really 10-12 is a maximum.

If I had my own land it'd be a very different story, I'd love to care for a bunch of golden oldies (this is my retirement plan when I'm rich)

MagicMelon

Visit site
Someone i know was going to view a welsh D at the weekend, done a little bit of prelim dressage but mainly hacked . 12k, already sold before she could view 😳🙈
Good grief! To me, thats an insane amount of money. I clearly havent kept up with the recent sale hikes. I used to buy project ponies for £500 and the most expensive horse Ive ever bought was £4,500. Such a shame the horse world is going back to only being for the rich again :(

stormox

Visit site
Such a shame the horse world is going back to only being for the rich again :(
Fair enough for good horses- it takes a lot of work to even do well at Prelim level. Or just get a foal on the ground costs 4k+ with mares keep, stud fee, foal keep etc.

But these prices are making everyone with an old crock or an unsound and not rideable horse put it on the market and sell for whatever they can get.

starbucker

Visit site
I've found a horse I actually like but the owner (i know personally) cant decide whether to sell or not. At what point do I move on? I can't take other seriously while the thought of this one sits in my mind any advice while I wait? Theres another locally who is definitely for sale but much greener.. Dont want to pass up on others while this one might fail a vetting potentially? Dilemma

Birker2020

Visit site
What annoys me is there are so many 20+ year old horses advertised "don't let his age put you off, plenty of life in him yet" or obviously unsound ones with videos carefully edited.
I suspect a lot of those whose prices are reduced have problems, or have failed a vet.
I noticed that in H&H magazine this week including a 20 yr old shetland stallion going for £100. Sad.

Reactions: JBM

neddy man

Visit site
I've found a horse I actually like but the owner (i know personally) cant decide whether to sell or not. At what point do I move on? I can't take other seriously while the thought of this one sits in my mind any advice while I wait? Theres another locally who is definitely for sale but much greener.. Dont want to pass up on others while this one might fail a vetting potentially? Dilemma
Wave REAL money under her nose

starbucker

Visit site
Wave REAL money under her nose
I have considered this the money is there waiting Id even throw in a bit extra to secure this horse - I know it well and see it everyday on the yard. So frustrating. Going to give it another week and make a hard money offer and see if it lands if not I'll have to let it go or I'll go mad

EDIT: It would help if she was a dragon on the ground and not the most affectionate horse Ive ever met

starbucker

Visit site
I don't think it fair to pressurise an owner to sell. It might be a really difficult decision , to part with a 'friend'.
Money isn't the be all and end all.
Give them time, or just ask politely and if they say no, respect it.
I do agree I think they are genuinely finding the decision hard and want to give them time. I wouldn't want to sell this horse either so completely understand if they do infact decide to keep!! and would of course respect if they come back with a no and move on. Patience is probably key here I'm not naturally a pushy person so find it hard but equally dont want to be pining for someone elses horse for the next 6 months on a maybe

stormox

Visit site
I do agree I think they are genuinely finding the decision hard and want to give them time. I wouldn't want to sell this horse either so completely understand if they do infact decide to keep!! and would of course respect if they come back with a no and move on. Patience is probably key here I'm not naturally a pushy person so find it hard but equally dont want to be pining for someone elses horse for the next 6 months on a maybe
Move on, you might find one you like better!
Or, it is possible she may not want to sell to YOU. If I was selling my horse I wouldn't want it on a yard where I could see every day. It would be just too painful

Last edited:

starbucker

Visit site
Move on, you might find one you like better!
Or, it is possible she may not want to sell to YOU. If I was selling my horse I wouldn't want it on a yard where I could see every day. It would be just too painful
Potentially, I know the seller fairly well so would like to think they would be upfront. I think you're right though I'll keep looking and whats meant to be will be, many thanks for input hard to be objective sometimes

Annagain

Visit site
Potentially, I know the seller fairly well so would like to think they would be upfront. I think you're right though I'll keep looking and whats meant to be will be, many thanks for input hard to be objective sometimes
Could you suggest a LWVTB? Letting him go when it's not permanent might be easier for her...and once he's gone temporarily, letting him go permanently might be easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.