Fosse Park Leicester horses

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
The RSPCA reckon they can't do anything cos there's been no neglect. Then what the heck is this?! :mad:

fc834221cf8cb00a2bdffbcbf8bcda75_zps8aaf4912.jpg

LaMooch

Visit site
There is an unhappy local on a facebook group who is annoyed that she has been reporting this for years and nothing done but now social media taken over and the wheels are set in motion and she not happy. Shouldn't taken this long but at least people are now listening

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
This is what an rspca spokesperson had to say about the situation...

“The location is not ideal due to recent flooding, but the horses are kept on a huge area of land and have areas of dry land they can move to freely. The owner attends and provides extra hay. [We] cannot just remove horses if there are no legal offences broken.”

Seriously? Nothing illegal about leaving a horse to die then leave its skeleton for however it takes to break down? Unbelievable. :mad3:

LaMooch

Visit site
I cant remember where I read it but I think because they had water and food they wouldn't act. This is where the law needs changing

1life

Visit site
I cant remember where I read it but I think because they had water and food they wouldn't act. This is where the law needs changing

Exactly - this is the part of the law that needs changing. There is no point ranting and raving over how useless certain charities are (although I doubt that will stop a load of charity bashing over this case). They still have to act within the law...and I am sure they find this frustrating and at times heart-breaking.

I know of a case where a father could not be charged for neglect, after leaving his 2 year old daughter alone all day when he went to work, because he had left her with sandwiches and drink. Preposterous, but true. The law is an ass at times, but a charity HAS TO work within it.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site

The law doesn't need changing - just upholding.

The Brewery that ownes the land have made a statement. And pressure is being put on them to act.

Ladyinred

Visit site

This is it in a nutshell. The fact that others on the scene have reported the hay as inedible bears no weight to the removal of the horses. Apparently it is so bad a couple were unable to identify it as hay or haylage!

The RSPCA have to act within the law and the law states if they have access to food and water then they are alright. The RSPCA, through their previous history, are now fallguys or scapegoats for all this, whereas in fact their hands are as tied as ours.

Did anyone else pick up that when the owner visited today with the hay he also said he had food for them? He did. One loaf of Tesco value bread between 20 - 30 horses!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
This is it in a nutshell. The fact that others on the scene have reported the hay as inedible bears no weight to the removal of the horses. Apparently it is so bad a couple were unable to identify it as hay or haylage!

You see, this is where I think that at times the RSPCA misinterpret the law.

Given the circumstances, food or no food, there is nothing within the law which would prevent the seizure of these animals.

Renvers

Visit site
I saw it on FB and shared/signed the petition here http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/60985

Hadn't been the horse in question was a rotted corpse, how on earth could someone allow that to happen, it is gruesome.

As good as it is to show this terrible situation, it would be worth putting a warning on the Thread title to prepare them before seeing a very dead horse

LaMooch

Visit site

The RSPCA have to act within the law and the law states if they have access to food and water then they are alright. The RSPCA, through their previous history, are now fallguys or scapegoats for all this, whereas in fact their hands are as tied as ours.

Did anyone else pick up that when the owner visited today with the hay he also said he had food for them? He did. One loaf of Tesco value bread between 20 - 30 horses!

And this is why the law needs changing

dogatemysalad

Visit site
But it doesn't. It just needs upholding.

Perhaps the campaigners trying to stop the RSPCA taking out private prosecutions against owners who neglect their animals should ask themselves who is going to protect the hundreds of horses in the same situation as the fosse park ones ?

Why not ask why the council has ignored the horses which have been there for years. or where has the WHW been ? Or perhaps Everards Brewery who owns the land and sees how these fields flood every single year.

This is not a new problem, the cobs have grazed that land for many years and the council and the police have turned a blind eye.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Moomin, this is a very serious issue, and the horses are in real trouble.

If you are anything to do with welfare, as you like to quietly imply please do what you can to help them.

If you're not and your only intention is to post misdirection I would ask you not too. Please.

Moomin1

Visit site
Moomin, this is a very serious issue, and the horses are in real trouble.

If you are anything to do with welfare, as you like to quietly imply please do what you can to help them.

If you're not and your only intention is to post misdirection I would ask you not too. Please.

I'm certainly not Amymay. I am asking how the horse died?

Without anyone knowing how it died, then we cannot say it was neglected. Perhaps it was pts humanely? The offence which is most obvious is the fact a carcass has been left to rot in a field. In which case trading standards are the people to deal in relation to this particular horse.

Certainly not trying to 'misdirect' anything - I am merely saying that we cannot jump to conclusions on the basis of a photograph showing a rotting carcass.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I'm certainly not Amymay. I am asking how the horse died?

Without anyone knowing how it died, then we cannot say it was neglected. Perhaps it was pts humanely? The offence which is most obvious is the fact a carcass has been left to rot in a field. In which case trading standards are the people to deal in relation to this particular horse.

Certainly not trying to 'misdirect' anything - I am merely saying that we cannot jump to conclusions on the basis of a photograph showing a rotting carcass.

Then I suggest you visit the facebook page.

Moomin1

Visit site
Moomin, the fact that it has been there long enough to decompose would pose issues to the welfare of the other horses in the same field.

Possibly true, but unfortunately it would have to be a vet that certifies that in order for any action to be taken.

justabob

Visit site
Very true shouldn't be left to decompose however it died, be natural causes or euthanasia

I think what I was trying to say was, if the owners thought it reasonable to leave a dead horse to decompose in the same field as its living equines, it does beg the question about the welfare of the living.