Foster/rehoming with not neutered dogs

JBM

Visit site
I’ve been trying to foster a dog but many rescues refuse as my dogs aren’t neutered.
Does anyone know the logic and research behind this?
I have the space to keep everyone separate until they’re comfortable

JBM

Visit site
I completely agree that males can be aggressive but I do wish they would allow a meet and greet 😞
I’ve now got all the other requirements but I don’t like neutering my males due to a few studies that found they’re more likely to get cancer if they’re neutered.

inandout

Visit site
You cud do private fostering and just look for new homes. But its more risky without the rescue back up. have you approached a few different rescues, they might have different policies I think you have spitz type dogs. So different experience to most peoples which might be handy.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I completely agree that males can be aggressive but I do wish they would allow a meet and greet 😞
I’ve now got all the other requirements but I don’t like neutering my males due to a few studies that found they’re more likely to get cancer if they’re neutered.
They won't want you telling prospective owners that!

JBM

Visit site
You cud do private fostering and just look for new homes. But its more risky without the rescue back up. have you approached a few different rescues, they might have different policies I think you have spitz type dogs. So different experience to most peoples which might be handy.
I have a husky a Samoyed and a dobie..all rounder home 😂
I will do some research around private fostering!

JBM

Visit site
That might be another reason why you’re not successful- the breeds you have.
Maybe! Unfortunately didn’t even get that far. They never asked what breeds they were
I was looking for a husky as they’re seem to be so so many in rescues around ireland so I thought having sled dogs may be an advantage! But they may have some negative associations with wolfie..who is actually the quietest

SusieT

Visit site
I would say with three large un neutered males there is a significant chance your household is not the right house for fostering. It would need to be the right dog to fit into that. And also, if you have 3 large dogs of your own you probably don't have as much time as you think to integrate them. Sorry-I think they are right. But you could leave the offer open and contact large breed e.g. husky specific rescues as they may be most likely to be receptive to multi dog households.

JBM

Visit site
No I understand it would be a specific type of dog and I have been looking at husky rescues and big breeds.
One is female but I honestly don’t understand the difference between a neutered and unneutered. If they had behavioural problems or weren’t accepting of other dogs I wouldn’t even offer foster and if a meet and greet wasn’t successful obviously nothing you can do but it’s the fact you’re flat out refused before giving any further details
They don’t know how many dogs I have, if they’re male or female or the size of the dog.
I just asked if my dog being unneutered would be an issue and they said they don’t rehome with unneutered dogs.

It’s just disheartening as I would love to be able to get more dogs out of rescues as I see a lot of posts of dogs not coping well in kennels

sarah.oxford

Visit site
I was lucky to be allowed to foster my bitch, with a view to adopt, even though I had an entire male. She had just been spayed.
She's been here 11 years and my original dog has passed away, and I now have another entire male.
The rescue was a small one, that has since increased in size and updated it's policies on rehoming/fostering with entire dogs in the home.
But it's definitely worth asking around, especially the smaller rescues that might be more flexible.

Esmae

Visit site
I would understand that but the foster dogs are neutered already so they lack the ability
Yours may well be neutered but neighbouring dogs may not. You know what they say "where there's a willy there's a way" I am guessing that is the reason.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
I’ve been trying to foster a dog but many rescues refuse as my dogs aren’t neutered.
Does anyone know the logic and research behind this?
I have the space to keep everyone separate until they’re comfortable

I'm guessing that it might have to do with that they've simply committed themselves too much to that A) Testosterone in intact dogs makes them more reactive, and aggressive, so every dog becomes happier, and easier to own by being neutered, and now they can't adjust to newer research saying e.g. that neutering can in some cases increase anxiety which can lead to increased aggression, so maybe it doesn't suit all dogs to be neutered after all.
And B) I feel that some rescues have put themselves in an It's us against them situation, labelling owners having a not neutered/spayed dog and/or bitch as irresponsible, period. How could they use an irresponsible owner as a foster home?

But maybe I'm wrong. Whatever their reasons are, all you can do is try to let various rescues know that you're available as a foster home, and hope that you find one which is interested.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Yours may well be neutered but neighbouring dogs may not. You know what they say "where there's a willy there's a way" I am guessing that is the reason.

I think you misread it, as @JBM have already clarified, the rescue dog would be neutered so can't reproduce with anyone. It can happen to anyone, or, well, I don't know about others, but it has at least happened to me more than once. I especially remember a time when I misread a post were someone called their horse Tractor as them talking about a real tractor. My God, how misplaced my reply looked. 😂

Jenko109

Visit site
I have found this with rescues. That some will not even consider you if you have an entire dog in the house.

I find it baffling tbh. It does not even seem to be on a case by case basis.

I have a sweet as honey entire whippet. Would not say boo to a goose. Jolly, polite little angel piece.

What could they possibly be concerned about?