Found a cat

chaps89

Visit site
Still with us!
We've put more signs up now and he's on animal search UK.
He had an accident yesterday, but then used the litter tray last night so that's good progress.
He does ask to go out, very politely, but that is followed by toiletting, other than that he seems very content to be in.

We've decided to keep him in for the week now, to try and give someone proper chance to notice he's gone/get back from holiday and see he's not been home/put posters up etc.
(I'm a bit more inclined to let him out for the toilet when he asks, with his paper collar on, so he doesn't get distressed, but OH pointed out if we'd left him at the vets like they suggested, he'd have had to deal with that. As he's otherwise well looked after and safe here, and we have a greater chance of getting him home by keeping him in, given as every time we let him out he comes back anyway, I've let OH win on that one)

luckyoldme

Visit site
Following with intrest..i. going to be gutted for you if an owner comes forward.
The paper collar thing is fantastic!

chaps89

Visit site
Not sure if this will work?
Excuse the running commentary, for the sake of OH bank balance I hope the owner does turn up, for the sake of his mental health I quite hope they don't, he's very smitten.
I have told him not to get too attached, he assures me he won't, and that if he does go back to his owners it's ok to have bought lots of stuff, ready for when we get the kittens.

chaps89

Visit site
I’m just putting it out there that Tiger and Lillycat go out and Huffle and Squirrel stay in... it can be done ?.
How?!
And no, we can't have 3 ? I'm just worried about him staying in or having enough company as and when we return to work, he seems to be a sociable little thing.

I’m sorry but that’s another stray not going anywhere ? He is absolutely in love with that cat.

He's got it bad hasn't he ?

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
How?!
And no, we can't have 3 ? I'm just worried about him staying in or having enough company as and when we return to work, he seems to be a sociable little thing.

He's got it bad hasn't he ?

I have a no cats out of the front door when I’m coming in rule, the two outdoor ones I let out and in as requested, I don’t have a catflap.

Huffle is pretty good for staying in, I do let her out of the back (I’ve cat proofed), or supervised out at the front. fingers crossed it seems to be working so far! I have four of the blighters now, three is a great number ??.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Whatever toy he's playing with, it obviously needed a lot of attention. Nice scratch post, but I couldn't help but notice that the fabric parts are very black, and the current cat is partly white.

I have to admit to not being an enthusiastic cleaner, hoovering once per week is my max, sometimes less. I used to have a nice floor to ceiling grey cat tree, the black/white/brown cat hairs, and other dirt usually blended in quite well. Then my dad moved it to be able to change glass in a window, and managed to break it.
Found a new floor to ceiling cat tree to a reduced price, but black, and I have to say that white cat hair, parts of claws, and other dirt shows much more. I keep hoping they will wear it out so I will have reason to replace it, but I've had it for well over 5 years, and it looks like it will last for many more years.

Anyhow, we've had cats where one or two have gone out, but one to two others haven't. Ditto HufflyPuffly, it can be done.

Shady

Visit site
I agree it can be done but when you work full time it's not easy or ideal and 'could ' create tension between cats, added to which there is no vaccine for fiv, so the one going out could in theory bring it to the indoor cats.( small risk , but still..)
Not saying Chaps shouldn't do it, the cat is beautiful and clearly happy but there is a downside to some cats being more independent and others not. I have done it myself and I wouldn't personally do it again if I worked full time.

ETA. Just read Huffles post and this works as she has proofed the back, so if proofing can be done it's not a problem as everybody can go out into a safe outdoor space and you just have to watch the front door and windows.

Last edited:

chaps89

Visit site
I'm really not keen on the idea of having 1 indoor, 1 outdoor tbh.
We could cat proof the courtyard so they* could go in and out of that via the window when we're in.
My OH is not so keen on that idea though and thinks letting them out in the day and having a cat flap in and out of the garden would be ok so they can roam - not for Devon kitties but for this one.
I don't know, lots to think about anyway. Personally I just want house cats and I'm not sure this cat is a house cat but you can see how taken my OH is.
Trying not to stress about it for now until he's been here a bit longer and we can work out if he has an owner or not.
(*they being open at the moment as to whether it is this cat or future cats/kittens)

He's off to the vets today.
He isn't toiletting anywhere near often enough, and today he seemed to choose to go to the litter tray (big progress from asking to go out first) but then when he got near it, he seemed very stressed, backed away and still hasn't been.
He seems well in himself, that and the constant licking of himself aside but obviously we don't want to risk a UTI.

chaps89

Visit site
We put soil (compost) in it to start and it didn't seem to make any difference originally.
It has world's best in at the moment, but I can swap back to more compost.
I must have worried him somehow yesterday as he used it fine then (although even then he wasn't going as often as he should) and today he goes into the bathroom where the tray is, but gets really low to the ground, slinky then stops and legs it :(
I do wish I had pushed harder to let him out with his paper collar on, I feel like we've caused this by insisting he stay in.
OH is adamant we followed professional advice, if he'd been in a vets he'd have had the same issue and also that there's no guarantee that if he's outside he's still toiletting anyway.
All sensible, logical points, but I just feel really bad.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Is the tray open or does it have a cover? I'd try changing the type of tray. Some have a flap and I usually take that off because we only have one cat who'll use a covered tray with a flap.

Maybe try moving the tray somewhere else too. A different location might make him more comfortable.

chaps89

Visit site
It has a lid but we left it off after the first day.
There's a bigger tray in the bathroom, which is where he had his accident/seems to head to when it seems like he needs to go.
We also have a smaller/shallower tray which is in the lounge/kitchen (that I bought very expensive small animal shavings for - wow what a mark up!) Which we've tried shavings and world's best in but he totally ignores that one. (His food/water is also in that room, but at the opposite side. Unfortunately our flat is only 3 rooms - bedroom, en-suite bathroom, lounge/kitchen, so nowhere else for it! And why 3 cats would be a no go!)
Sorry, not trying to shoot down ideas, really open to anything at the moment, but think/hope we covered that one?

Shady

Visit site
Chaps. Cats can literally go all day and not need a pee. Or all night for that matter. I often get up and there's nothing in the box by any of them ( 3). I wouldn't worry about the frequency or lack of too much.
I would put ordinary earth from the garden, not compost as it smells weird , has a different texture maybe.

I get what your OH is saying but it's not the same as he would be in a cage with no choice.

He's probably just not used to going in them and would prefer an alternative, which would be outside so he's getting a little stressed.
I would either ignore him, try some earth or sand or let him out.

Shady

Visit site
If you get an electronic cat flap you can set which cats are able to use it.
Iv'e tried these and it resulted in chaos at the cat flap !!!
The indoor cats would start digging the hell out of it trying to open it and then given that Siamese are pretty sneaky they would squeeze through alongside or sort of underneath the outdoor cat or bully it to go as fast as possible to get out too. It was quite a few years ago so perhaps they have changed now ..........!

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
You say he doesn't go as often as he should, but in general the average cat poops once per day, sometimes two, and pees two or three times per day. And that is the average, sometimes it is less than that, as Shady already have mentioned, sometimes a little more.

If he goes less than that, is it both pooping, and peeing that he does less? If it is only peeing, and since he's a male, it is possible that he have a bladder stone making it painful to pee. Males have a smaller "tube" from the bladder, than compared to females, so sometimes a gravel that a female cat could be able to pee out, might cause problem for a male.

I just want to mention it so that you're aware about that there can be another cause behind his reluctance to using the litter box, besides the usual wrong type of litter box, wrong type of cat litter, wrong placement of litter box (as in next to food + water), and/or only used to doing his business outdoors.

chaps89

Visit site
So he pooh'd on Sunday evening, the time before that was Sunday morning. That's all.
Wee wise he wee'd on the floor (massive puddle) Sunday afternoon, then again yesterday lunchtime in the tray, again a very long/large wee. Both very strong smelling but look like normal wee colour, not brown/reddish.
So he hasn't pooh'd in coming up to 48 hours and 24 hours for a wee.
It's a UTI we're most worried about as I know these can be bad for male cats.
I'll try dirt from the garden, we have 1 pathetic flowerbed I can probably scrape some up from, I hadn't realised that about compost, thankyou.
He eats a pouch of wet food am and pm and has a tiny handful of biscuits available which he picks at. He's always happy to eat but doesn't pester for food.
He seems well in himself, very calm, very happy for a fuss or to be left on the sofa snoozing.

Shady

Visit site
Mmmm, ok he's holding both in as he really isn't happy about his toilet arrangement.
That's not an enormous amount of food but i'd expect a poo for sure today and rather than worry about an infection i'd concentrate on him doing that. ( do take him to the vet if you are genuinely worried ) He will be getting moisture from the food so possibly isn't drinking much anyway but you want to avoid constipation and dehydration. Cats are a bit weird sometimes and can reduce fluid intake if they are unsettled with the toilet situation
Honestly Chaps If he won't use a dirt box today I'd let him out.
I get that feeling your OH is rather smitten with him and if he goes out he might disappear and not come back?

I now have visions of you digging feverishly and chucking plants everywhere. xxx

chaps89

Visit site
OH has taken him to the vet now as he's worried.
I agree, I think he's just really upset by the toilet arrangement and would rather not go than go inside, poor lad.
He doesn't seem to drink alot but he has a bowl of water and one of those cat water fountains available at all times, so he has choice and as you say he'll get some fluid by the pouches.
This is the one year we've not done anything with the garden so no fear of upsetting any attempts at flowers thankfully ?

I think OH is worried about letting him out as a) we won't know if he does actually go to the toilet (I suspect he will but obviously won't be able to prove it) and b) if he doesn't come back we don't know if that's because he found his owners or has gone straying, then if owners do come forward we won't have him anymore. Obviously the paper collar helps with that but there's no guarantee either whoever finds him will contact us or that it hasn't come off itself.
I'm hoping the vet will say he's physically ok and that we will just have to let him outside to do his business.
Not sure how well we can manage that long term (no cat flap options from inside to outside as no back door and front door leads into communal hallway) and we are supposed to be going away next weekend for 2 nights, but we will just have to see.
It helps writing it all down, I hadn't realised how stressful I've been finding it :-/
It's lovely having a cat around again (really really lovely!), but mine have all been toilet trained/house cats already and they've been 'mine' as bought/adopted, the not knowing if he's here to stay/when he might go plus the responsibility of him being someone else's cat is quite unsettling!

Shady

Visit site
I get that totally Chaps and your situation is unusual and not easy at all. It's possible he's temporary and you are trying to do the right thing now, rather than setting something up long term.
There is always a period of adjustment and settling for any adult cat coming into a new home. Sometimes they've never even used a dirt box, except when tiny. Cats are normally very clean animals and i'm pretty certain he doesn't want to pee on the floor but equally he's not happy with the dirt box at the moment. Give him time and i'm sure he will be. The only other choice is to let him out and hope he comes back. I understand your stress completely but you can only do your best given the situation . xxxx

You could have a cat flap put in glass if you haven't got a door option?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
His teeth are good so I'd say he's an adolescent/young adult too, he weighs 4kg, and he has definitely got the look of an oriental in his face shape/eyes/ears. I'd be surprised if no-one is looking for him, he's definitely not an out and out stray.

We have called more vets in the neighbouring towns today (bigger chain ones rather than the local indepedants) No-one has reported him missing, but we've logged him and left our details. We've also put 4 signs up in the local shops/newsagents which cover the 4 directions he could have come from, and posted on a lost pets FB page.
So hopefully we'll get a resolution either way.

This is the page with the paper collars on (you have to scroll down a bit) They do ask for us to be called if he's found or owned, which would be the best outcome really :)
https://www.cats.org.uk/help-and-advice/lost-found-and-feral-cats/found-a-cat

Plan is to keep him in tonight and in the morning to give someone a chance to notice he's gone and let him out with paper collar tomorrow afternoon, which is when he usually asks to go out and see what happens (presuming no-one has contacted us before then anyway)
I'll definitely keep the thread updated.

I'm still holding out for 2 devon kittens personally but it all depends on what happens with this chap and if we can find him a suitable home if no one comes forwards for him/he doesn't disappear when we let him out. I wouldn't have a kitten and him, it wouldn't work as you say.
I said to OH we will cross the bridge of what to do if he's still here/hanging around and we've heard nothing, this time next week!
also try your local cats protection, the local vets not just immediately local and rspca in case someone reported him lost also, pet missing register. Soi handsome and cute hope it is a happy ending for him, why don't people microchip their cats, such a small cost for such a big reward.

chaps89

Visit site
Shady - thanks for being so understanding and encouraging.
It's silly - we have a lovely little patio courtyard that is completely enclosed/private, which our bedroom backs onto. But they just put regular windows in, not a French door, so you can only access it from the outside of the house. So a cat flap would only work if we put a shelf on the other side/outside of the window for him to jump on and off. Not overly sure I can see the landlord going for it unfortunately! I think the wall might be a more discreet option, but again in a rental property I'm not sure how feasible it is. Definitely something I want to explore once we know what we're doing in the long run. (We do have it on the lease that we're allowed cats here btw)

I luv cow parsley - He is reported missing with 2 local independent vet practices and 3 large chain practices in the neighbouring towns, so we've gone a bit further afield :) we also registered him as missing with cats protection and on the animal search website as well, just incase he somehow got here from much further away. Will try RSPCA too though, thanks. A microchip really could have made all the difference here!

Luckyoldme - my old cat would have been the fat cat in that picture ?

He had a clean bill of health from the vet, no UTI.
He has got some sores from over grooming as a result of the fleas so we have some isaderm to apply.
They double checked for a microchip and nothing.
The vet thinks he's about 1 or 2 years old and remarked he seemed very settled, friendly and not at all stressed.
Therefore they think the toiletting is just him needing to learn about it and we just need to be patient.
Typically, upon getting back from the vets he did both a pee and a poo in the litter tray ?

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
Easier since it is my own home, and I don't need a landlord's permission, but I took out the glass in a window downstairs, put a greenhouse glass substitute plastic panel there instead, and put in a cat flap in that. If we need to sell this house one day, we could just remove the window frame again, and pay to have new glass installed in it.
And then there is a small step outside the window.

Shady

Visit site
We did that too once FL !
I am pretty sure you could make something to go outside the window if you put a cat flap in . My friend has a little platform and sloping plank for hers.
My only concern would be the cat coming and going all the time through your bedroom, which could get to be a problem unless you kept him in at night and locked out of there or blocked the flap. I have done this too. It can work depending on the cats character.

Very pleased to hear that he is in good health and has used the dirt box,,,,,,yay. xxxxx

Bradsmum

Visit site
I'm sorry but I'm really uncomfortable with taking this cat in having had a cat that liked to wander but always came back when he was ready. One of our neighbours encouraged him in, feeding him and keeping him in. This cat does not look uncared for (apart from the fleas). He seems house trained and not used to a litter tray and may just be confused. It took us a long time to find our cat. Spoke to the neighbour who was very drippy about it but once she stopped feeding him, he stopped visiting her and eating his food at home. He still took himself off once or twice a year but returned home and settled down for months - that was just him and he lived for 15 years.