Found a cat

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Rosie is such a lovely name :)
We have voiles on the windows as well as curtains. Luckily the curtains are still intact, the voiles are suffering a bit now though!
This is the first year we have space for a Christmas tree as 1 of the drum kits is at a friend's, but I have refrained as I can't see it lasting very long ?

He has learnt to jump on the kitchen counters. Not by jumping on them, but by climbing up the oven gloves which hang on the oven door handle. Monkey or cat?!

I think we are getting there. They curl up and sleep together alot now. Frank is getting better at leaving Stanley alone now if he doesn't want to play and better at subjecting himself for a groom.
Stanley loves to groom us all - for Frank it's usually his ears, and, um, his bottom that get cleaned ?

He now knows that scrounging isn't allowed and can stay in the room whilst we eat but we've not quite mastered feeding them in the same room yet - they would both rather eat the others food ?

Stanley's turn for clean ears
View attachment 60785

He's very good at keeping me company and snuggling whilst I work
View attachment 60786
Just adorable ?.

Shady

Visit site
What a fantastic update Chaps. Just perfect. I was pretty confident that all would be well between them but seeing them together like that has really made me smile.:):) So happy for you all. It's a really nice feeling when things pan out between cats
Both are gorgeous but I do have a super soft spot for Frank as he's clearly an excellent gremkitty xxxxx

chaps89

Visit site
Figured an update might be due :)

So Frank has had his little boy bits snipped. Bounced back fine and you'd never know any different - my OH on the other hand was completely traumatised by it all! He (Frank, not OH!) Is growing like a weed and now weighs 2.2kg and is all legs. If anyone has any tips for keeping him off the kitchen counters please do share, I've never had a cat quite so brazen about it.

Stanley has had a referral vet appointment to have his heart checked after the local vets picked up a murmur, luckily there's nothing to worry about. He's on a proper exclusion diet now as poor thing does not stop grooming himself and still has sores. It sadly isn't agreeing with his tummy very well though so we will have to see how that goes.
He's just starting to come out of his shell and is back to sitting on OH lap in the last week or so (still won't sit with me. He does now tolerate a daily cuddle for about 30 seconds though.)

And of course, photos
Screenshot_20210119-210019_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210119-211442_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210119-211506_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210119-211522_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210101-223451_Gallery.jpg

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Both of them look gorgeous! Sorry to hear about that the problem with Stanley's over grooming continues, but zero sympathy for OH's boy bits snipping trauma (okay, I admit, I giggled at reading it).

About the kitchen counter, after over 35 years of cat owning, I will readily admit that I consider it a success when we've managed to teach our cats to avoid the kitchen counter when people is in that room. Most of them avoided/avoids the kitchen counter also at other times, because they didn't like that when they've gotten caught on it, they were shouted at.

But with a few, like Berta, it went in one ear, and out the other. If nobody was in the room, and she smelled something interesting... In fact, with Berta it was enough that she spotted a mug, cup, or glass with fluid inside it, for her to want to try sticking down a paw, or her head, to try drinking from it.

I also tried rattling a can with pebbles/something inside, and squirting her with water, which made her jump down, but maybe an hour later we could sit in the living room, and hear her be up on/jump down from the kitchen counter again.
Smell deterrents only worked as long as the smell deterrent was there (citrus, red pepper).

Covering the counter with sticky tape never seemed like a good idea, because how are you then going to be able to use it some hours later?
Wrapping with aluminium foil is something that has worked best for me when we had a cat that started to pee outside the litter box (the aluminium supposedly makes the pee squirt up on them, which clean cats dislikes), so I didn't bother trying that either.

The last suggestion which I've heard about in later years, is putting them in a time-out for 20 minutes in for example the bathroom. Perhaps I'll try that if I get a new cat like Berta one day.

Fingers crossed, hope you get on top of Stanley's over grooming soon.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Both of them look gorgeous! Sorry to hear about that the problem with Stanley's over grooming continues, but zero sympathy for OH's boy bits snipping trauma (okay, I admit, I giggled at reading it).

About the kitchen counter, after over 35 years of cat owning, I will readily admit that I consider it a success when we've managed to teach our cats to avoid the kitchen counter when people is in that room. Most of them avoided/avoids the kitchen counter also at other times, because they didn't like that when they've gotten caught on it, they were shouted at.

But with a few, like Berta, it went in one ear, and out the other. If nobody was in the room, and she smelled something interesting... In fact, with Berta it was enough that she spotted a mug, cup, or glass with fluid inside it, for her to want to try sticking down a paw, or her head, to try drinking from it.

I also tried rattling a can with pebbles/something inside, and squirting her with water, which made her jump down, but maybe an hour later we could sit in the living room, and hear her be up on/jump down from the kitchen counter again.
Smell deterrents only worked as long as the smell deterrent was there (citrus, red pepper).

Covering the counter with sticky tape never seemed like a good idea, because how are you then going to be able to use it some hours later?
Wrapping with aluminium foil is something that has worked best for me when we had a cat that started to pee outside the litter box (the aluminium supposedly makes the pee squirt up on them, which clean cats dislikes), so I didn't bother trying that either.

The last suggestion which I've heard about in later years, is putting them in a time-out for 20 minutes in for example the bathroom. Perhaps I'll try that if I get a new cat like Berta one day.

Fingers crossed, hope you get on top of Stanley's over grooming soon.

I'd also love to know how to stop a cat counter surfing! My parents ragdolls do it but they at least have the decency to mostly just sit on the side telling you to feed them (apart from when Poppy lifted the mesh cover my mum had put over the freshly cooked gammon and made off with it!!!!!)

AC however is terrible for it, he's been known to jump up as you're in the middle of chopping chicken etc, diving under your arm. How he hasn't ended up as sliced as the chicken as I instinctively wave my arm which is holding a sharp knife ill never know!

You CANNOT leave ANY food on the side unattended or AC will be there. Hes especially partial to uncooked pasta and brocoli!

We tried foil, AC showed complete and utter contempt for it, walking all over it and knocking it to the floor

What I've found "helps" is an empty wrapping paper cardboard tube that the rolls of wrapping paper come on. I will smack the side with it (as yes sometimes bop AC with it, before anyone says I'm an evil vile cat abuser it does not hurt I've smacked myself with it before) and drive AC from the kitchen. I call it my Cat Stick

AC now rarely enters the kitchen if I'm in there cooking, unless I open a tin as it sounds like cat food, instead he sits just behind the door bar, relatively meek and cowed

Interesting re "time outs" I have been known to march up to the loo with him tucked under my arm, and he gets to sit shut in the bathroom with me while I pee

He respects OH far less and is in there constantly trying to jump up- I walked in as he was leaning back to leap, shouted no, AC scarpered! Whether it's because OH feeds them (AC actually made me cry last time I fed them as I was trying to get ready for work, tried to do it in the fridge as AC jumps leaps up on the counter and dives into the tin and I worry about him slicing his mouth open) and AC got his hands on the end of the fridge and pulled the bowl to the floor, PD is on different food which doesn't agree with his tummy so I'm trying to pick up the food, deal with the empty tin and keep PD back all while needing to go to work!!) However I like to believe its respect for me that he doesn't enter while I cook.

As soon as you're out the kitchen AC is back on the unit. I'll sometimes get up to drive him off but I'd never sit down otherwise so just give up if I'm not in the kitchen

Chaps, Frank's fur looks like it's really starting to curl, what does it feel like? I also had no sympathy for AC on removal of boy bits! Is he noisy like a siamese or are they quite quiet?

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
To be honest I’ve never bothered trying to keep them off the counter. It’s a losing stressful battle. I never prepare food directly on the counter anyway I use a board and have multiple ones. A bottle of spray bleach and a cloth kept handy can quickly go over counters to keep them hygienic.

Never poisoned myself or anyone else.

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
I'd also love to know how to stop a cat counter surfing! My parents ragdolls do it but they at least have the decency to mostly just sit on the side telling you to feed them (apart from when Poppy lifted the mesh cover my mum had put over the freshly cooked gammon and made off with it!!!!!)

AC however is terrible for it, he's been known to jump up as you're in the middle of chopping chicken etc, diving under your arm. How he hasn't ended up as sliced as the chicken as I instinctively wave my arm which is holding a sharp knife ill never know!

You CANNOT leave ANY food on the side unattended or AC will be there. Hes especially partial to uncooked pasta and brocoli!

We tried foil, AC showed complete and utter contempt for it, walking all over it and knocking it to the floor

What I've found "helps" is an empty wrapping paper cardboard tube that the rolls of wrapping paper come on. I will smack the side with it (as yes sometimes bop AC with it, before anyone says I'm an evil vile cat abuser it does not hurt I've smacked myself with it before) and drive AC from the kitchen. I call it my Cat Stick

AC now rarely enters the kitchen if I'm in there cooking, unless I open a tin as it sounds like cat food, instead he sits just behind the door bar, relatively meek and cowed

Interesting re "time outs" I have been known to march up to the loo with him tucked under my arm, and he gets to sit shut in the bathroom with me while I pee

He respects OH far less and is in there constantly trying to jump up- I walked in as he was leaning back to leap, shouted no, AC scarpered! Whether it's because OH feeds them (AC actually made me cry last time I fed them as I was trying to get ready for work, tried to do it in the fridge as AC jumps leaps up on the counter and dives into the tin and I worry about him slicing his mouth open) and AC got his hands on the end of the fridge and pulled the bowl to the floor, PD is on different food which doesn't agree with his tummy so I'm trying to pick up the food, deal with the empty tin and keep PD back all while needing to go to work!!) However I like to believe its respect for me that he doesn't enter while I cook.

As soon as you're out the kitchen AC is back on the unit. I'll sometimes get up to drive him off but I'd never sit down otherwise so just give up if I'm not in the kitchen

Chaps, Frank's fur looks like it's really starting to curl, what does it feel like? I also had no sympathy for AC on removal of boy bits! Is he noisy like a siamese or are they quite quiet?
Your ‘time outs’ with AC in the loo made me laugh ?!

Shady

Visit site
Pft to keeping cats off the worktops. Can't be arsed anymore after 35 years of trying because my mum nagged and nagged about how unhygienic it was. Bless her she looked after them when I had about 8 and had to go abroad suddenly with work. She was completely traumatised from constantly finding them sprawled out on the worktops or hanging off the sides of the gas boiler and freezer. Think she emptied the local shop of Dettol spray!

Frank is looking amazing. He is as beautiful as I knew he would be and i'm delighted that him and Stanley are good friends. Yay to the bits coming off too.

Sorry to read he's been over grooming still Chaps. Is he still flaky? you mentioned his heart and if I put that with his coat/ grooming issue I would check his thyroid just to be on the safe side or at the least run it past your vet.
Out of interest what is he eating? there are so many choices now, perhaps try another.
I know from experience that sometimes it can take a long frustrating time to get diet right. Iv'e got one that can't tolerate fish and one that absolutely can't eat fresh chicken.

Anyway both are looking lovely and I admit that every time I see Frank I really want a Rex too to add to my Gremkitties.
I'll do an update tomorrow on them.
Thanks for yours . I love seeing them:) xxx

chaps89

Visit site
Oh gosh, I'm not sure I could cope if he was on the counter all the time or whilst we were doing food prep :eek:
He just seems to like exploring, he has lots of cat furniture all up the walls but no surface is safe! It does sound like @Crazy_cat_lady has nailed it with AC though.
But I think Frank is like Berta - in one ear out the other!

Frank's coat is softer/thicker now than it used to be but he's more fuzzy I'd say, whereas Stanley is really soft.

He isn't actually very vocal unless it's tea time. You can have a conversation with him then! The rest of the time he's usually quite quiet.

Frank now comes to call and plays fetch (we're working on the retrieve part, he's not got that bit yet!) He's a smart cookie for sure.

Stanley was on a single source of protein hypoallergenic diet (lamb based) but that made no difference so the vets suggested we try one of the hydralised diets so he's on Hills z/d at the moment.
His skin and coat actually seem very good, no flakiness and he doesn't seem overly itchy, he just doesn't stop grooming himself (or Frank, or us, or anything else soft that stays long enough for him to groom!) And he has his sores on his front legs still. Although bizarrely he doesn't seem to overly groom those.
I will keep thyroid in mind, thankyou.

Here's a bit of Sunday morning fun. I swear we are worse at pets at home than most horsey people in tack shops. I went in for some food this morning as I was a bit late doing the online order, and somehow came out with (another) new toy.

This was last week. OH made a cat box as a safe space for Stanley to get away from Frank. Well I don't think I've ever seen Stanley in it and OH finally gave in and took the microchip cat flap off so Frank can use it and it now forms part of his obstacle course. Or as per this video, stealth attacks. Excuse the mess on the table. I'm not sure why the video is fuzzy either, sorry.

Last edited:

Shady

Visit site
:):D:D. Looking good Chaps xx
Rob now wants one of those toys for the Grems AND a Rex ( his mum used to breed Cornish Rex).

I spent ages the other day making a 3 box activity center for mine and they are having so much fun with it, however the most fun they seem to have is seeing how fast they can go from the cat litter box in our old bedroom, down the hall, through the kitchen and into the front room where they fly up the stairs and into the attic which runs the whole length of the house. Right to the end they go , onto the bed, fly off the other side and back as fast as possible to the starting point . Little monkeys !

chaps89

Visit site
Well Mr Banjaks has another litter on the way... ;)
I definitely don't think I can see life without a Devon in it anymore, I adore him (and Stanley too of course. But Stanley is very much my OH cat, Frank is an attention whore so anyone will do, though I do seem to be his human ? )

It sounds like yours are having great fun and that you've got a fab house for them to tear about in!

Stanley had a go. I'm so happy. He was so playful when he arrived and really shut down when Frank came so it's lovely to see him getting his personality back. (Excuse me doing laundry in the background!)

Cloball

Visit site
My old boy used to compulsively clean until his toe beans were red and angry as a stress response when his pal died. It did settle eventually but he was always cleaning weird things ... Your hand, the sofa, his new friend he adopted. I also have a maladaptive grooming response so I can relate ? like owner like pet.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
I can't make up my mind about if you're just another spam bot @vadega85 , posting a link to a Cat training guide you have to pay to get access to, or if you're really a human who just happened to make a first post that sounded exactly like something a spam bot could post.

I strongly suspect the first, but just in case it's the later, this is a friendly reminder that adding a bit more info showing you've actually read through the thread, and making a few more replies on this, and other threads would help making people realise that you're not a spam bot only trying to advertise/promote something.