Found stray dog... We might be having him!

ponyparty

Visit site
Well I have to admit he would never have made it to the pound with me (which I know is illegal of course!) - he is lovely, I just adore the older ones, best of luck to you all xx

Well, the thought did cross my mind. Especially as I pledged to pay £150 for him, to the girl behind the desk with zero people skills, who was actually quite rude to me. But whatever; it’s all for a good cause right? and at least I know it’s all above board and ownership will be signed over to me etc.

To be fair, I would probably develop an attitude problem after working somewhere like that for a while, dealing with people dumping their once beloved family pets there. Breaks my heart!

{97702}

Visit site
Well, the thought did cross my mind. Especially as I pledged to pay £150 for him, to the girl behind the desk with zero people skills, who was actually quite rude to me. But whatever; it’s all for a good cause right? and at least I know it’s all above board and ownership will be signed over to me etc.

To be fair, I would probably develop an attitude problem after working somewhere like that for a while, dealing with people dumping their once beloved family pets there. Breaks my heart!

I agree totally with all of that - to be honest however much I say I wouldn’t have declared him I probably would just to be sure it was all legal and above board. I wouldn’t want anything to happen which might mean he would be taken away from me again! 😊

ponyparty

Visit site
The previous owners told me that if I do decide to have him, I could have his bed, bowls etc, and gave me their number.

Do I want to introduce smells from his old home though? WIll this make him feel better or miss his old owners? Also, don’t really want them to have my number. They were a bit weird, don’t want any future trouble.

Think I’ve talked myself out of doing that..! He can have his own new stuff or spares we have lying around.

Stiff Knees

Visit site
The previous owners told me that if I do decide to have him, I could have his bed, bowls etc, and gave me their number.

Do I want to introduce smells from his old home though? WIll this make him feel better or miss his old owners? Also, don’t really want them to have my number. They were a bit weird, don’t want any future trouble.

Think I’ve talked myself out of doing that..! He can have his own new stuff or spares we have lying around.
I'd be reluctant to have any contact with his old owners...or any of his old stuff.

Shady

Visit site
I just did the fastest poo pick in history and then the bloody Weim ran away with the bucket and I was chasing him around yelling at him to bring it feckin back cos I wanted to see if PP got her dog........:D

Yayyyyyy PP. Sooooooooooo happy for you both. Nothing to add on the introduction that hasn't already been said by posters much better than me at bringing in a newbie.
Keep us posted:) xx

ponyparty

Visit site
I just did the fastest poo pick in history and then the bloody Weim ran away with the bucket and I was chasing him around yelling at him to bring it feckin back cos I wanted to see if PP got her dog........:D

Yayyyyyy PP. Sooooooooooo happy for you both. Nothing to add on the introduction that hasn't already been said by posters much better than me at bringing in a newbie.
Keep us posted:) xx

Bwahahaha hilarious image in my head of you chasing errant Weim around!

Ahhhhh i’m so excited to bring him home! Will keep you all updated, might need to pick some brains if things don’t go as smoothly as I hope they will. Some great advice already though so fingers crossed we’ll get it right and all will be well!

Thanks all for the well wishes 😊 xx

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
The tail wagging so fast it’s a blur!!

To cement a safe introduction, take them for a walk before George even gets in the house. You and OH, dog each on the outside so 2 people between them, then put one dog on the inside so only one person between them then see if they’re ok to walk side by side together, obviously on leads. Be ready to move apart if needed.

Separate overnight or when home alone.

meleeka

Visit site
Wonderful news and he looks a lot like my dads rescued terrier so I’m sure he’ll be amazing 😀

Echo above, definitely do not contact the old owners. They don’t deserve to know he got a happy ending.

With regard t introducing, I agree with the above. Don’t go straight into the house but one of you get your current dog and take for a walk. If you can leave new dog in the car while you greet current dog all the better, then one of you walk away with current dog and just happen to be walking the same way as the one with the new dog. Try and avoid any face to face introductions. It takes the pressure off if current dog can just walk near and eventually have a sniff without any potential face off. That’s how we introduced my dog and dads dog, who are both JRT and neither likely to back down in an argument. By the time the walk was over they’d sniffed each other and decided they weren’t threatened at all. Definitely feed in separate rooms and keep apart for.now until you’re certain they are going to get on.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Fantastic news, Im so chuffed for you and George. Best way to introduce imo is to accidentally bump into each other on neutral ground, then go home together. Definitely remove toys and anything that could become a possession issue, feed separately to start with just in case either take exception to sharing and try and keep them apart initially whilst you arent there, a stairgate between rooms might be worth a try, they can still interact but not fight. Good luck and do keep us updated with lots of pics

silv

Visit site
What a wee darling, he looks like he will have a huge personality. I am sure he will bring you great happiness in years to come and vice versa. Look forward to lots of updates.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Aw what a wonderful outcome for him. He is gorgeous and it was obviously meant to be! My farrier's JRT made it to 24 so at 11 he is just a youngster!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
What a lovely thread.

I cant believe the rescue would charge you a big adoption fee considering you'd saved the dog, spent time finding its old owner and offered him a home. As for the old owner, words fail me (and sadly there are a lot of old owners like that around!).

Hope all is going well. Bear in mind it may take a couple of weeks for your dogs to settle and get along. There may be jealousy and squabbles for your attention by both. I echo previous suggestions of removing toys, putting beds and feeds well apart, and taking them for lots of walks together. We've had a real assortment of reacue dogs, some nervous, some cocky, and theyve all settled down and got on after a bit of time (the most recent one was terrified of our exisiting older dog at first, but now adores him and is like his shadow).

ponyparty

Visit site
I thought I had posted yesterday about my home check, I didn't hit send though! Must have got sidetracked by baby.

Yes we had the home check, it all went fine as expected. I will be collecting him around lunchtime today - my sister is coming over to watch baby, boyfriend is coming home from work to take our current dog to the park to meet us there, and I am collecting little George.

I've bought him his own bed, we have so many but they all stink of Frank. I figured at least this one can be "his". They provde lead and collar and tag etc, and we had spare bowls knocking around already. I haven't gone mad buying him things in case it doesn't work out; I don't want to jinx it!

Will let you know what happens later!

I found some Yucalm tablets so have been giving them to Frank the last couple of days and will start George on them too when he arrives, don't know if they actually do anything as they're only herbals but worth a shot if it reduces stress for them both. Thinking I might pick up an Adaptil diffuser from the vets on my way to collect him too...

gallopingby

Visit site
Adaptil works well, l normally use the collars if l have a foster dog, but buy them online at a more reasonable cost as can be very expensive depending on the mark up.

ponyparty

Visit site
He's here! We met at the park, Frank really isn't sure of him, he's quite wary! But hopefully they'll settle in time.

He doesn't like dog treats - well, not expensive grain free ones anyway - but loves raw carrot (like every terrier I've ever met). He sounds like a seal when he barks, though he has lost his voice a bit from barking lots in kennels.

His poos are liquid, they told me not to change his diet from the low cal kibble they were feeding him at the Dogs Home but I'm going to put him on raw like Frank - cannot cope with liquid dog shit! Bleurgh! Clearly it's not doing him any good..! Though he has lost weight since I saw saw him. He weighs 8.7kg apparently... Thats quite a lot for a little Jack Russell!

Hopefully lots of walks and decent food will sort him out.

He's also a little escape artist, darted out of my car boot before I even had it open. Will have to be REALLY careful about that. He doesn't respond to his name, or any commands except a very half-arsed sit for a treat.

Going to be interesting seeing how he settles in and what he's like once he's lost some weight and is a bit healthier!