Found stray dog... We might be having him!

Parrotperson

Visit site
oh he's lovely! well done. I'm sure with a bit off love and work he'll settle down. if he's anything like my jrt you may need a cage in the car.....😳😂

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Agree PP, my jrt is the one and only dog Ive ever needed a crate in the pick up for :) He looks like a lovely little chap though, good luck with him, you do sound as if youve covered all the bases x

ponyparty

Visit site
Oh dear, better look at crates for my boot then... my boot is tiny though. I promised OH i wouldn't moan about the size of my car again if he let me have this dog so better keep this potential issue under wraps for now haha.

ponyparty

Visit site
What car have you got??

A Suzuki Celerio... The boot can fit two dogs, just not sure about crate(s). For the moment it'll be new boy in the boot, with harness on, which will be clipped to a headrest so he can't make a break for freedom upon the boot opening; and Frank on the back seat with his doggy seatbelt on. Until I can trust them together, anyway. Don't want any potential for scrapping while I'm driving!

It makes me realise how convenient it is to have a well trained dog like Frank haha I don't have to worry about him jumping out as he will wait for the "ok" command..!

ponyparty

Visit site
Also... how can one small Jack Russell be so hairy? I am covered in hairs already! I'm not used to this, Manchester Terriers barely shed and their hairs are so tiny you don't really notice them! Going to get to work with a furminator and give him a bath later too, he's slightly stinky...

meleeka

Visit site
He’s made himself right at home by the looks of it, a proper terrier 😀

His weight doesn’t look too bad just a bit ‘lumpy’. Good idea to clip harness to headrest. My friend has never bothered training her dogs not to jump out so that’s What she does. JRT’s do moult a lot, all year, so I’m sorry to say you’d best invest in industrial quantities of those sticky hair removers. Mine is white and Ive said my next dog will definitely be black!

I hope he knows how lucky he is and has a long and lovely life with you 😀

ponyparty

Visit site
Well he certainly approves of raw food! Lamb and tripe today, he couldn't get it down his neck fast enough. I hope it sorts his poos out, the one he did just before I brought him back from the dogs home was so liquid it was actually impossible to pick up.
I've fed them a bit early in the hope that, if it doesn't agree with him, any accidents will be before bed time!

Clodagh

Visit site
Frank looks permanently startled with those ears, so it is hard to see what he thinks!
I am so pleased it is going OK so far...don't let them play too much for now, too much excitement can lead to upsets. :). Also keep an eye out for him getting tired.

{97702}

Visit site
Well he certainly approves of raw food! Lamb and tripe today, he couldn't get it down his neck fast enough. I hope it sorts his poos out, the one he did just before I brought him back from the dogs home was so liquid it was actually impossible to pick up.
I've fed them a bit early in the hope that, if it doesn't agree with him, any accidents will be before bed time!

In my experience raw very rarely disagrees with them, so fingers crossed 😊 I have to admit I’m getting all carried away following your thread, it is a lovely example of why I adopt rescue dogs - they are so rewarding 😊😊😊

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I love Frank's ears, they look like cartoon ears! i also like those names together. sounds lime its going well generally. poor little man, who could dump him!

ponyparty

Visit site
Oh yes Clodagh, not too much playing - it was more just both of them doing the play stance/bow. No contact made, just a bit of back and forth towards and away from each other, bums in the air. Then Frank did his standard "Manchester Terrier Wall of Death" trick on the sofa while George looked on, somewhat confused. I can't say I blame him really!

He knows which his bed is and will go to it on command; he does sleep a lot, bless him, must be his age. Plus all the new stimulation, I bet is tiring.

Took them for a walk at the yard yesterday - we have woods and a huge XC field we can ride/walk the dogs around. He was bounding through the grass like a little rabbit. He is fatter than he looks in the pics, Franks harness (size Large) fits him with a bit of adjusting! He's in a harness and on an extending lead for "off lead" walks at the moment, until I have done some training with him and we trust each other. Hopefully I'll be able to graduate to a long line and eventually off lead altogether - we'll have to see how he goes though.

He's fine with horses, thank goodness. Apparently his previous family got him from a yard, the dad's a bricklayer and was building some stables. So he had seen horses before, albeit 9 years ago..! He completely ignored them, so that's good.

Took him out for last toilet at 10pm last night, he only wee'd though; when I got up at 6 he had poo'd in the side alley (I can see why, it's sort of like outside, slabbed, but is covered - the dog flap to the garden goes from there so I leave the kitchen door open overnight). He hasn't learnt how to use the dog flap yet, he's a bit wary of it as I went for the cheapest option so it makes quite a clatter! Will try and train him to use that today as it'll make life a lot easier for everyone. I'm happy to report that the poo was solid though. Raw food really is the best!

George is definitely the dominant one out of him and Frank; typical JRT, small but feisty. Frank is very much submissive in his body language around George, I feel bad for him as the "original dog" and am reassuring him but without going too overboard, I don't want to create jealousy. Just because I think Frank should be boss in his own home, doesn't mean that applies in dog logic! Frank is also submissive towards my mum's Maltese dog - he really tells him off sometimes if he thinks Frank is going too overboard with the playing etc! Frank backs off immediately and looks very contrite. So if this is the way it's going to be, that's fine - they sort their own pecking order out and as long as they both know where they stand and there are no arguments I guess that's normal?

Clodagh

Visit site
That sounds fantastic. What a great start. Such as lucky boy.
I always hate them sorting their own pecking order, I feel sorry for the older or earlier one getting displaced from where we feel they should be but they all seem happy enough with the arrangement.
I am so pleased for you all. :)

ponyparty

Visit site
Little update: he's off to the vets today for a weigh in and claw clip - his claws are soooo long, from not being walked!

He is SUCH a yapper, if you pick up your keys or anything he barks, if he's in the car and you stop at lights he barks, basically he barks at anything! He is also a fox-poo-roller :-l Frank has never roled in poo of any description, he doesn't like getting dirty, so this was a shock to the system (and the sense of smell!). Bleurgh. So he's now had his second bath in less than a week haha!

However, he's a sweet little thing, loves a fuss, he and Frank are getting on better every day - yesterday, while I was feeding baby, Frank was all snuggled up next to me, and George jumped up on the sofa next to me as well, on the same side, touching Frank! And they had a little snooze there together for a while.

Anyway, my baby is going through a super-annoying phase of doing really high pitched noises for fun, I much prefer the yapping little seal-dog's noise to the high pitched shrieking! He actually does it on purpose to get Frank to howl, and then laughs his head off. I don't know how to train him to stop it, I'm not bad at training dogs but babies are a whole different ball game :-/ it's probably just another one of those annoying "oh you'll just have to ride it out!" things isn't it.... urrrrgh why did I have a baby!!!!! Horses and dogs only from now on!

meleeka

Visit site
I think most JRT’s like the sound of their own voices. They are so quite disgusting at time and lack the social etiquette that it sounds like Frank has. Rolling in fox poo is just one example! 😂 Life is probably very exciting at the moment so the barking may well improve with time. Mine doesn’t bark out of excitement but her favourite thing is to bark at absolutely nothing in the garden, only in the evenings though. Her tail wags and she puts her all into it. She always looks so disappointed when I call her in.

Good luck with the baby training. They are definitely harder to train than dogs. 😀

ponyparty

Visit site
I always think the best way with babies is to give them to Barnardo's until their 18...........😎

I wish!!! Or at least be super rich so I can have a 24/7 nanny so I don't have to actually deal with him when he's being annoying? And might get some sleep from time to time?

Is it wrong to say your baby is annoying? I am past caring, I'm saying it, he is! He's just woken 20 mins early from his nap; I am despairing, I thought I would have time for one last nice, proper, coffee at least before he woke and the onslaught began again. Ah well, 2.5 hours til OH comes home and I can escape to the horses! At least he hasn't started the high pitched shrieking again yet, I've managed to distract him with a rice cake!

Good job gorgeous Geroge is half deaf (I think - or has seriously selective hearing), and came from a house with a baby in residence so he's used to it - he's definitely more chilled about it than me haha!

HEM

Visit site
Glad that little George is settling in, even if he is doubling your water bill with all the baths! :p

Ahaha baby training is not my forte either! but I am sure he will grow out of it. ;)