Frankel

DH1

Visit site
Wow! what a truly magnificent, unique and wonderful horse. I don't mind admitting I was quite emotional watching that legendary performance.

olop

Visit site
Awesome horse, just awesome! I really don't know if we will ever see a horse like him again.
He just makes the other horses look rubbish and they are still all quality horses!

CBAnglo

Visit site
It was awesome. I was lucky enough to be in a box in the Royal Enclosure which was situated just on the finish line and it was amazing - everyone was standing up and cheering.

TeamChaser

Visit site
I was also there and he just took my breath away. Absolutely breathtaking in the flesh - total power house

I believe he is still entire and is now the highest rated horse in Timeform history - deserved I would say :D Just awesome!

KautoStar1

Visit site
Nick Mordin did some analysis of Frankel after his Lockinge win last month, which is very interesteing - see below. Wonder what the stats will be for his run yesterday.
He is awesome, no doubt about that. :)

"It's quite easy to tell when the horses pass the five furlong marker from videos of races at Newbury. They cross the camera at that point, the rails on the near side end and the five furlong marker itself is very obvious.
This being so, I know I've clocked the final five furlongs for all the races at Newbury last Saturday accurately. I mention this because not only did FRANKEL (47) run much closer to my standard times (and everybody's) than any other winner on the card, he also ran the final five furlongs much faster.
The only horse to come close to Frankel's final five furlongs was Palace Moon, a Listed class sprinter. In his race they ran the last five furlongs 1.2 seconds slower than they did in Frankel's Lockinge. Seeing how fast Frankel had run the first three furlongs of his race and that Palace Moon's race was two furlongs shorter simply equalling the final five furlong time of the sprint would have entitled Frankel to a solid Group 1 speed rating. Running 1.2 seconds faster amazes me.
Frankel does seem to be an almost unstoppable force over a mile. And his pedigree, physique and big stride all indicate he's crying out for ten furlongs. However I don't think it would be a great idea to step him up in distance at Royal Ascot for the Prince Of Wales Stakes. He came closest to defeat when only just scraping home in the St James's Palace Stakes at the same meeting last year. It may very well be that his huge stride makes him unsuited to tracks with relatively short home straights like Ascot's round course. If he were mind I wouldn't risk his unbeaten record there. I would wait for the longer home straights provided by Sandown's Eclipse Stakes or York's Juddmonte International.
Out of interest I counted how many strides Frankel took to cover the last five furlongs. It was 135. That means his stride length was 24.4 feet, a bit more than 10% longer than average. At the slightly slower pace he'd be going over ten furlongs he would probably adopt a longer stride of around 27 feet. Indeed I bet he's already done that in races where he hasn't been pressed to go as fast as he was here."

patchwork puzzle

Visit site
Absolutely amazing, only saw it by chance as it was on instead of our normal programme at my last tea break at work. Huge talent and a stunning looking horse too. :)

Honeylight

Visit site
Yes, he is very good. However, does anyone remember Brigadier Gerard?
Yes I remember him & I cried when the American horse beat him (Roberto) at York.
Think Frankel would have beaten him too. Hope Cecil doesn't run him at York it has been an unlucky race for top class horses.

Diesal

Visit site
Frankel is just awesome! I have never seen him in the flesh but I would love to. I am dead jealous of everyone who was there to see it live.

I remember Brigadier Gerard too - wasn't there some sadness after he had finished racing? I seem to remember him being on the news as being discovered starving and neglected for or maybe that was a different horse.

Honeylight

Visit site
Frankel is just awesome! I have never seen him in the flesh but I would love to. I am dead jealous of everyone who was there to see it live.

I remember Brigadier Gerard too - wasn't there some sadness after he had finished racing? I seem to remember him being on the news as being discovered starving and neglected for or maybe that was a different horse.

I think it might have been Hello Dandy, the Grand National winner you are thinking of. Brigadier Gerard went to stud, where, as a chance bred horse, he was not a great success. He sired a winner of a Champion Stakes & a winner of the St Leger. He is rarely seen in today's pedigrees.