Freezemark or Mircochip?

Flash_28

Visit site
Going on from the "where to freezemark" thread I have been wondering for quite a while now if it is worth freezemarking too? My 2 ponies were freezemarked 19 years ago and then microchipped when I had my passports done (it made it cheaper even with the cost of microchipping). But then my TBs and new guy just have a microchip. I have been wondering for a while if it is worth getting my remaining guys and girl freezemarked too. Just wondering how many people have both marked and chipped really.

Last edited:

varkie

www.varkiesstud.co.uk
Both. Everything I own is microchipped, and I'm now working my way through, freezemarking.

If I truly had to pick one, it would be freezemarking - if your horse is ever stolen, no machine is needed to see it, and even a non horsey person would be able to read it.

Flash_28

Visit site
Thanks for your replies so far :) Seems that most people are thinking along the same lines as me. My mum thinks I'm overreacting though, which is why it prompted the question. But it is a very good point that even a non horsey person would be able to read the freezemark. Think I had best start saving! At least I have a while before I need the new guy doing as he is yet to make up his mind on if he's a grey, a roan or something else! :)

OWLIE185

Visit site
As a Horsewatch representetive I can assure you that Freezemearking is the best deterrent and also results in the largest numbers of stolen horses being recovered. The reason being is that a Freezemark can be seen and read by anyone. It is also easy for a police officer to identify a horse that has been stolen and ended up at the other end of the country purely by reading the freezemark.
Microchipping presents problems as there are about 6 different systems the readers of some not being able to identify other microchips. Recently they introduced a European standard for micro-chipping but so many horses have the different old style ones that it will take many years untio everyone is runnning on Euro standard ones.
Best advice is to Freezemark your horse on it's shoulder and update the NED-Online database (National Equesstrian Database) of your horses freezemark. Also take photos of your horse from both sides and front and rear and keep them in a safe place just in case your horse is stolen.

Theresa_F

Visit site
I have both, though do agree with nativeponies that we need a central database that is easily accessible. Agree with the comment about passports - waste of time as so easy to get a new one and don't prove anything.

varkie

www.varkiesstud.co.uk
I don't agree that either are easy to tamper with - possible, but not easy.

I also don't think they're a waste of money - in fact, I think they are probably some of the best money you could ever spend on a horse, assuming you ever want to get it back in the event that it is stolen.

And there already is the National Equine Database - so we don't need another / new one. But the NED does need dramatic changes made on it to make it effective, as it's not great at the moment.

Carefreegirl

Visit site
My retard racehorse, oh sorry retrained racehorse came with a microchip but have had her freeze marked. I did go to a show where they scanned her to checked she was who she was supposed to be.