Freezemarking, are your horses done?

kaiserchief

Visit site
Mine is freezemarked and I would have all future horses freezemarked without a hint of hesitation. My friend's unfreezemarked pony was stolen several years ago, and traipsing round horse sales looking for him, I struggled to get close enough to look for identifying marks like scars or whorls without arousing suspicion. Definitely wouldn't have been able to scan for microchips, even assuming I was able to get hold of a microchip scanner!

So for this reason, a visual, personalised "numberplate" on the horse is the best form of ID in my humble opinion. Plus Kai's is a personalised mark which I love - K4SR (Kaiser).

966855_10152842591315360_932307984_o1.jpg
[/URL]

Patterdale

Visit site
No, my horse is uncatchable, there is a specific routine to catching him, he only lets me do it and no one else would have a hope. I could tape £50 notes to him and light a pathway to his field and I still wouldn't be worried :D

catroo

Visit site
Does anyone know the answer to my earlier question,about whether horses going thru sales have their freeze marks (and/or chips) checked/looked into to verify they aren't stolen/belong to the person putting them thru the sale? I'm genuinely interested.:)

Certainly not always, a stolen freeze marked horse went through the sales about three years ago, it was bought by a fellow livery. She found out when she rang the company to register her details, turns out he was stolen from a yard two years previous less than 20 miles away.

The person who she bought him from at the sales was a genuine private owner who had previously bought him at another auction but never called the freeze mark company to change details so didn't know. The horse in question had gone through at least two auctions without being checked.

Happy ending though, livery got to keep the horse as the owners he was stolen from were happy that he was now safe and had a good home.

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
I have nugz freezemarked, and microchipped. The little horseshoe shape to indicate his microchip was at the time, just as expensive as to chose your own freezemark. So I personalised :D It should read NUG2, but as you can see, it didn't take very well and I gave up trying to get Farmkey back out to re-do :(

nugzclip_zps70641c4c.jpg

Mind you, at least it is distinct...

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I have nugz freezemarked, and microchipped. The little horseshoe shape to indicate his microchip was at the time, just as expensive as to chose your own freezemark. So I personalised :D It should read NUG2, but as you can see, it didn't take very well and I gave up trying to get Farmkey back out to re-do :(

nugzclip_zps70641c4c.jpg

Mind you, at least it is distinct...

I would get onto them again and say your service has not been complete, you need it remarked and previous attempt's them to come has failed. Do it in writing and bbc it back to yourself.

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
I would get onto them again and say your service has not been complete, you need it remarked and previous attempt's them to come has failed. Do it in writing and bbc it back to yourself.
It was done about 4 years ago, I gave up after about a year of trying (4 month delay as was showing at wanted to be able to ride him so didn't want the scabbing etc.)

Although just noticed that they are based in Nantwich, which is about 5 miles away so might give them a call. I need to renew soon anyway, so will see what they say.

Hippona

Visit site
Two are....the two which would be most likely to be nicked.
Had them done when we were on livery and a man was seen in the field taking an interest in the mare...she's a traditional cob type with feathers.
The grey isn't but he is microchipped. My last grey was freezemarked and it was a waste of time....couldn't see it. Nobody would get near him anyway.

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
No one with a mare or a coloured or a mini should even consider NOT getting them done as these are the most common theft targets. Personally I think all horses should be done.

Both of mine are, gelding has normal Freezemarking of T0AD which suits him as he can be a Toad!

Mare has breed branding (edelweiss and GBH as she's a GB reg Haffie), microchip and personalised Freezemarking of 1HAF. Might sound like overkill but we were next to a travellers site whose residents took an unhealthy interest in her (they weren't familiar with the genetics of Haflinger being chestnut+flaxen mane and tail rather than palomino dilute!!).

To me it's a total no brainer and part of looking after your horse or pony like feeding and grooming them.

Fallenrose

Visit site
I am seriously considering getting my coloured mare (sports horse, not traditional) done. It's only £50 you have to spend once (hopefully!).

My livery yard is remote and inaccessible, and the grazing is also not accessible/visible from a road - this is why I didn't get it done as soon as I bought her (I consider the risk of her being stolen low). Did get her chipped though.

Her shoulders are white, as is where it would go on her neck. I want it to be visible when I ride her (as a deterrent), so not under her saddle. My question is - would they mark anywhere else?

Are there reasons why freeze marks tend to be in those places?

BayLady

Visit site
Can you freezemark on the neck? My boy is chestnut but goes very light, palomino in colour, during the summer. I think this may mean that a shoulder marking would be preferable, but I wonder if it could go on his neck as an alternative, it would be hidden under his mane for the most part but would show if he was plaited and would be easy to see by just lifting his mane. I don't use neck covers on him so it would be more visible than shoulder in terms of not being covered by a rug.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Can you freezemark on the neck? My boy is chestnut but goes very light, palomino in colour, during the summer. I think this may mean that a shoulder marking would be preferable, but I wonder if it could go on his neck as an alternative, it would be hidden under his mane for the most part but would show if he was plaited and would be easy to see by just lifting his mane. I don't use neck covers on him so it would be more visible than shoulder in terms of not being covered by a rug.

Yes you can I knew an arab done on her neck

klipped

Visit site
Yes!!!!!! 8 years ago my horses were stolen along with a friends 2. My four were found together in a farmers field 50 miles away with 24 hours. Hers sadly were never found.

Mine were all marked. Therefore dumped.
Hers weren't.
I'd never not have mine done now. I have foals and literally lose sleep till they turn a year old and can be done.

With regards to "I have a show horse would ruin it" I'd pick my horses safety over a ribbon any day of the week, and in the past judges have commented on how rarely seen freeze marking is these days. Rarely would you lose a mark for protecting your horse!

Each to their own, but I know 100% I wouldn't have my old guys now if they hadn't been done back then.

And today, they will steal anything xxx

clairebearnz

Visit site

All Standardbred racehorses in NZ and Aussie are branded on the neck.

Clare85

Visit site
Yes!!!!!! 8 years ago my horses were stolen along with a friends 2. My four were found together in a farmers field 50 miles away with 24 hours. Hers sadly were never found.

Mine were all marked. Therefore dumped.
Hers weren't.
I'd never not have mine done now. I have foals and literally lose sleep till they turn a year old and can be done.

With regards to "I have a show horse would ruin it" I'd pick my horses safety over a ribbon any day of the week, and in the past judges have commented on how rarely seen freeze marking is these days. Rarely would you lose a mark for protecting your horse!

Each to their own, but I know 100% I wouldn't have my old guys now if they hadn't been done back then.

And today, they will steal anything xxx

This says it all. Security over vanity any day.

Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Visit site

One company will, on company won't. I had to sign a disclaimer to acknowledge that the neck is easily rubbed and the mark could be affected. My horse did rub a little but not enough to disturb the mark. It does need to be re-done as it's not come through properly, but the same goes for my pony as you can't see she's had it done at all (she's grey and had it on the shoulder).
185124_10151026947150792_760846256_n.jpg

rachyblue

Visit site
My Shetland had his on his neck as he was skewbald and his back area was white. My friend had her piebald cob done at the same time and they did his on a black patch on his shoulder.

rachyblue

Visit site
It's true though that people don't update them or check at sale. I bought my old boy without his freeze mark papers but we did give Farmkey a call to check he wasn't stolen. When I checked him out later after buying him the last registered owners were the ones who freeze marked him 14 years earlier. There was a 9 year gap between them selling and me buying and no one thought to update him.
And we suspect he passed through auction.

BayLady

Visit site
Thanks for the neck marking info, I'll have to enquire with Farmkey if one co will and the other won't. I want to reuse my old mares mark ideally.