Freezemarking, why do people seem against it?

jinxy

Visit site
I am getting my horse freezemarked and thought that I would ask others on the yard if they wanted their horses done. At the weekend there were three of us and now there is only me.

This happened before I moved my horse and was thinking about getting it done, no one wanted to know. Am I being abit thick? Why do people seem so against it? It is putting doubts in my mind as to whether it is the right thing to do.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
It's a personal thing, some people like them, others like me loathe them..
I agree as a safety precaution they are a great idea, just hate spoiling the look of our horses which is why we microchip instead.
If you don't mind the look, get it done, I am positive it would prevent someone attempting to sell your horse if stolen, and unless you live out in the wilds that's always a risk.

D

Donkeymad

Because they don't want to ruin the look of their horse.
confused.gif

When I look at all my animals, I do not 'see' the freezemark, I see my horse with an unusual marking. A marking that will protect them. Microchips just do NOT have the same security.

Forget the rest, do the best for your horse and have the Freezemark done.

Patches

Visit site
I don't even notice it on my horse...mind you that's because it's a bald mark as she's grey and it's one of the letters is hard to make out anyway!
grin.gif

I had Patches done because she's the classical type of horse to steal that is easy to sell on. Good cobs are never for sale long.

I want to get Oliver done, but have been put off because of the prejudice towards the mark in the show ring in some quarters. It's not supposed to matter, but to some it clearly does.

katie_southwest

Visit site
I am going to get my mare done soon..I dont care what she looks like..I just care that she is still in the field when I get there..and if she was taken people would have something to look for if they spotted her
smile.gif

Bounty

www.freewebs.com
I had two of mine done in Feb, and will have my other mare done once she is no longer in foal, and my latest recruit done at the same time.

I had mine marked on the shoulder - I don't care what it looks like and don't notice it when I look at the horse as a whole.

the watcher

Visit site
Likewise, mline have always been marked in the most visible spot, i will do whatever I need to do to protect them - if we slide down a couple of places showing, I am prepared to live with that, attitudes will change in time

Stella

Visit site
I don't do showing, dressage is my thing. Therefore, maybe its different for me, but the appearance of a freezemark to me doesn't look like a bad thing, more a sign that someone cares! My mare is done on her shoulder with her initial followed by mine. If God forbid, the worst should ever happen, I won't have to worry about giving the correct number because its so memorable.

conniegirl

Visit site
all 5 of mine are Freezemarked, and all 5 are show ponies, never counted against them and never bothered me.

Microchipping is a waste of time and money as the auctions dont tend to scan for them but they do look for freezemarks. The meat man wont bother to look for a microchip either! They are not a visable deterrant at all and should the horse be stolen, Joe blogs off the street who has no knowlege of horses is more likely to spot a horse with the number AB12 on its back rather then a bay horse with 2 white socks and a couple of whorls (if he even knows what 2 white socks means or whorls are). Joe blogs does not carry a microchip scanner in his pocket however Joe blogs will have eyes! Also you often miss microchips with a scanner or they move or they just dont register on that particular make of scanner.

RuthP

Visit site
i can remember showing my old pony a few years ago, took off saddles and as the judge came over he said- 'i see you have your pony freeze marked, very good, very clever to do that'. she was the only pony there that was freeze marked and the judge seemed to prefer that i was caring for and protecting the pony rather than bothering about looks!

ISHmad

Visit site
All ours are freezemarked and any new horses always would be too. I'd far rather have a practically 100% chance of my horses being recovered should they be stolen than risk losing them because I didn't like how it looked!

dressager

Visit site
All my previous horses have been freeze marked including our 3 Miniatures - looks huuuge on them but they are a prime target for theives. Couldn't read the numbers at all on my old grey pony but at least it was something!

The new boys isn't freeze marked but he has a breed stamp with a unique number on it which you can't miss. Do people get horses with a brand like his freeze marked also? I'm sure a branded Trakhener at my old yard used to have a freeze mark also? Any benefit for this???

D

Donkeymad

It would be much quicker and easier to trace a Freezemark than a stud/breed brand.

Gorgeous George

Visit site
I had George freeze marked soon after I got him, but no-one at my yard wanted their horses done. I heard about a yard where thieves came to steal horses and took a number, but those they left behind had their rugs pulled back and all were freeze marked - don't know if it's true but makes you think.

ISHmad

Visit site
I've heard that before Gorgeous George. Also there have been cases where freezemarked horses have been dumped elsewhere the next day as soon as people realise they are marked...

To me it's a no brainer about freezemarking.

Accy

Visit site
I had both mine Freezemarked at the weekend and when some of the other realized what was being done they got there horses done as well, I am so glad i had it done, and to be honest even though i Show sometimes if it counts against them i dont care because if helps to keep them safe

Grey_Arab

Visit site
My boy is freeze marked, (on the shoulder as he's grey) and I've never once regretted it, I don't notice it and people find it funny as it says his name (R0SS), better safe than sorry!