Fresh or happy

Horsekaren

Visit site
Well my cheeky chap is now in his new paddock (set 10 meters back from the herd) He had been isolated for 7 weeks kept at least 300 meters away :(
He went into his new paddock this week and as soon as i let him go he bronked across the field bucking and farting and then galloped around the fence line stopping for grass every now and then, he would then run back to me with bright eyes, let me pet him then off he went again... This lasted all of 5 mins then he settled to eat.

He doesn't seem to be calling to the others, even when they call to him. I have to walk him around the herds field to bring him in and the mares all come and follow him so he is a bit on his toes. As we get to the top of their field the herd all come running and again he gets very blowy.

This morning i lunged him and he was alive! , we didnt do one circle of trot before he decided he want to bolt around on the lunge line as if to bronk, after a few mins he settled until i changed rein then he wanted to fart around again. He has been a Zombie for the last 7 weeks

My question is would you put this down to the big chill in the air or perhaps a horse that is feeling a bit happier

Carrottom

Visit site
Does his new paddock have new grass? I.e. not grazed for a while. This might be a factor. Also, it sounds like he is more relaxed in his paddock so maybe more rested.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Sorry if I've missed it but you don't say why he's now being kept in isolation? Without seeing the horse in question it's hard to judge, but I'd say it actually sounds like he's a bit unsettled at the moment. That said, the cold snap has certainly had my boy on his toes this last week or so so it could be weather related. You know your horse best, so trust your gut.

Ellietotz

Visit site
As above with being more relaxed so potentially getting more energy along with a mix of a late flush of grass, cold and windy etc. Most will have a funny 5 this time of year. I wouldn't worry, he just sounds really full of it, bless him. Just needs to let off some steam!
Also if the other herd are going mental as well when they see him, that will understandably make him more excited. They're like dominoes, as soon as one starts going off on one, they all join in!

9tails

Visit site
It's pretty normal behaviour for a new field move with new neighbours. Horses following the led horse along the fenceline is the best time to show off and prance.

Horsekaren

Visit site
He has been been in isolation as he just got way to dominant and then tried to serve a couple of the new mares. He had lived happily with a mixed herd his entire life but since the two new mares (one in particular always trying to get his attention) he had a mad moment and has been kept out of sight of the herd.

He coped with isolation well but would often stand at the fence line wondering where all the other horses were calling. He didnt run or play unless spooking and he would call at the sight of a person or another horse.

The grass has been rested for about a month but he has been on zero grass for the last 6 weeks as he gobbled it all so i guess that is playing a part.

Just wish i could ask him if he is happy or actually finding it stress full to be so close to them but unable to be with them. I cant imagine he is too bothered as when he was with them he was always a loaner.

Wish i could stop this one mare from following him

Sorry if I've missed it but you don't say why he's now being kept in isolation? Without seeing the horse in question it's hard to judge, but I'd say it actually sounds like he's a bit unsettled at the moment. That said, the cold snap has certainly had my boy on his toes this last week or so so it could be weather related. You know your horse best, so trust your gut.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
He has been been in isolation as he just got way to dominant and then tried to serve a couple of the new mares. He had lived happily with a mixed herd his entire life but since the two new mares (one in particular always trying to get his attention) he had a mad moment and has been kept out of sight of the herd.

He coped with isolation well but would often stand at the fence line wondering where all the other horses were calling. He didnt run or play unless spooking and he would call at the sight of a person or another horse.

The grass has been rested for about a month but he has been on zero grass for the last 6 weeks as he gobbled it all so i guess that is playing a part.

Just wish i could ask him if he is happy or actually finding it stress full to be so close to them but unable to be with them. I cant imagine he is too bothered as when he was with them he was always a loaner.

Wish i could stop this one mare from following him

Aww bless you, if only they could talk eh?! Is there any chance one of the other geldings in the mixed herd could go out with him?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
If he were mine I would likely considered him anxious and a bit stressed by the situation.

^^ this

I don't understand your yard at all. So he got a bit frisky with a couple of tarty mares and was banished over 300 yards away with no company whatsoever. That is a very stressful environment for a herd animal. Separate him, sure, but in a field next to other horses. He's not the devil incarnate.
and this.

echo the suggestion to see if you can get a gelding to go in with him. its likely that things will settle down as everyone gets used to the new routine but I have a feeling your horse will appear to get more relaxed but could well actually just get better at hiding his stress.

be positive

Visit site
I don't understand your yard at all. So he got a bit frisky with a couple of tarty mares and was banished over 300 yards away with no company whatsoever. That is a very stressful environment for a herd animal. Separate him, sure, but in a field next to other horses. He's not the devil incarnate.

It sounds as if it was a form of punishment, I don't understand why he cannot have another gelding or two in a field with him away from the mares so he can live a more normal life, some yards do have odd ideas on how to manage their liveries, if he could be 300 yards away they cannot be short of land which is usually the excuse for restricting turnout.

milliepops

Visit site
Agreed, BP.
My YO tried to put my new horse in isolation 300m up the road when she arrived, on her own.
I applaud the attempt to reduce transmission of diseases but I objected strongly to the suggestion that a new horse should be put for 2 weeks out of sight of all the other horses on the property. :rolleyes: esp when we have horses coming and going all the time anyway to use the facilities, some of which stay overnight stabled next to the normal liveries!

I wouldn't allow it to happen to any of my others either, it's a horrible thing to do to a horse. (My suggestion was if no closer paddock could be found that I'd move all 3 of mine to the isolation field and live with the consequences if the new horse brought anything).

blitznbobs

Visit site

How very dare he act like the animal he is...

Horsekaren

Visit site

300 yards was the closest it was more like 600 meters. i just find the entire situation very sad and bless his heart (for those of you that have read my early ramblings about this horse he can be a handful on the ground) but in all of this he has taken every thing in his stride. I know he wasnt happy in his horse prison paddock but he dealt with it ok. To see him play and run i could have cried just to see him feel relaxed and brave enough to buck, fart , roll and run :)

During his 7 week prison stint he did have company of another gelding a few times a week but he was still very bossy. The fact is it is a herd yard so to pull other geldings out of the herd to be with my unsociable horse is a bit of an ask :(

I think the long term goal is to have him next to the herd

He was much calmer coming in just now as the herd didnt all come running (just the one tarty mare) he did come trotting over to me neighing when he see me but whether that is stress im unsure. In all other ways he is just being amazing. This time last year he was a complete nightmare, kicking to be rugged, kicking and feet being done, always pulling faces and just being a somewhat aggressive horse... a lot of that was illness but as soon as we got on top of his behavior and the dominant horse in the feild was PTS he now shows his dominance in herd turn out not to me.

Last edited:

9tails

Visit site
I suggest YO and other owners are playing on your inexperience. Nobody should agree to have their horse isolated for weeks on end with no other equines in sight and expect their horse or themselves to benefit from the experience.

Do your fellow liveries know that you post here? I'm only wondering this as you're quite open to suggestion and keen to understand what most of us consider normal behaviour. Your horse doesn't see you as a dominant mare, he knows you're a human. He clings to you because he has no other interaction.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Mine is only ever a 'big sweetheart' to me when there is something wrong.

Why on earth is he 600 meters away from everyone else? :(

milliepops

Visit site
Mine is only ever a 'big sweetheart' to me when there is something wrong.

same, when mine are relaxed and happy they are mildly interested in the contents of my pockets and would quite like a scratch but otherwise content to do their own things. when I came back from holiday Kira was SOOOO clingy, as a human it was cute but really it was a bit sad, she was being so needy. friend who had been looking after them reported that she had been quite strange while I'd been away. I know that's not about me, per se, it's about familiarity and routine really.I think it's important to look at these things through the eyes of the horse rather than through human emotions.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Genuinely, if he is soppy I immediately wonder what is up. It's obviously not his only reaction to stress, because well he's welsh :p but I wanted to urge caution in seeing similar as a relaxed content horse.

Horsekaren

Visit site
He isnt clingy, he isnt a horse you cuddle but he is being a sweety by just doing as i ask which when i know he has been stressed i see as a good thing. In the past when he has been unhappy he has let me know very loudly and been the furthest thing from a sweetheart.
His is no longer far away from them, he is about 10 meters, he was isolated as no one knew if he was going to be dangerous, jump fences and try and get to the mares or if he was in fact a rig ect, once everything was checked out it was just a case of finding a solution that worked.

I am open to suggestions as i haven't been through or seen any of this before so yes i am keen on other peoples thoughts with more experience. For example him being lively in his new paddock, i see as a relief and him expressing himself may in fact be something completely different.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would not want to keep my horse on this yard, there must be somewhere you can keep him in a gelding only herd. We had 4 horses, we had two who just did not get on and had to be kept separate but we made sure that they both had a suitable field companion, even though it was a pita to have to adjust our arrangements.

Horses need not just to be able to see other horses but to interact properly, mutual grooming etc.

SpringArising

Visit site
You desperately need to tell them that he absolutely can't be kept on his own anymore. Poor thing - what on earth are your YOs (who should know better) thinking?

Leo Walker

Visit site
Mine was miserable at the last yard. She called to me and ran over to me when I arrived, and then followed me round the paddock the whole time I was there. All very sweet looking on the surface, but actually the signs of an unhappy horse. Shes somewhere more suitable now. Shes pleased to see me and most times will amble over, but shes not really fussed if I am there or not, and thats how it should be.

I'm wasting my breath, but I will say it again. YOU. NEED. TO. MOVE!

I know the yard is convenient for you, but its awful for your horse! Hes being kept in an unsuitable way, the school surface where you exercise him the majority of the time is awful and I'm sure there was some issue about the stable not being right for him either wasnt there?

Horsekaren

Visit site
Mine was miserable at the last yard. She called to me and ran over to me when I arrived, and then followed me round the paddock the whole time I was there. All very sweet looking on the surface, but actually the signs of an unhappy horse. Shes somewhere more suitable now. Shes pleased to see me and most times will amble over, but shes not really fussed if I am there or not, and thats how it should be.

I'm wasting my breath, but I will say it again. YOU. NEED. TO. MOVE!

I know the yard is convenient for you, but its awful for your horse! Hes being kept in an unsuitable way, the school surface where you exercise him the majority of the time is awful and I'm sure there was some issue about the stable not being right for him either wasnt there?
Not wasted breath, very real possibility but its finding something that is suitable. I'm smitten with one yard a 25 min drive away which is individual turn out, not to big not to small, 2 school, people seemed lovely but in winter turnout is restricted to 3-4 hours. I want a small yard similar to what i am on with separate herd T/O or individual but with better facilities but there is nothing available.
I do love my current yard but as to whether we can both be happy there with everything that has gone on i just dont know :(

southerncomfort

Visit site
Would it be worth pointing out to YO and others that most mares have had their last seasons now? They won't be tarting about any more so he is unlikely to be particularly interested in them especially if he'd never behaved in that way before.

I agree with LW though. Your yard just isn't right for him, and i know I'm repeating myself too but I honestly think he'd be so much more settled generally if you could get him out out for some long hacks several times a week...in hand if you feel uncomfortable riding him.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Not wasted breath, very real possibility but its finding something that is suitable. I'm smitten with one yard a 25 min drive away which is individual turn out, not to big not to small, 2 school, people seemed lovely but in winter turnout is restricted to 3-4 hours. I want a small yard similar to what i am on with separate herd T/O or individual but with better facilities but there is nothing available.
I do love my current yard but as to whether we can both be happy there with everything that has gone on i just dont know :(

Why do you love your yard? It doesn't really have much going for it imo!
If I were you, I would write a list of what your horse *needs* and then tick all of those things that your yard can give him. A short distance from home for you isn't really one of his needs, tbh, although you can't spend half your day travelling to a yard, obviously. I certainly wouldn't take him to somewhere that only allows individual turnout, that won't meet his needs by the sound of it.

mandyroberts

Visit site
IMHO any horse kept 300-600 yards away from others will not be a happy horse. I think he is a saint for not going completely bonkers. If he is OTT with mares you need to change yards where he can go out with geldings

Horsekaren

Visit site
Why do you love your yard? It doesn't really have much going for it imo!
If I were you, I would write a list of what your horse *needs* and then tick all of those things that your yard can give him. A short distance from home for you isn't really one of his needs, tbh, although you can't spend half your day travelling to a yard, obviously. I certainly wouldn't take him to somewhere that only allows individual turnout, that won't meet his needs by the sound of it.

I love it because its all i know. I am a very anxious person and change scares me, especially as he would need to go on livery and i worry if things aren't done as i do now his bad habits may crop up again. Most of my friends have now moved on from this yard so its not that i'm drawn to staying with friends it's just not knowing if a change would be better or worse. At this stage even a split herd gelding only yard worries me as he just doesn't seem to like any other horses, he gets on with mares but has never been friendly with geldings, always moving them on and away from him, he is just such a loaner. so perhaps individual turn out with neighbors would be a better solution for him... perhaps.

His current turnout time for winter is 7 - 2.30, i finish work at 7 so it is dark, no lights so i cant work him unless i get up really early which i do tend to do.

Is less turnout time better ie 4 hours a day if you can work them after finishing work?

The reality of it is yards are very slim pickings in my area.

Carrottom

Visit site
I think some have missed the point that he is now 10 yards from the rest of the horses. This is probably why he now seems happier. Whilst maybe not ideal, there are some horses that are a right pain to be kept with others, and some mares remain "tarty" even if not in season.